Jessops going under (again)

Meanwhile Wex Birmingham have moved (I believe today was the go day) into a bigger space next door to the previous location, and it looks very decent!

Simon, the point I was trying to make was if a consumer is not happy with the purchase (for whatever reason) then he has the right to return it. In my case I thought that the images were soft (especially the Tamron), I don't think for one minute that anyone on here would accept an unsubstantial product, whether it was purchased on line or in the shop.

If you are paying a large amount of money for a piece of hardware then you want that item to work satisfactorily, if it doesn't then you should be entitled to a refund or exchange whether it be a lens, washing machine, or even a car.

That is only correct for online purchases, your rights to return items in store are very clear if the item is faulty, if you are not happy for another reason then these change depending on the retailers terms.

Last edited:
I have bought a few lenses, bags and other bits and pieces from Jessops over the years. But I got my last DSLR and other bits and bobs from John Lewis, as they gave two years guarantee on their items.

Jessops in Glasgow let me try a 100-400 on my Sony A7ii to see what focus was like.
No hassle or pressure.
I've played with camera bodies and lenses at Jessops Oxford Street, received intelligent answers to my questions from manufacturers reps stationed at the shop. You get bad days when there's a canon man but no nikon man and vice versa, but they're still not stupid. OK, there are some spotty kids around too. My pet hate is the security wires attached, so I end up buying from a small indi like CameraWorld across the road. :)

Jessops in Lord street became a Wilkinson Camera shop, but then Wilkinson moved further across the City. Not sure what the original Jessops shop is now, might now be a charity shop. :thinking:

I also had a less than satisfactory experience the one and only time I went into their London shop, and I won't be returning there, even if I had no other option.
There was a particular lens I was interested in, which they had in stock (and I was seriously looking to buy - it was a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 non IS several years ago). The guy in the shop basically said that I could not try it unless I bought it. He also didn't have a pleasant manner about him. Needless to say, I went elsewhere.

Years later, I'm now a big fan of HDEW and don't mind the grey market tag, as I've bought quite a few things from them without issue. It's hard to argue if looking at (for example) a new Canon 70-200 f2.8 mark3 lens for £1999 from Park or Wex, as opposed to £650 cheaper from HDEW.

How do you try the lens before you buy it when shopping on the internet then? I can't see any logic in this outlook.

The logic (and timeline) in this goes something like:

It was early 2008 when I was looking to buy the 120-300 f2.8 and as it was (to me) a very expensive lens at around £1500, I was interested in trying it before buying, hence I went into London. I was aware that the lens was available via the internet, but was willing to pay additional money for what I perceived at the time would be a better buying experience from a physical shop where I could go to if there were any issues.

To put this into some perspective, for years previously, I was always a supporter of my local camera shop (in Harrow) and had bought 2 x Minolta 9xi film SLRs, the first Minolta digital SLR (5D) various lenses, top of the range Minolta flash system, a couple of compact cameras, and used them for all my film and developing/printing needs. They were great people running the shop including George, the semi retired owner. Unfortunately, due to the likes (funnily enough) of Jessops undercutting prices, they struggled and eventually closed down.

I then used SRS in Watford for some time and traded in all the Minolta stuff for a change to Canon, buying a 40D.

Both the Harrow shop and SRS were more than happy for me to try stuff out before buying, so I was used to the idea that one should be able to try out a camera or lens at a camera shop.

When looking for the 120-300 I was still a fan of the physical shop, but as SRS didn't stock it this prompted the unfortunate visit to Park.

Having no other shops with that lens in stock at the time, I was effectively left with the less favourable option of buying online. I did a bit of research and decided that if I was going to buy online, I might as well take the potential saving, and bought the lens for £1050 from DigitalRev. As it turns out, the lens was perfect and I saved £450.

Since then, I've bought a few things through a recommended supplier in Scotland with no issues, and a couple of things (including a mirrorless EOS-M mark 1) via Amazon. All without any issues, which have given me a better sense of security buying online, so much so that actually trying the item before buying is no longer a necessity for me, especially with the added protection of the distance selling regulations meaning I can return the item if not satisfied.

When looking for a good place to get a Canon 5D mark3, in early 2016, HDEW seemed a good option with the unique combination of grey import prices, but an actual presence in south London should I ever need to see someone physically. I've since bought the 5D mark3, a 580EXII flashgun, and a 100mm f2.8 L macro lens from HDEW. All without any issue at great prices. My next purchase if they sell it will be from HDEW.

So, in answer to your first point:
How do you try the lens before you buy it when shopping on the internet then?
The short answer is that you can't.

Your second point:
I can't see any logic in this outlook.
I hope the above explains my logic in changing from using physical shops to purchasing online.

Sadly, I saw today that the Cambridge branch of Jessops has closed. (Meanwhile, I still get great service out of Camera Jungle, buying and selling.)

Jessops in Glasgow let me try a 100-400 on my Sony A7ii to see what focus was like.
No hassle or pressure.

They're pretty decent in there - and they let me try an A7R thingee and lens etc. Guy was bob on but the camera wasn't for me. I bought a rucksack in there and the dude was very helpful to recommend one for my gear. I like 'em

Sadly, I saw today that the Cambridge branch of Jessops has closed. (Meanwhile, I still get great service out of Camera Jungle, buying and selling.)

Not surprised, hardly ever had any stock in there, still a shame when jobs are lost
At one time they had two branches in Cambridge, one in Green St and the other around the corner in Bridge St

Wilkinsons moves to bottom of Bold Street and Jessops moves back in to the Lord Street store!!

Oh I see, last time I was in town, I did not walk the whole length of Lord street. I took my mate to Lord street a few years back, this was to buy the Fuji X20. So not sure if it was then a Jessops or Wilkinson shop. I do remember the buying experience was a bit annoying for my friend, as they kept trying to sell him extras. Was asked "do you need a bag?", "do you need a memory card?" would you like to take out insurance for your new camera?". The shop did feel a little clique. May have been a Wilkinson, now I think about it.

I used Jessops in Exeter to buy a Hahnel flash - It broke but they replaced straight away with no quibbles. very happy with that. It would be a shame if they went.

Back