Jessops on the verge of administration

I said similar earlier in the thread, and on further consideration see the likes of Amazon probably doing something like this in the future, as the tax regime starts to squeeze them and in a bid to drop prices and push profits move their warehouses to somewhere like Lichtenstein, with their volume they can easily still have a paid for next day service and free 3-5 day service, and only pay vat at 8.5% and 12.5% Corparation tax.

The way out of the High Street mess isn't more taxation, it's less taxation.

Lower rents (even if it has to be legislated rent control) and lower business rates for smaller businesses (a sliding scale on turnover would probably be fairest) so a small photography shop employing 3 or 4 people pays a small amount considering how little the local council does for them while the large multinational like Tesco down the road pays a large amount.

The fact the average business rates is heading towards £15k pa is ridiculous, considering how little they get, even refuse removal is extra. The fact so many charity shops thrive on the High Street by being exempt from business rates just shows how much they handicap a business.

Dave I agree with just about everything you've expressed. Many high street operators in our suburban towns are taxed out of existence, if not centrally then by local governments. Rents and non-domestic rates are so intolerably high that many independent operators largely find it near impossible to generate a decent living profit. This is particularly true in seemingly desirable areas such as Richmond or Wimbledon to the extent that it is chain stores that are generally the only ones now able to afford these rents and rates so as to maintain a presence in such areas. However as we have seen over these past years, even they cannot support this level of expenditure forever. In the areas mentioned which I know, gone are the Whittards, Jessops, Curry's and Dixons along with a plethora of independents. Instead we have coffee houses, estate agents, the clothing chains which have survived and of course, those charity shops.

I gather from a retired banker friend that in France, rents and rates I believe too are controlled so that one has a variety of independent operators. Why this cannot happen here is all because the legislative powers have not the will or interest in reducing these charges. Agents thrive since rents are always driven upwards. Who has ever heard of a commercial rental agreement that exhibits a rent review clause that takes in the prevailing economic conditions? None since all of them are upwardly-rising as sadly, are the non-domestic rates. This lamentably continues to the detriment of all our local communities.

Last edited:
What other good camera stores are there on high street?
In Manchester if anyone knows...

Know the London Camera Exchange , but none else.... except currys.... but they too expensive.

Park Cameras, T4 (oxfordshire/wiltshire area only) , Ffordes (beuly invernesshire), SRS (watford), Mifsuds (brixham, devon), mathers (bolton)

also Digital Depot and WEX (though they tend to out of town units)

Wilkinsons in Bury too!

Park Cameras, T4 (oxfordshire/wiltshire area only) , Ffordes (beuly invernesshire), SRS (watford), Mifsuds (brixham, devon), mathers (bolton)

also Digital Depot and WEX (though they tend to out of town units)

Digital Depot are in the high street part of the old town with free parking not out of town :)

Ffordes wouldn't even be classed as on a street never mind the high street. A real shame the two Jessops going in Glasgow, but maybe an opportunity for another independent.

There's Cameraworld in Chelmsford. They also have a store in London.

Ffordes wouldn't even be classed as on a street never mind the high street.

this kind of petty points scoring is very tiresome - they are located on a road between the A831 and the main street in Wester Balblair.

okay so its not a buzzing high street where you might find a jessops , but its a village street not an out of town retail park which was the sailent point

this kind of petty points scoring is very tiresome - they are located on a road between the A831 and the main street in Wester Balblair.

okay so its not a buzzing high street where you might find a jessops , but its a village street not an out of town retail park which was the sailent point

Beauly has a high street, but Ffordes isn't on it. It's on a high street much in the same way a farm is on the high street.

What other good camera stores are there on high street?
In Manchester if anyone knows...

Know the London Camera Exchange , but none else.... except currys.... but they too expensive.

I guess all you people telling us of stores all over the country missed this bit.

it wasnt there originally :whistle:

google tells us that theres apparent a company called the "real camera company" at 5-7 dale street , manchester - who have manchesters largest selection off second hand goods

and theres a stephens photo centre 19 A barton avenue - who only appear to stock leica

that aside theres mathers in bolton and wilkinsons in bury as previously mentioned

Last edited:
Last edited:
Although not connected to this thread, it's been mentioned a number of times that most people expect HMV to be the next high street store to fall. BBC now reporting that HMV shares are suspended and the administrators have been called in.

