Jake's New York Thread - Pic Heavy

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
I've just come back from a wonderful week in New York, and wanted to share some of my photos with you all.
I thought a single thread that I can keep adding to would be the best way, and I'll try and give a brief summary to each shot.
There's absolutely loads of photos for me to sort through, so bare with me.
Some of these are in my 365 thread, so apologies if you've seen them.

The full set on flickr can be found here.
I'd recommend heading over there to see some of them on black.

I'll start with a marmite shot, and one which I think has to be done!

105/365 by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

This is Bow Bridge, in Central Park. It has been featured in many films, and has lots of marriage proposals on it.

106/365 by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

This is one of my favourites so far, and one that I wanted to make a bit different to all the wide angle shots trying to get the whole Terminal into the shot, by focussing on the ticket booth.

107/365 by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

After eating at TGI Fridays, I walked outside and saw the low cloud around the top of the Empire State Building. I had no tripod so this one is handheld. I think the street leading in really shows the true New York.

108/365 by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

A soft white vignette was used here to give the memorial for John Lennon a smoother appearance at the edges.

Imagine Memorial by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

This was taken looking up from the Brooklyn Bridge, I really liked how the massive amount of wires led to and from the brickwork, and how symmetrical it is.

Brooklyn Bridge by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

This scene was made famous by the film "Once Upon a Time in America" and has been photographed many times (by those who can find it). After a little bit of searching I found the street and composed the image. I felt the B&W was more powerful. Another symmetrical shot.

The Empire State Building through the Manhattan Bridge by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

I've always been nervous when it comes to candid shooting, but being in NY it seemed like a great place for it. Below are a few examples.

109/365 by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

112/365 by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Harp Player by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Studying at Times Square - B&W by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Sleeping Man by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

A trip into a Brooklyn with the tripod to take a few photos of the skyline lighting up, and I made this panorama.

110/365 by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

And another panorama from the Top of the Rock!

111/365 by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

The view Downtown from the Empire State Building

Downtown NYC - B&W by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

A night in Times Square, magically lit up as always!

Times Square by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

And what trip would be complete without a trip to Central Park Zoo, and the beautiful Polar Bear!

Polar Bear at Central Park Zoo by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

A great set of shots of NYC. The Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges shots are brilliant.

I can't help but think that the polar bear shot would be better with the rock faces vertical (even if that isn't how they were in real life).

I went about 3 and a half years ago and was into photography at that point, I wish I could go back with my DSLR but with a 1 year old baby it probably wont be any time soon.

Awesome set Jake. Love the Terminal shot with the movement, gives a feeling of the hustle and bustle of New York..
Really need a week out there myself:)

Thaks for sharing, I dare say that a week is not enough?

We got all the main bits done, and managed it quite well, however my feet are dead! I think in 10 days you could manage it all comfortably! It all depends what you're there for, I have no interest in art museums, but to someone who did, that could take up a lot of time. The Museum of Natural history could easily take a day, if you look at every single thing, or picking and choosing like we did took 3 hours. Making a plan of action, prior to going, including addresses of places and what to do on what day, is definitely worth it.

A great set of shots of NYC. The Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges shots are brilliant.

I can't help but think that the polar bear shot would be better with the rock faces vertical (even if that isn't how they were in real life).

I went about 3 and a half years ago and was into photography at that point, I wish I could go back with my DSLR but with a 1 year old baby it probably wont be any time soon.

Many thanks! I see what you mean about the rock faces and it didn't even occur to me to try it, I'll give it a go!

Ah yes, having a baby makes things much more difficult, it's definitely more of a place for older children or just as a couple! I'm hoping to revisit one year for a long weekend before Christmas.

Awesome set Jake. Love the Terminal shot with the movement, gives a feeling of the hustle and bustle of New York..
Really need a week out there myself:)

Many thanks! The Terminal shot has got explored on flickr, as has the downtown manhattan panorama. It's definitely worth taking a week out there, and I would highly recommend The New Yorker Hotel.

A couple more photos here,

This one is another a little later at night from Brooklyn of the Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan and the Empire State Building. If anyone has any fears about heading into Brooklyn in the evening/night, don't, there was probably 20-30 other photographers there at the same time as me.

