I've gone Mac!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I've only gone and done it :D

After months of contemplating I've finally decided to move over to Mac. Last night I ordered a 20" imac 2.4Ghz with a 500Gb HDD and wireless keyboard and mouse. I can't wait for it to arrive!

I've been a faithfull PC user for more years than I care to remember and have always defended Windows as an OS through all the critisism it receives. So what changed my mind? Windows Vista basically. That, and the fact that I have now been using Macs at work for 5 years along side PC's and have seen first hand just how much more friendly the Mac OS is. Just as one small example, if I turn on a Mac and a PC at the same time, the Mac is sitting there ready for action in about 30 seconds with the CPU usage at 0 - 2%. I have to take my coat off, make myself a coffee and have a chat with my colleagues before the PC is even remotely ready, and even then it'll still sit there running start up processes in the background with the CPU wirring away merrily for some time. I've kind of been in denial for some time but I've finally accepted the inevitable........ I just prefer Mac :love:

BTW please don't let this become a Mac vs PC debate. I'm not criting here and sitisising PC's just because I've bought a Mac. I just wanted to "come out" and share my exciting news (y)

The same thing happened to me. Had been using PC's for all my development work until I started work at a design agency and was given a new G5 to play with. I was surprised at just how easy it was to make the transition plus it's good to be able to use both. Hope you enjoy your new toy :) They are reliable machines and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it. Plus you've got a rather tasty graphics card for gaming.

Im insanely jealous...TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!! I HAVE MONEY AND BISCUITS...Dont leave me here please!

Boooooooooo!!!! ;)

Just kidding, I'm of the opinion that each person should use the setup that works for them best. Macs are great machines and as long as it does what you need, it doesn't matter whether it's got an apple or windows logo on the box.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new setup. Just don't become a Mac fanboy :)

I made the switch last year, if you aren't 100% sure, buy an old Mac off eBay that is running OS-X and see how you get on with that. With in a few weeks I was using my £150 Mac laptop more than my considerably more expensive PC up to date PC, now I've bough a new Mac, ditched the PC and need to list my old Mac on eBay so that someone else can benefit from it!

I'm in the same position at the moment, I'm saving for a Dell laptop for mainly photography little video & Internet But I keep looking at the MAC. I need an unbiased pro/con for both systems. (And the Mac is quite a bit more costly for a similar spec, then there is my files & pictures)

Use both for work, the ibm clones used for day to day stuff,invoicing,email,web and as print/output servers while the macs are only used for design layout, output via the pc's. Go figure.
BTW had/have a mac 512mb all in one unit 110volt cir 1970's me thinks.

[1] (And the Mac is quite a bit more costly for a similar spec,
[2] then there is my files & pictures)

1) the diff is Macs work out of the box, just add RAM; besides, the spec is not similar:
2) a Mac will happily run Windoze and all your old Windoze software. Side-by-side and simultaneously with MacOSX, if you want. Try that on a Windoze box!
I.o.w. get a Mac and you get two machines for the price of one!

I've been toying with the idea of as Mac for a while now. Nothing against PC's but looking at the specs, the Mac seems to suit my purposes better.

Now I have a lot of PC based software, but the main ones are Photoshop and Lightroom. Now I know in theory that you can approach Adobe and get the licenses transfered, but has any one done it and if so how easy is it.

(y) well Done Paul. I have just ordered my new desktop PC, big fat memory/processor/drive heavy thing just for photos. However, I am considering replacing the laptop later this year with a Mac version, but its software :( All mine is pc, especially the expensive stuff [CS3, Office, etc - will I be able to run them on the Mac or does one have to start again?

Thanx for that W.Smith
Im not too sure what you are on about, Im guessing you can simulate a windows platform on a MAC ??

Nice one Paul, I hoping to make the switch soon as well.

Now I have a lot of PC based software, but the main ones are Photoshop and Lightroom. Now I know in theory that you can approach Adobe and get the licenses transfered, but has any one done it and if so how easy is it.

Sorry, your theory is a bit off the mark: in practice you can run all your Windows software natively on a Mac. So no license transfer required.

You can also get your licenses transferred you you can pay for Lightroom/CS3 to use on your PC, then see the light and make the switch and run the OSX versions and get Adobe to give you a new licence number so you don't need to keep switching between Windows and OSX on your Mac.

Sorry, your theory is a bit off the mark: in practice you can run all your Windows software natively on a Mac. So no license transfer required.

I'ts not that straight forward...to run PC software on a Mac you will need to install Windows...either via boot camp or virtualisation software such a Paralles or VMware

The boot camp option requires you to boot into Windows instead of OSX to use the windows applications, the virtualisation way allows you to run Windows and your Windows applications at the same time as OSX.

