Daily Jake's 365 Challenge

The photo of Poppy is a good one which will give you memories of the time she surprised you. To me, the 365 (unless you have a very specific reason otherwise) should not only be a means to improve, try new things, take a different view, but also a great way to record those things that mean something. And if that means I have a great day and a shot that could have/should have been technically 'better', so be it! :) That said, 'technically' you have done a good job of getting her AND the tree on the vertical rule of thirds! ;):LOL:

Love today's, particularly those star bursts you have going on there. I also loke the lighter sky and the duller foreground which still retains enough that I can see it well.

Thanks Sam :) My 365 is to improve, but I also want to try new things, like the focus stacking, in car trails etc. Portraiture is not something I have done much of, and it was a nice memory of the day. I try not do things to similar everyday. So a photo of her in the snow was a change to another snowy landscape :)

I think the snow being on the ground helps to brighten up the foreground, and the fact it wasn't completely pitch black out helped too. My god did my feet get cold stood in the field though!

Nice light trails & taken from a snowy field just gives it that different edge.

Thanks Sarah :) It's nice to have a slight change from the norm.

really nice shot

Thanks Hayley :)

Great shot Jake and the light trails add to it :D

carolthomasburns said:
Great shot Jake and the light trails add to it :D

Thanks carol. I started the night focussing purely on the lights of Swindon zoomed in, but realised a better shot was available with the occasional passing car

Excellent Day 20 image, must try a few long exposures myself. I am liking these 365s, they give me some inspiration

Tezz450D said:
Excellent Day 20 image, must try a few long exposures myself. I am liking these 365s, they give me some inspiration

Thanks Tezz. They're good aren't they? :) I love long exposures. Got to make the most of the early nights.

Thanks Matt :) What rubber straps are these? I added that person you sent me yesterday on Facebook, just waiting for them to accept so I can have a look.

Day 20 works really well, but then you know I'd love a photo like that (y) and as to what I mean, I'm on about things like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002QRYGMI/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550932429&ref=asc_df_B002QRYGMI thought you'll want resonable long ones

You should have fun when you get accepted, let me know when you do ;)

Day 20 works really well, but then you know I'd love a photo like that (y) and as to what I mean, I'm on about things like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002QRYGMI/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550932429&ref=asc_df_B002QRYGMI thought you'll want resonable long ones

You should have fun when you get accepted, let me know when you do ;)

I did have an inkling you'd like this sort of thing Matt! Ah I get what you mean now! I'll have a look at getting some of them! Still no acceptance yet :shrug:

Nice shot of Swindon with a nice light trail to add Jake !

Thanks Vince! :)

That's very pretty, but it does look a bit cold to be out without winter wear.

Thats lovely Jake ..... like the light reflection on the water is a different colour from the others :)

Good shot with the light trails, loving the colours.

Thanks Paul :Thumbs:

That's very pretty, but it does look a bit cold to be out without winter wear.

I was freezing stood there! I only took 6 shots and went back to the car. I was parked on double yellows and didn't want my second parking ticket of the day :bang:

Thats lovely Jake ..... like the light reflection on the water is a different colour from the others :)

Thank Carol (y) Glad you like it!

Very nice! I really must get down the river and get some of those milky water shots!

Thanks again Paul :D

LOL, we all have our unprepared moments :) Great night shot and I like the fact that although the water is milky, it's got movement and shape to it.

After much panicking (even though it only cost £3) I've found my remote trigger, in my coat pocket of all places! That'll teach me! :LOL:
Thanks Sarah :) I tried to keep the fact it was flowing so quickly!

Love it, can feel the cold as I walk up the street. I didn't realise until the other day how quickly your hands get cold using the camera!