Brooklyn Bridge at Night by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

This one is shot on The Mall in Central Park. I liked how the lady with the baby was sat listening as the man played his saxophone. I tried this in B&W but I feel the colour version works better.

Sax Player by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

A couple more Candid shots here.

I know it's central, but I found this amusing. The big police officer squeezing into this little vehicle must have looked funny! Doesn't make the NYPD look very scary!

NYPD by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

You get all sorts of characters in New York, this guy was stood next to the Yankee shop in Times Square. Whether he really needed money for that we'll never know.

Need Money for ... by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

A bland day looking across to Brooklyn from Lower Manhattan. It's amazing how much difference the sun makes!

Brooklyn Bridge on a Dull Day by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

These next 3 photos are all 9/11 related.

Some names at the 9/11 memorial. This is the South Tower memorial and the names are of those who were lost in this tower. Behind you will see the Survivor Tree, a fascinating tree, that survived the attacks, though badly burnt, with all hope of survival written off, it defied odds and grew again. It now has pride of place at the memorial site.

9/11 Memorial by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Some flowers placed either side of one of the names at the North Tower of the 9/11 memorial site.

9/11 Memorial by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

This small memorial is next to the big brass plaque in honour of the lost firefighters from the September 11th attacks. The plaque and memorial is on the side of FDNY Ten House on Liberty Street, right next to the 9/11 memorial.

Teddy Memorial outside the FDNY Ten House by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Your pictures are amazing. Very pleasing to view.
I look forward to the day I can go there and as it will be a good few years I'll hopefully be able to get a couple as good as your pictures. (y)

Oh, and the smuf picture is possibly the best, it's so random!!!!!!

Very pleasing set, and enjoyed reading/viewing :)

I feel the only weakness is the B&W conversion, they just seem slightly grey/flat.

Not that I could convert any better!

Overall though I thoroughly enjoyed and will now view your flickr,.

Your pictures are amazing. Very pleasing to view.
I look forward to the day I can go there and as it will be a good few years I'll hopefully be able to get a couple as good as your pictures. (y)

Oh, and the smuf picture is possibly the best, it's so random!!!!!!

Thanks very much Steve! It really is a fantastic place to visit, and in ways, just like the movies! I did find it a hard place to take photo's though, being so busy, and the huge shadows cast by skyscrapers make the difference between dark and light very dramatic, it's either over exposing the light or underexposing the shadows all the time! My camera doesn't have great dynamic range to handle it.

It is a very random city! Made me chucke though!

Very pleasing set, and enjoyed reading/viewing :)

I feel the only weakness is the B&W conversion, they just seem slightly grey/flat.

Not that I could convert any better!

Overall though I thoroughly enjoyed and will now view your flickr,.

Thanks Joe :) I agree with you, the conversions are not the greatest, but sadly my trial for silver efex has run out, and I don't have the money to buy the full program, so they're all just converted in adobe camera raw.

I'm glad you enjoyed looking through the photos, I will still be posting more, as and when I have time to edit them, so do drop in again.

I think these are fantastic

Me and my wife and 2 little girls went last year for 6 days loved it there but was a bit restricted with the little one's

I think it's easy to miss the small details when there but you've done a brilliant job of capturing the city
Nice one I look forward to seeing more

Lovely set of images. Wish I had your eye for photo taking! Much to learn I have

Nice one. Off there in 2 weeks for a week!

I think these are fantastic

Me and my wife and 2 little girls went last year for 6 days loved it there but was a bit restricted with the little one's

I think it's easy to miss the small details when there but you've done a brilliant job of capturing the city
Nice one I look forward to seeing more

Thank you! :) I remember your thread!

I can imagine with kids in tow it would be hard work! I know my feet were hurting enough, without having to worry about others.

I tried to get some photos of the smaller things, overlooked by your average tourist with a p&s. I did a lot of research before I went, which helped!

Great set of pictures Jake, makes me want to add NYC to the 'to do' list!

Thanks Matty! It's definitely a place I would recommend!

Lovely set of images. Wish I had your eye for photo taking! Much to learn I have

Thank you very much :) Means a lot!

