Daily Jake's 365 Challenge

You should tie a shoe lace to it and set fire to the thing while flinging it around over your head, Jake! :D:LOL:

I quite like it - sometimes the mundane and well known is not so bad! :)

You should tie a shoe lace to it and set fire to the thing while flinging it around over your head, Jake! :D:LOL:

I quite like it - sometimes the mundane and well known is not so bad! :)

I couldn't do that :puke: What would I do when I'm at the height of boredom instead! :LOL:

Thanks, I have no inspiration at all today for some reason :thumbsdown:

Thanks, I have no inspiration at all today for some reason :thumbsdown:

I feel your pain and share it! :( However, you got one up and it wasn't a bad one! Keep on trucking, buddy! (y) (I am trying out cheesy US filmtastic speech from the 70's and 80's at the moment!! :D)

I feel your pain and share it! :( However, you got one up and it wasn't a bad one! Keep on trucking, buddy! (y) (I am trying out cheesy US filmtastic speech from the 70's and 80's at the moment!! :D)

I'm sure I'll be back on ball tomorrow! I don't follow I'm afraid - you could be anywhere from 3 to 22 years before I was born :LOL:

I'm sure I'll be back on ball tomorrow! I don't follow I'm afraid - you could be anywhere from 3 to 22 years before I was born :LOL:

OI!!! :bat:

Oh, god, though, on reflection, I could be anywhere on that timescale. even the upper end. :crying::crying::crying:

Sorry Jake but this comment made me :LOL: a lot

Just one of those days, drove around for an hour waiting for a shot to present itself, then got the message on the dash saying my headlight bulb blew, so I've been defeated today! Thanks Vince.

I think take from what you have learned today. I have spent many an hour driving aimlessly waiting for the shot - it never arrives. Everywhere you go there is a shot but you have to see it - it wont jump out at you. The bigger area you look in the harder it gets. Resorting to the controller is actually a good thing because you looked at the obvious and made it an image :clap:

Try using kids eyes or those of a new visitor - everything always seems so exciting rather than familiar. Walk down your road shoot loads of frames if nothing grabs you at first just keep shooting rubbish, suddenly you will get into something and you find your shot. You don't have to take one perfect shot each day :nono: the 365 is about exploring and seeing the everday in a new light. Remember what is mundane to us is freakin amazing to people living in Africa or Russia or somewhere that is not here :D

:LOL:

I couldn't do that :puke: What would I do when I'm at the height of boredom instead! :LOL:

You could always tie a dog lead round the xbox then set fire to it and fling that round your head... :eek:

To be honest... I feel the angle and the tight crop is extreme... Great idea with selective color...maybe you should have done the xbox with the controller..and sc the on button.... Low down shot depending on where the box is??

I think take from what you have learned today. I have spent many an hour driving aimlessly waiting for the shot - it never arrives. Everywhere you go there is a shot but you have to see it - it wont jump out at you. The bigger area you look in the harder it gets. Resorting to the controller is actually a good thing because you looked at the obvious and made it an image :clap:

Try using kids eyes or those of a new visitor - everything always seems so exciting rather than familiar. Walk down your road shoot loads of frames if nothing grabs you at first just keep shooting rubbish, suddenly you will get into something and you find your shot. You don't have to take one perfect shot each day :nono: the 365 is about exploring and seeing the everday in a new light. Remember what is mundane to us is freakin amazing to people living in Africa or Russia or somewhere that is not here :D

I had a couple of ideas in my head, but I just wasnt happy with the composition, and then the other one the lights were off, so I gave up in the end. I hoped I'd see something that would catch my eye - but that only happens when I don't have my camera :bonk::LOL:

I'm gonna give it a better go today, I have a couple of ideas so hopefully one will come out ok! Thanks for the advice! :D

You could always tie a dog lead round the xbox then set fire to it and fling that round your head... :eek:

To be honest... I feel the angle and the tight crop is extreme... Great idea with selective color...maybe you should have done the xbox with the controller..and sc the on button.... Low down shot depending on where the box is??

I wont be doing that either I'm afraid :LOL:

The size of my room, I couldnt get a decluttered shot with the xbox in, let alone the controller too! It isnt the best, but it got me through the day, and it was another technique with selective colouring :)

This yes!....(y)

I totally understand where you are coming from Jake.. i think we all do.. and we DO want each shot to be a wow shot... we also know theoretically thats not going to happen although that doesn't make us feel any better.... There has been no end of times i have gone out, there is plenty around me.. landscapes and stuff... but on these days it doesn't grab me... i want different everytime..

