iTunes Questions

Name
David Bridges
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

My sister has an ipod but when ever the music is moved from one destination to another the music comes off her ipod when its plugged in. So is there a way so that even though the music isnt on the ipod it will stay on the computer because at the moment if its not on the computer itunes takes it off the ipod...

(reason being i want to shift stuff off the C drive)
Thanks
Dave

iTunes is the work of the devil !!

I know because I'm doing battle with it myself :(

iTunes can be told what folder to look at when it's installed, the default is my documents/ my music, but there's nothing to stop you from getting it to look elsewhere.

Of course you'll have to store the music in the folder off the c drive too ;)

Sounds like you have automatic syncing between iTunes and the pod, so that whatevers in the iTunes library is automatically copied to the iPod, and if its taken from itunes, its taken off the iPod too.

To stop this happening, plug the iPod in. When the "Devices" section comes up on the left of iTunes, click on "xxx's iPod" and then on "Music" tab at the top of the screen appears. Now uncheck "sync music". Doing this stops iTunes automatically copying your iTunes library into your iPod and allows you to manually move songs yourself when you want. Once the music is on the iPod, it can be moved out of the iTunes library without it being taken off the iPod until you want it to.

while we're on the subject of ipods and itunes........:D

Is there a way to get 1 account to sync with more than 1 device?

I have an iphone, a mini and a nano that I need to sync.

DF i do this with itunes 7.5 it does my 60gb ipod and my ipod touch on the same machine ?

I put all my music in a folder, then go into preferences on itunes, advanced and change the itunes library location in there, delete the old location, then remove all of the music from itunes, tell it to keep the files, then go to file, add to library and add the new folder it should import all the music from the new location, and then sync the ipod with that folder !

Hope that makes sense lol and works for you, its been fine for me :)

See, this is part the reason why I cba with stuff like that. If / When i get an mp3 player, it will have the ability to attach as a mass storage device, that simply plays the damn songs! none of this messing around.

Sorry I know that doesn't help really, and tbh I dont know how to help as I have never owned an ipod etd. Wish I could help, other than to say dont buy apple! :D

I was advised not to sync mine with my laptop and do it manually.

I have a 250Gb external drive with all my iTunes on it (and getting nearly full now). When you set iTunes up, just navigate to the location you store your music, rather than the default iTunes folder on your C drive...I think the 'library' info is still stored in the C-Drive iTunes folder, so don't delete it if you're like me and have dozens of favourites and playlists...
I have checked the "manage music manually" or whatever it is in the options menu, as there's too much to fit on my 80Gb iPod, and just have lots of playlists for when I'm away.
Takes ages to get sorted and will always be a work in progress as songs fall in and out of favour with you, but it can be therapeutic at times of deep pain and stress...or it becomes the cause of deep pain and stress...lol

I don't think I'll be buying an iPod or similar anytime soon. The DRM nonsense is far too limiting compared to buying CD and being able to play it where I choose.

Back