Nice one. Off there in 2 weeks for a week!

Thank you :) I hope you have a wonderful time, and you get weather like we had! (y)

Awesome set!! My fave is the guy asking for money to buy weed!!

What a treat, well done mate.

Theres something about 2, which I really really like, its the contrast of the park and the city. really lovely.

Thanks Steve! :)

I love Central Park, it seems unreal when you're in there, just away from the hustle and bustle of the streets.

Awesome set!! My fave is the guy asking for money to buy weed!!

Thanks Andy :)

Still plenty more to come, I just struggle to find the time to edit them and put them on flickr!

Another update for you all.
Chinatown was one of my favourite places in NY, and one that I could have spent all day in quite easily! The sounds and sights were just so vastly different to what I'm used too. Fascinating.

These first couple are market stalls on the sidewalk.

Vegetable Seller by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Potato Seller by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Fruit Seller by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

This one, is one that is always on films, vans covered in graffiti in Chinatown

Vans in Chinatown by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

These 2 are in Columbus Park, in the heart of Chinatown. The park was a constant bustle, with musicians, Chinese checkers and Tai Chi.

Smoking in Chinatown by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Musicians in Chinatown by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Selective colour, I know it's marmite, but I like it with the NY Yellow Cabs!

Downtown Manhattan by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

The two above are both taken on Brooklyn Bridge, as is this one below. The craze of putting a padlock with a couples names on it, onto a bridge has spread over the pond, since starting in Paris.

Locks on Brooklyn Bridge by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

A couple of long exposures taken in Brooklyn. The first is of Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, Empire State Building and the movement of the photographers below. The second is of Brooklyn, rather than Downtown Manhattan, where every other camera was facing!

Under Brooklyn Bridge by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Brooklyn by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

And finally, a stencil spray up on the edge of a building that caught my eye!

Right to Bear Arms by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Last few for now, and just a couple of walk around B&W shots, that I feel are quite traditional of New York, after watching many films, and seeing areas away from the "tourist".

Obey Poster by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Fire Escapes by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

An amusing sign, in Brooklyn, if only more took notice of this, or they had it in the busier areas of Manhattan!

Sensible Sign by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

The view back of Downtown Manhattan, from the Staten Island ferry!

Having visited NY twice, these photos bring back so many good memories....Also I love the 'marmite' yellow cab photos :)

You won't get any flaming from me re selective colour, for the taxis and smurf shot, it works. The bridge taxi shots work better and the full DoF to get taxi and horizon in focus was a good decision

I'm not so sold on the long exposures with the people in, as a) I think if the shot was wider, it would work and b) theres not quiote enough ghosting for it to be pulled off.

The Brooklyn shot is the best one in that post and the bear arms one is a good fun pic.

You won't get any flaming from me re selective colour, for the taxis and smurf shot, it works. The bridge taxi shots work better and the full DoF to get taxi and horizon in focus was a good decision

I'm not so sold on the long exposures with the people in, as a) I think if the shot was wider, it would work and b) theres not quiote enough ghosting for it to be pulled off.

The Brooklyn shot is the best one in that post and the bear arms one is a good fun pic.

Thanks Steve. I was at 18mm, couldn't get any wider on the people shot! But I know what you mean ref the people!

I do like the Brooklyn one, it's not a shot many people turn around and grab.

I love these, I can't wait to go myself in Nov (even if it will be extremely cold then).

Thanks Mark! We were lucky with the weather, it didn't dip below 20c the whole week. I have so many more photo's to process, I just never seem to have time, and I wish I had my Mark III when I was there! I hope you have a fantastic time out there! It's the sort of place that is alive whatever the weather! Just pack a brolley and you'll be fine! I'm hoping to revisit for Christmas next year, just for a long weekend.

Finally getting around to editing some more photos, so here are a few more for you all to have a look at :)

Standing right accross the street from the entrace to the Empire State Building. This is shot at 18mm on a crop sensor, so it shows you don't need a ultra wide angle for New York.

Empire State Building by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

The Mall, the second most famous part of Central Park, after Bow Bridge. The Mall is featured in many films, and is always bustling with people selling photos, artwork etc.