I've heard grumblings that New Look could be next. I know it's not going to be overly interesting for a majority male forum. I've got a £25 voucher and no opportunity to get in and spend it.

Those rumours about New Look were going about at the end of October, but flatly denied. HMV looked only a matter of time.

Although not connected to this thread, it's been mentioned a number of times that most people expect HMV to be the next high street store to fall. BBC now reporting that HMV shares are suspended and the administrators have been called in.

BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21021073

FT:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...TFVLAPN2IAwoeYZXg&sig2=IYO8LM-LIt1PLIXhyV8Gsw

We were talking about this only on Friday. It's so desperately sad for the people who are going to lose their jobs. Things change I know. Now we buy may things online which we used to go into shops for. If only the workforce could move with these changing patterns.

HMV's own fault too.
My local one shoved all music into the small, cramped basement, outside of the top 40 choice is poor. The ground floor (that used to be full of CDs) is now decked out in ipod docks and expensive headphones that no-one buys, literally I've never seen anyone looking at them.

I've had vouchers from xmas 2011 and 2012 and have struggled to spend them because I can't find CDs I want, I have a reasonable varied taste - just happens not to be the latest boy band or whatever.

Incidentally one of the blokes running Jessops jumped ship to join HMV a while ago, co-incidence?

So HMV are calling the administrators in tomorrow morning. I'm sorry to hear it but can't say I'm surprised - in fact I said that they would be next earlier in this thread. Again it's terrible for the employees, however I'm sure most of them must have been expecting this for quite a while. A little less surprising than Jessops' administration. Still not a good way for them to start the year.

Deloitte have been appointed the administrators and seem confident that they will be able to find a buyer for the business. Personally I hope they can, however I think it may be very optimistic thinking on their behalf given HMV's business model has been changed irreversibly, in no small measure 'thanks' to apple and iTunes. HMV tried digital downloads but failed miserably in their attempt. The likes of Netflix, LoveFilm, Sky/Virgin On Demand are all making buying films less and less attractive. Games will become more and more digital download based, again taking away another 'core' revenue stream from HMV.

If it does survive, then it will clearly have to be a much different business to what it is today.

danski said:
So HMV are calling the administrators in tomorrow morning. I'm sorry to hear it but can't say I'm surprised - in fact I said that they would be next earlier in this thread. Again it's terrible for the employees, however I'm sure most of them must have been expecting this for quite a while. A little less surprising than Jessops' administration. Still not a good way for them to start the year.

Deloitte have been appointed the administrators and seem confident that they will be able to find a buyer for the business. Personally I hope they can, however I think it may be very optimistic thinking on their behalf given HMV's business model has been changed irreversibly, in no small measure 'thanks' to apple and iTunes. HMV tried digital downloads but failed miserably in their attempt. The likes of Netflix, LoveFilm, Sky/Virgin On Demand are all making buying films less and less attractive. Games will become more and more digital download based, again taking away another 'core' revenue stream from HMV.

If it does survive, then it will clearly have to be a much different business to what it is today.

HMV would have to become a niche store for those that still buy DVDs and music on a physical disc. There is no other future.

Government aim is to get everyone on line so the customer pool will shrink more and more. Even if they do survive now then in a few years they'll be back against the wall.

Town centres can no longer be just retail space. They have to offer experiences or other services you can't do at a distance.

Even staffs library now lends out ebooks.

Shops have to change with the times, virgin megastores left the UK high street a while ago.

ShrubMonkey said:

BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21021073

FT:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQqQIoADAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2Fc4096aee-5e82-11e2-a771-00144feab49a.html&ei=V270UMyRDpGo0AXlpoHQBA&usg=AFQjCNF-a93XJ9EW3TFVLAPN2IAwoeYZXg&sig2=IYO8LM-LIt1PLIXhyV8Gsw

Although possibly temporary, they've also suspended vouchers and returns too.

