Jacobs stock online auction

Anyone here bidding on the Spyder calibration pack? I'd buy a Spyder4 Elite! :D

The 70-200L 2.8IS mkii is already at £1150, + 20% VAT comes to close to £1400 !!!

For an ex-hire lens. I can get a new one from Panamoz for £1,400 with warranty.

This just isn't worth it for the most part.

Last edited:
The 70-200L 2.8IS mkii is already at £1150, + 20% VAT comes to close to £1400 !!!

£1330 delivered to your door if you pay by BT from panamoz

Barking, but pretty much exactly what I was expecting. Perhaps they'll be chasing up quite a few non payers.

Still, the most important thing is that the creditors just might get a bit more money than they were expecting. Let's hope it goes to some worthy people.

Last edited:
The Sigma 105mm Macros seem to be going for low to mid £300's, which isn't too bad.

But is that for the OS version? Which puts it around £483.00 which is okay, but looking now the only 105mm is a non-OS going for £275 (after everything £379.50) - they are £349.00 on CPB.

Indeed, and I had a good look at that lens, it wasn't exactly what you would call A1 mint condition, the lens mount had quite a few scratches and dinks on it :wacky:

no, I think the last Canon that went was about £420 inc fees/VAT

I was watching a 70-200 2.8 OS, currently at £550 (after bits £759.00 + driving costs) - CPB has them as £812.96 so not much difference or Panamoz can do them for £712.00 (£676 after 5% off).

Still its good for those who Jacobs owe money to I guess.

Is that a Canon at £550?

I've got a bid on a 70-200mm OS for Nikon, and I'm watching the other Nikon fits. I don't mind telling anyone on here what I'm bidding on, you all know you may as well go to Panamoz if you outbid me.

I did buy a 2nd hand 70-200 non OS on Monday, so I'm not fussed either way - if I win I've got to sell the non-OS, if I don't win, I already got one at a good price.

Yeah thats the Sigma for Canon fit - here - amazingly theres an ex-demo one for £500 (before extras), now this is just mad!

I think after this Sigma and the rest will be flooded with warranty requests.

I want to snoop but the site will not accept my password or retrieve it :bang:

Just got out bid on lot 1197, its at £550 which will work out at £759.

Its £830 on Amazon, which is madness. Auction fever or stupidity?

A little part of me is glad I got outbid, because I don't really need the OS version, and I can spend the difference on a teleconverter.

At least you knew when to stop - theres another 70-200 OS Nikon fit at £600.

I think a lot of people have not realised about the fees.

Just got out bid on lot 1197, its at £550 which will work out at £759.

Its £830 on Amazon, which is madness. Auction fever or stupidity?

A little part of me is glad I got outbid, because I don't really need the OS version, and I can spend the difference on a teleconverter.
I honestly think some people have completely forgotten about the additional fees and VAT
the VAT is the big killer
seems vat is on the whole lot where as in the camera industry I believe it is just on the profit
if this is correct then the vat man is in for a windfall

As well as the VAT and fees, add to the fact that it is pick up only on a week day !

I will have to drive a 200 mile round trip (£40 in petrol) and take a half day holiday to pick it up.

Much easier and actually cheaper in some cases buying new in the comfort of your own home.

seems vat is on the whole lot where as in the camera industry I believe it is just on the profit

Any business (apart from special cases) pays the full 20% vat on items bought, at the time of placing the order. They then charge the customer 20% VAT, and give to Customs and Excise the difference.

£1330 delivered to your door if you pay by BT from panamoz

Hmm, just over £100 cheaper than OneStop. Have good experience with them but not with Panamoz. Wouldn't have any qualms about using BT with OneStop but not sure about Panamoz - are they reputable?

Panamoz seems popular on here. I know I keep harping on about the 70-200 I bought second hand this week, but I was prepared to buy one from Panamoz as my first order had I not got it.

If VAT of 20% is going to be added on to an already hefty auction premium which also has a vat element then it make no sense to buy anything from this sale!

Hammer price of £100 is going to need another £18 for the auction premium with that VAT and another £20 for the VAT on the hammer price ie £138 which is basically 38% on top of the hammer price.

I had assumed the VAT was only added to the auction premium ie it was basically an additional 18% on the hammer price.

If it is 38% then I'm glad I've been out bid :)

Yes, it'll be 38%. There's no exemption for the VAT rules just because the seller is broke!

If VAT of 20% is going to be added on to an already hefty auction premium which also has a vat element then it make no sense to buy anything from this sale!

Hammer price of £100 is going to need another £18 for the auction premium with that VAT and another £20 for the VAT on the hammer price ie £138 which is basically 38% on top of the hammer price.

I had assumed the VAT was only added to the auction premium ie it was basically an additional 18% on the hammer price.

If it is 38% then I'm glad I've been out bid :)

There you go!! and how many others like you will have got it wrong, bidders really need to read the terms and conditions and not be clouded by the belief that they are about to get a bargain.

Any business (apart from special cases) pays the full 20% vat on items bought, at the time of placing the order. They then charge the customer 20% VAT, and give to Customs and Excise the difference.
does that apply to the camera market
it doesn't on the used car market

Yep, cameras, tv's, aquarium fish, adult clothes, pens, carpets, kitchens - all treated the same regarding VAT rate

The wording on the website is even less clear than the terms when you find those:

Purchase price: in relation to a Lot the aggregate of the price of the successful offer and VAT on the successful offer (if applicable), the Buyer's Premium and VAT on the Buyers Premium, any other sum due pursuant to Clause 6.3 and any Expenses

It's weasly anyway as it says 'if applicable'.

I think the working is slightly vague. Those terms also mention a buyer's premium of 25% +VAT and not the 15% mentioned all over the website.

I have had a hand in the family business. Profit margins were between 75% and 5% depending on the line. A business both pays VAT and collects VAT. (collecting VAT is the lowest paid job in the world). The sum of the purchases is subtracted from the sum of the collections, and the difference is paid to Customs and Excise.

No 'normal' retail business is exempt from this.

For anyone still interesting there is a 5th day added, no main details on what is in there, but PC's, Mac's and office furniture are listed, this appears to be a physical auction rather than an online one

It may be another online - the details don't come up until a few days before the auction.

I have had a hand in the family business. Profit margins were between 75% and 5% depending on the line. A business both pays VAT and collects VAT. (collecting VAT is the lowest paid job in the world). The sum of the purchases is subtracted from the sum of the collections, and the difference is paid to Customs and Excise.

No 'normal' retail business is exempt from this.

VAT Value Added Tax certainly good value for someone :LOL::LOL:

Ah, I didn't read the details, just assumed it followed the same format as the others.

Ah, I didn't read the details, just assumed it followed the same format as the others.

It will be interesting to see as I was chatting with one of the guys from the auctioneers and asked about items that don't make reserve and he said they will go into the next auction so will they go into this one I wonder :thinking:

Matt

Back