The Mall by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

The Mall by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

These are the first twin towers to be built in New York and they stand just along the road from the site where John Lennon was killed. Yoko Ono now owns the majority of the building to the left of the frame, and when she is home, the flag is up, similar to when the Queen is home at one of her Castles/Palaces in the UK.

Central Park by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Our first day in the big apple, and a shot of Times Square. There was an increased police presence that day, note the helicopter, little did we know that the Boston Marathon had been struck by terrorism.

Times Square by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

This skyscraper was next to central park, at the south west corner. I don't know what it is, but I liked the globe outside. When stood underneath and looking up this building seems to go on forever. Makes the legs wobble!

Skyscraper by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Toys 'R' Us in Times Square is INSANE! Can only be compared to Hamleys of London, yet still not quite as good as Hamleys. The Hulk features, made of Lego, as do many other buildings and characters.

The Hulk by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

A couple more candids below..

Free Hugs by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Passing Love by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

I recommend taking in a show while you're in New York. Nothing compares to being on Broadway. I had never watched a show before, and never saw the appeal, but I loved it. We watched Annie. We really wanted to see Wicked, but at over $300 for the two of us, the budget wouldn't stretch.

Wicked by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

I'll have some more to add tonight or tomorrow, once I've finished editing.

Some great shots here. Reminds me of my trip a few years ago. I'll echo that you must see a show. We saw Spiderman and it was the one of the best things I've ever been to (book online before you go - there are deals to be had!)

Fantastic set of pictures - a real mix that shows New York at its best. We went in Sept 2010 and it is the most amazing and magical place I have ever been.

Didn't enjoy the flights though :(

Some great shots here. Reminds me of my trip a few years ago. I'll echo that you must see a show. We saw Spiderman and it was the one of the best things I've ever been to (book online before you go - there are deals to be had!)

Thank you very much! We didn't book in advance, but I can imagine that it's definitely worth it!

Fantastic set of pictures - a real mix that shows New York at its best. We went in Sept 2010 and it is the most amazing and magical place I have ever been.

Didn't enjoy the flights though :(

Thank you! I can't wait to go back, it's wonderful there.
The flights are a bit long!

A few more for you to sink your teeth into.

Another couple of views of the Empire State Building

Empire State Building by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

New York City by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Empire State by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

The Flatiron building.

Flatiron Building by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Brooklyn Bridge in the afternoon towards Manhattan

Walking on Brooklyn Bridge by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

The top of the rock, 3 viewpoints.

3 Viewers 1 View by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Another candid from Chinatown.

Chinese Chequers by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

A black and white of the skyline from Brooklyn at dusk.

Manhattan Skyline by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

WTC1 or the Freedom Tower as it is known.

Freedom Tower by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

A couple from ground zero

Memorial Plaque by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Ground Zero by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

And as this has been a whole B&W set how about some bright tulips outside the Rockefeller Centre.

Tulips by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Every so often I get a bit tired of photography...... Mainly because I'm not good enough in my own opinion, and only shoot regular, 'boring' shots.

Just going over this topic and admiring your photographs remind me why I love photography so much, and makes me want to practice practice practice!

Lovely photos mate, lovely composition, but agree with what one of the other posters has said about your night time long exposure - if the ghosting present in your shot of the ticket booth was present in your night time shot it would work a lot better, but other than that, fantastic shots

Every so often I get a bit tired of photography...... Mainly because I'm not good enough in my own opinion, and only shoot regular, 'boring' shots.

Just going over this topic and admiring your photographs remind me why I love photography so much, and makes me want to practice practice practice!

Lovely photos mate, lovely composition, but agree with what one of the other posters has said about your night time long exposure - if the ghosting present in your shot of the ticket booth was present in your night time shot it would work a lot better, but other than that, fantastic shots

Thank you for commenting.
I think most people feel they are not good at photography, I know I do. Have you got flickr, I'd like to see some of your work.
In a place like NY it's not hard to find something to take a photo of, but finding something different that isn't done to death is the hard part in my opinion, and composing to get the tallest buildings in shot without using a wide angle lens is again tricky at times.
I agree regarding the ghosting, I wish there was more also.
Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Back