We have to chill and take stock sometimes... I've also realised what looks boring in camera, With a little edit can transform...so Ferj idea about randomly shooting crap can seriously work:D:D

Hope you have a better day today(y)

The size of my room, I couldnt get a decluttered shot with the xbox in, let alone the controller too! It isnt the best, but it got me through the day, and it was another technique with selective colouring :)

I can empathise... So many times I've stacked clutter up out of the way to get a shot....only to find things lurking...

This yes!....(y)

I totally understand where you are coming from Jake.. i think we all do.. and we DO want each shot to be a wow shot... we also know theoretically thats not going to happen although that doesn't make us feel any better.... There has been no end of times i have gone out, there is plenty around me.. landscapes and stuff... but on these days it doesn't grab me... i want different everytime..

We have to chill and take stock sometimes... I've also realised what looks boring in camera, With a little edit can transform...so Ferj idea about randomly shooting crap can seriously work:D:D

Hope you have a better day today(y)

I was hoping to head out tonight but the rain has forced me to stay in, so I'm doing another focus stack on what I hope is something a bit different :) Thanks for the advice also T :)

I can empathise... So many times I've stacked clutter up out of the way to get a shot....only to find things lurking...

If only we all lived in mansions :LOL:

great shot Jake :) he definitely looks like he has had a few too many there :LOL:

but 3 and the size of him is like 23 for us :eek: he did well with just 3 :LOL:

:LOL:

Tut tut, what a bad influence you are Jake :)

would have never thought to focus stack an image like this, was saving it for macrod insects :)

Great concept and composition is perfect

I'm surprised you let the monkey share the good stuff, Jake! Next time limit him to Heinekin! :LOL::LOL:

Tut tut, what a bad influence you are Jake :)

would have never thought to focus stack an image like this, was saving it for macrod insects :)

Great concept and composition is perfect

I try not to be :LOL:
I don't have any macro lenses or anything, but I think it works to make the whole of this image really sharp with a nice shallow DoF.
Thanks Tezz :)

Hehe I want to be passed out on the floor now too :(

Lack of inspiration is a bugger, sometimes, wherever you are and whatever is in front of you, you just don't see it.

Hopefully after more than 3 Stellas? :LOL:
Yeah tell me about it, I'm glad I got a more thought about shot yesterday!

I'm surprised you let the monkey share the good stuff, Jake! Next time limit him to Heinekin! :LOL::LOL:

I hate Stella! I think it tastes 'orrible! :LOL:

ooh naughty monkey! I too was surprised you focus stacked the image would have thought the same effect could be generated with focusing/aperture but it is always good to get techniques down and it seems to work here!

Last edited:
ooh naughty monkey! I too was surprised you focus stacked the image would have thought the same effect could be generated with focusing/aperture but it is always good to get techniques down and it seems to work here!

I find that focus stacking always ends up much sharper and gives a nice DoF too :)

I was actually wondering how you'd managed to get such a sharp image with what seemed like natural light. Then I read what you did. Looks like you've perfected that technique then...

Care to share the details?

Last edited:
I was actually wondering how you'd managed to get such a sharp image with what seemed like natural light. Then I read what you did. Looks like you've perfected that technique then...

Care to share the details?

Thanks :) It's not actually that hard! I love how sharp the images end up :clap:

Guide

How to do focus stacking in Photoshop CS6 Extended, with Canon raw pictures:

Open all pictures. I assume they will be opened in Camera Raw.

In Camera Raw, select one of the pictures that is in the middle of the stack, and is the best to look at when adjusting the pictures.

Click on the button "Select All". You can now adjust the setting for all the pictures at once, while looking at the best picture.

Adjust the settings of all the pictures to your liking.

Click on "Open Images" when ready to go on to Photoshop.

File / Automate / Photomerge...
Layout = Auto
Click on button Add Open Files
Uncheck checkbox Blend Images Together
Click OK

Select all the layers. The top layer is selected, so you only have to shift-click on the bottom layer to do this.

Edit / Auto-Blend Layers...
Select Stack Images if it isn't selected.
Check Seamless Tones and Colors if it isn't checked.
Click OK.

Right-click on one of the selected layers, and Flatten Image.

That's a good tutorial Jake, can I ask how do you take the shots to merge and how many on average? Do you take lots at different apertures or focus points? How does that part work?

That's a good tutorial Jake, can I ask hoe do you take the shots to merge? Do you take lots at different apertures or focus points? How does that part work?

I use a tripod and a remote shutter. I use f1.8 and manual focus systematically around the subject field. There may be other ways but that works for me. Then I take it to photoshop for the stacking. :)

Back