Daily Jake's 365 Challenge

A wonderful catch up (y) looks like you both had a great break (y) I love that night time one the foreground is very eerie giving and funny feeling to the scene almost something out of a horror film :eek:

Thanks Matt, It was nice to get out of the country for a little while, even with a 4 hour delay to get home! Another place off of the list. I had a feeling you'd like the night one, being a long exposure fanatic :LOL:

Day 8

Day 8 by JakeTurner1992, on Flickr

Finally caught up from my few days in Venice, after almost forgetting to take a photo today! I've chosen to take a photo of my girlfriend in her hand made carnival mask she got from Venice. The lighting and focussing aren't great, however I'm quite happy with the backdrop.
I probably should've tidied up the loose hair, but I want to carry on editing my Venice images :LOL:

From previous holidays I've given up, but now I shoot in RAW I feel like everything needs to be edited.

I have certain opinions about RAW v jpeg and compact v DSLR which are best left to me alone! However, RAW does make you assume that every shot you take needs to be edited. Sometimes, not so much!

I have certain opinions about RAW v jpeg and compact v DSLR which are best left to me alone! However, RAW does make you assume that every shot you take needs to be edited. Sometimes, not so much!

To be honest, so far, the majority haven't needed much, so I must be getting something right in camera.

The carnival mask is just great, sharp, colourful and, I have to say, very intense eyes in there!

Last edited:
have to agree with Sam :) Great sharp shot

Looks like you had a wonderful time, love the snow on the alps and my favourite would be of the artist at work.

Poppy's mask is beautiful, if she'd held a reflector on her lap, you may have been able to light her eye sockets up better.

Sonriendo said:
Looks like you had a wonderful time, love the snow on the alps and my favourite would be of the artist at work.

Poppy's mask is beautiful, if she'd held a reflector on her lap, you may have been able to light her eye sockets up better.

It was really good thanks :) I think the artist is the first candid photo I've taken.

I should really buy some reflectors. They're so cheap on amazon. I may buy some! Thanks for the tips!

some fab shots from Venice, I like the artist and his completed work tossed casually to one side :)

That carnival mask is really good

Loving your Venice series!

some fab shots from Venice, I like the artist and his completed work tossed casually to one side :)

That carnival mask is really good

Thank you both!

Tezz - I couldn't believe my luck when I found him sat there painting away, I knew I needed a photo of him at work for my set. I've finally finished editing the whole Venice series, so expect some work up in the next couple of days!

Day 9

9/365 by JakeTurner1992, on Flickr

Today is Archie, my girlfriends Koala I bought her back in June time. She rarely lets him leave her side, so I was lucky to grab this quick snap! I think he has quite an expressionative face considering he's a stuffed toy.

Archie is wonderful I agree with you he's got a great expression, that mask for yesterday is something really special (y) but I cannot help but think that the DoF is a little to shallow, the OOF parts are a little distracting for me

Day 10

10/365 by JakeTurner1992, on Flickr

Can't believe I'm still at it, so far so good! I was bought this mug for christmas, a novel gift as it is shaped like a L series lens. The contents inside of the mug is a nice Options coconut hot chocolate.

Archie is wonderful I agree with you he's got a great expression, that mask for yesterday is something really special (y) but I cannot help but think that the DoF is a little to shallow, the OOF parts are a little distracting for me

Thanks Matt, That's what I thought, I should have used a smaller aperture for the mask, I was rushing a bit and just snapped one so she could take the mask off. It may come out again another time though :)

Great shot, but again I think you could have closed the lens down a bit to get more of the mug and it's contents in focus :)

Great shot, but again I think you could have closed the lens down a bit to get more of the mug and it's contents in focus :)

Thanks Sarah, I took so many photo's of the mug, and getting one that wasn't blurry was proving difficult and my drink was getting cold, so I eventually chose this one from the set.

Thanks Sarah, I took so many photo's of the mug, and getting one that wasn't blurry was proving difficult and my drink was getting cold, so I eventually chose this one from the set.

Ah yes, cold hot chocolate is not so good - I've had to renuke my cofee twice this morning :)

I have a similar mug and I love hot chocolate! Keep up the good work!

Mmm yummy they do coconut hot choc? I have to go look!.... Love those mugs they're cool!....

Some great shots :)

Cg_Girl said:
Mmm yummy they do coconut hot choc? I have to go look!.... Love those mugs they're cool!....

Some great shots :)

Yes they do! It's one of those options sachets. I got a whole bunch in a mug for Christmas so working through them! It's surprisingly good at insulating the drink also.

Thanks very much

Cracking work so far keep it up :)

I want one of those mugs!....... 'Disappears to amazon' :)

I like this one. :D
I too got one of those foe Xmas, but as a Nikon shooter I won't be using it :)
I got one last Christmas - I'm sure there are Nikon versions somewhere.

Someone at camera club was doing a talk on lenses and lifting each one and talking about them. Lifted one of these (as if it was heavy) - said about how you had to be careful handling lenses and not drop them and then threw it to someone in the front row! lol!

I go the 70-200L version of this mug. Gonna have to do something with it. I think if you filled this up a bit more you could have passed the contents off as the glass!

Cracking work so far keep it up :)

I want one of those mugs!....... 'Disappears to amazon' :)

Many thanks :D

I too got one of those foe Xmas, but as a Nikon shooter I won't be using it :)

Go to Urban Outfitters if you have one near you, they're £20 in there, get it refunded on a gift card, I got 2 and did this with my spare :LOL:

I like this one. :D I got one last Christmas - I'm sure there are Nikon versions somewhere.

Someone at camera club was doing a talk on lenses and lifting each one and talking about them. Lifted one of these (as if it was heavy) - said about how you had to be careful handling lenses and not drop them and then threw it to someone in the front row! lol!

Someone on my Flickr commented saying her daughter does this too her to scare her :LOL:

I go the 70-200L version of this mug. Gonna have to do something with it. I think if you filled this up a bit more you could have passed the contents off as the glass!

My mum made me the drink, I also complained about the lack of contents (y)

I'm starting to wonder how many of those they sold this year and I know 5 different people that all got the same one including me :D but it must be the nerd in me with the fact that there are no EF-S L's and I'm sure on mine one of the marks it up as a ES-F :LOL: :LOL: I think hat it works well (y)

MWHCVT said:
I'm starting to wonder how many of those they sold this year and I know 5 different people that all got the same one including me :D but it must be the nerd in me with the fact that there are no EF-S L's and I'm sure on mine one of the marks it up as a ES-F :LOL: :LOL: I think hat it works well (y)

Especially as I got 2 of them! One for secret Santa and one from my girlfriend! I haven't actually checked if it says ES-F. I just glanced and assumed it said EF-S! It definitely has a nice red L on it though :LOL:

Back