Shops have to change with the times, virgin megastores left the UK high street a while ago.

It's cheaper sourcing online for most of what one can buy without seeing. It's a pity not to be able to see some of these things as one used to but I guess that's part of the evolution of the high street we are seeing now. No one is immune to these changes, not independents and certainly not chains either. One does hope though that as many jobs may be saved as is possible.

It doesn't get us away from an earlier discussion that operators on our high streets are fleeced by greedy landlords, their equally-covetous agents and similarly-rapacious councils. If our high streets are to change and other service industries or whatever take the place of empty shops, then they too would be faced with the same greed that had done away with the stores whose demise we now lament. Not the only cause of business failure but a major contributor nevertheless.

If anyone had booked a place on a Jessops workshop then a heads up that goingdigital are offering free places on their workshops if you provide a copy of your Jessops confirmation. Details on the goingdigital website. You need to book by end of Jan and it says places are limited

I have never understood why no one has come up with a system that allows you to plug in your iPod/iPhone/other device in a store, select your music, and download it there and then.

I am sure if you allowed people this choice in store, you would get a few more people buying an album off the cuff, rather than just browsing the endless stack of CD's. The same could be down for videos. All you would then need is someway of having a onetime download link sent to your email.

Sectionate said:
I have never understood why no one has come up with a system that allows you to plug in your iPod/iPhone/other device in a store, select your music, and download it there and then.

I am sure if you allowed people this choice in store, you would get a few more people buying an album off the cuff, rather than just browsing the endless stack of CD's. The same could be down for videos. All you would then need is someway of having a onetime download link sent to your email.

But why would you do that in a store rather than in the comfort of your own home? I know which I would choose every time.....

All this online shopping is creating one huge set of fat gits. Is that why obesity is on the increase?

But why would you do that in a store rather than in the comfort of your own home? I know which I would choose every time.....

It would be another revenue stream for them, I have been in town before and browsed HMV, found a CD and rather than by it there, I have waited until I have got home to download it off iTunes. If I could do it in store there and then and add it straight to my device, I would.

If you knew how an iDevice works, you'd realise why your suggestion wouldn't have worked for HMV, not to mention each store having to have a fast fat pipe to download from a central server.
Nice idea in theory, but not practical, in any sense of the word, to be implemented.

Sectionate said:

I don't think there's anything stopping them in the same way you can buy FLAC files online from places other than iTunes. You've got no competitive advantage, no scale, no USP, higher costs etc etc etc

virtually all the expensive gear still belongs to their suppliers and has gone back to them

only the cheap own brand crap will remain, and that will probably wind up on ebay

All this online shopping is creating one huge set of fat gits. Is that why obesity is on the increase?

Now I think this matter bears further investigation. We could as concerned citizens call for a government initiative headed perhaps by you ;) The nation's economic and physical health could it seems be very closely intertwined. :D

HMV's own fault too.
My local one shoved all music into the small, cramped basement, outside of the top 40 choice is poor. The ground floor (that used to be full of CDs) is now decked out in ipod docks and expensive headphones that no-one buys, literally I've never seen anyone looking at them.

I've had vouchers from xmas 2011 and 2012 and have struggled to spend them because I can't find CDs I want, I have a reasonable varied taste - just happens not to be the latest boy band or whatever.

Incidentally one of the blokes running Jessops jumped ship to join HMV a while ago, co-incidence?
On several occasions I have gone into HMV with the intention of buying some CDs only to walk out miffed and frustrated because firstly, it takes me an age to find the right 'shelf' and secondly, because when I do find the right shelf, none of the artists/albums that I have in mind are there and none of what is there grabs my fancy. I realise that taste is a personal matter but I don't consider my tastes to be too niche for the biggest high street name in CD sales to have something that takes my interest on their shelves. The last time I ordered a CD online from them, it took over a month to arrive (but no indication of this was given when I ordered it).

Before this news broke, I had already decided not to shop with them either on the high street or online.

They never have it in if it's been advertised on TV. Many a time I've had to order something off Amazon because HMV didn't have it.

Back