If you are going to switch to Mac I would recommend that you transfer the Adobe licences...switching to OSX and then still having to run Windows for apps that have mac equivalents seems a bit silly to me :shrug: I'd only recommend running the two OS's together if there was a specific Windows app that wasn't available on the Mac

Think again, slipper: the Macintosh was launched in 1985....

The Macintosh was launced at the beginning of 1984 - hence the TV advert based around the Orsen Wells book 1984. Before '84 though Apple, had been around since 1976 so Slippers machine could be one of the early Apple machines they produced rather than a Macintosh

Nice one Paul, I hoping to make the switch soon as well.

Thanks Colin :) It was actually your imac - I'm in love thread that finally tipped me over the edge (y) ;)

Lady Lens - software was a big sticking point for me but, as has already been said, you can transfer your license for your Adobe products onto the Mac platform. I don't suppose you can do that for MS Office but the Mac version of Office 2008 (Home and Student edition) is only £88 from Amazon.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I bought 4Gb of memory from Crucial for £73, as opposed to the £539 Apple wanted for the 4Gb upgrade :eek:

There's only one windows app that I think I'm going to struggle to find an equivilent for and that's Quicken. It's like Microsoft Money but better (imo). Although Quicken do a Mac version, they pulled out of the UK market a few years ago so there's no hope of getting it. I've been struggling to find a decent alternative. Can anyone recommend any personal finance software for Mac? :shrug:

I have both a mac and a pc, main reason I have the PC is I only use it for my photoshop needs so I can easily upgrade it to make it faster as and when I need. Everything else is done on the Mac though, its a dream to use. There is also one bit of software I use which is not available on a Mac so the PC is handy for that too.

Not sure about the OP saying their PC takes forever to boot and the Mac only takes 30 seconds...my PC is ready to go in about 30 seconds also.

I've been contemplating this for a while, and when my dell lappy finally dies it'll be replaced with a macbook pro after having a wee play with Ian C's :)

And when my desktop machine dies, that'll probably also get replaced with a mac too.

But what's the point of running Windows as your main OS (and you will be running it as your main OS if you stick windows in bootcamp, because you won't be bothered to keep restarting)?

The plus of having a Mac is the OS, if you use Windows on a Mac all you have is an expensive PC.

So in theory you can run your Windows software on a Mac, but if you do it was stupid for you to buy a Mac in the first place.

And to the OP, congrats, the new iMacs looks very nice, (especially compared to the old ones).:)

I made the switch last year, if you aren't 100% sure, buy an old Mac off eBay that is running OS-X and see how you get on with that. With in a few weeks I was using my £150 Mac laptop more than my considerably more expensive PC up to date PC, now I've bough a new Mac, ditched the PC and need to list my old Mac on eBay so that someone else can benefit from it!

When are you selling it?

Lets cut to the quick.
PC's have their roll, but when it comes to graphics there is none better than a Mac, that':clap:s why when you go into an advertising agency their creative department is full of Macs

Lets cut to the quick.
PC's have their roll, but when it comes to graphics there is none better than a Mac, that's why when you go into an advertising agency their creative department is full of Macs:clap:
OOPS put clapping man in wrong place.

Now, now chaps & esses ... :cautious: ... Grendel did ask for this NOT to become a Mac vs PC debate/argument ... as it would spoil spreading his excitement, and the sharing of, to the rest of us ... :shrug:

Great news for you Paul ... :clap: ... I am very pleased for you and hope it lives up to your expectations/excitement ... :D

Not sure if you saw the 'Air' thread ... :shrug: ... but I pre-ordered one a couple of weeks ago and, as it is due for 'despatch' some time this coming week, I am hoping to get it PDS ... ;)

And I ordered the Windows package too as there are certain programmes I must have for work ... :cautious: ... does that make me stupid too ... :naughty:

Amp34 said:
So in theory you can run your Windows software on a Mac, but if you do it was stupid for you to buy a Mac in the first place.

:p

And I ordered the Windows package too as there are certain programmes I must have for work ... :cautious: ... does that make me stupid too ... :naughty:

Hehe, no.:p

If you have no choice in using windows software and it is a minority of what you will be using I can see the point of getting a mac, but if most/all of the software you will be using has to be run on windows then yes, you may as well have saved a few hundred quid and bought a windows PC.:LOL:

you may as well have saved a few hundred quid and bought a windows PC.:LOL:

As it is an 'Air' and bought simply because I wanted the lightest, most portable and versatile notebook around I could probably have saved well over a grand actually ... :eek: ... 'cos I have a PC and a Laptop already ... :LOL:

The fact that it is also stunningly, mouth-wateringly and achingly beautiful as well ... :love: ... had absolutely NOTHING to do with my decision ... :naughty:

But I still can't wait ... ;)

Haha, well there is that as well. :p

Coincidently I bought a laptop just after the Air thread, the Dell XPS M1330, which will be arriving tomorow. :D

Back