Thank you (y) They sure do, especially with a metal tripod freezing your hands! Mittens are the best bet! Can keep most of your hands warm still :LOL:

Ahhhh! So when you mentioned the "No trees out of heads" always being a bonus that's what you meant!! Hah! I still like it, nice shot :) That tree is a nuisance though! :LOL:

Love that last shot too, the river is lovely. I like the balance between it turning smokey and still some waves

Ahhhh! So when you mentioned the "No trees out of heads" always being a bonus that's what you meant!! Hah! I still like it, nice shot :) That tree is a nuisance though! :LOL:

Love that last shot too, the river is lovely. I like the balance between it turning smokey and still some waves

That's what I meant! I couldn't remember if you'd seen the thread or not, and obviously the latter! :LOL: Thanks :)

Thank you very much! I'm struggling today, the snow is currently coming down the size of 2p coins and very rapidly, so I don't want to head out.

That's what I meant! I couldn't remember if you'd seen the thread or not, and obviously the latter! :LOL: Thanks :)

Thank you very much! I'm struggling today, the snow is currently coming down the size of 2p coins and very rapidly, so I don't want to head out.

I'm stealing a shot from Sunday to fill my todays shot. I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather post 365 shots I'm mildly happy with rather than a lot of fluff I'm moderately embarrassed about!

I'm stealing a shot from Sunday to fill my todays shot. I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather post 365 shots I'm mildly happy with rather than a lot of fluff I'm moderately embarrassed about!

That's a good idea! I'm going to try and stick with the shot taken today, I'm actually heading out to do some wire wool spinning for the first time tonight, so hopefully I'll pull it off!

I love yesterday's, Jake - really atmospheric and even looking at it I can tell you you MUST WRAP UP WARM in this weather!

Signed,

Mum
:LOL:

Brilliant shot Jake :)

I love yesterday's, Jake - really atmospheric and even looking at it I can tell you you MUST WRAP UP WARM in this weather!

Signed,

Mum
:LOL:

:LOL: thanks mum! Glad you like it!

Enjoy the spinning, it's great fun, you should get some good results if you've got snow on the ground.

Thanks Sarah, snowing too heavy too be in the open, so went for a tunnel.

Brilliant shot Jake :)

Thanks Carol, and for the comment on Facebook (y)

MWHCVT said:
I love the motion in that water on the long exposure (y) and the wire wool works really well (y) what's the access like to that location where you did that wire wool :thinking:

Thanks Matt! :D. I think the wire wool came out quite well. The access is as simple as a track to a farm, just drive right up to it. Minutes from the motorway but can't be seen from anywhere. It is however just a train bridge, I was stood at the very edge just outside of it, so it's not as long as it looks. Worked well for me though! Are you planning a trip to the West Country? I had problems keeping the wool ignited for longer than a few seconds, any tips?

Thanks Matt! :D. I think the wire wool came out quite well. The access is as simple as a track to a farm, just drive right up to it. Minutes from the motorway but can't be seen from anywhere. It is however just a train bridge, I was stood at the very edge just outside of it, so it's not as long as it looks. Worked well for me though! Are you planning a trip to the West Country? I had problems keeping the wool ignited for longer than a few seconds, any tips?

I could certainly be tempted to have a little trip down (y) just need a reasonably accessible location as a) I don't do bad access and b) we bring a lot of toys to the party :D what are you using for spinning? and what grade of wool?

Day 21 is stunning!!.. and for a first attempt at wire wool wow... well done(y)

MWHCVT said:
I could certainly be tempted to have a little trip down (y) just need a reasonably accessible location as a) I don't do bad access and b) we bring a lot of toys to the party :D what are you using for spinning? and what grade of wool?

It's possibly the most easily accessed place ever. It is a 3 meter walk from where I parked to the entrance to the bridge! Could definitely be worth a visit. If you look on my Flickr its geotagged (y) we used a whisk and fine wool lit with a 9v battery.

It's possibly the most easily accessed place ever. It is a 3 meter walk from where I parked to the entrance to the bridge! Could definitely be worth a visit. If you look on my Flickr its geotagged (y) we used a whisk and fine wool lit with a 9v battery.

I've never used a whisk and that sounds like my kind of location (y) loose the battery, and just use a lighter (y) it will burn nicely and if need be we'll use a small amount of accelerant (y) usually lighter fluid though anything that lights easy will do the trick, just not petrol unless your a real nutter ;)

Back