Jessops on the verge of administration

if I bought something using their 10 month interest free thing, what happens if they close?

I have a lens on order with them on finance...What do you think the chances of me getting it or if I should cancel it anyway with the no returns policy?

Finance is going to be with a finance company even if it's interest free so shouldn't be affected ... if I was starting a finance agreement now I would cancel it and buy elsewhere.

Very sad news. I bought my first proper camera, a 1N, from them way back when. Very sad news indeed. That said, I wonder if the administrators have a 500mm mk2 that they fancy shifting at a rock-bottom price?

LBC News has just said that Jessops are now in administration.

real shame really, especially for the staff! I have over the years spent quite a lot with jessops, But on my terms! As with most people I think, If the difference in price is not to much then People would purchase. Last year I bought a sigma 500 lens with a bit of Haggling, and interest free! However it wasnt a happy purchase I used the 10 month interest free in August, and recieved the lens in October, I had to involve the finance company who had already paid jessops in August, sigma never recieved the order till sept after I made enquiries to sigma. When sigma did receive the order, they held on to the lens till october till jessops paid them. however in their defence(jessops) I recieved £250 cash back as an apology. This was on top of my pre purchase discount! Mike

It's a rather ironic state of affairs that this thread alternates with the Panamoz thread at the top of this forum. I'm guessing HK imports, whilst small in the grand scheme of things, has been enough to put yet another dent in their business.

Just called Domestic and General who underwrite the Jessops extended warranties, and they have confirmed they will still honour them.

If anyone wants to contact them personally, then they can be reached on 08444 810 500 (or 024 7664 3466 for the switchboard and just ask for Customer Services if you dont want to get stuck at 5p per minute for an 0844...)

Last edited:
It's a rather ironic state of affairs that this thread alternates with the Panamoz thread at the top of this forum. I'm guessing HK imports, whilst small in the grand scheme of things, has been enough to put yet another dent in their business.

I doubt it really, I think there are so many factors working against the UK retailer and this year will see many more bite the dust.

tonester said:
Statement from the administrators has confirmed no returns will be accepted and they will not be accepting gift cards!! That's some of my Xmas pressies down the swany then!!!

This hugely annoys me. I'm in the same position. I ask for vouchers for Xmas every year so I can pool them together and buy photography equipment. As I knew Jessops were struggling I asked for Amazon vouchers this year but my parents being traditionalists bought me £50 worth of Jessops vouchers in good faith 2 weeks ago on Xmas even. These are now completely worthless. I can appreciate they need to operate as a going concern right up until they go to admin but feel the consumer should get more protection here and companies should be forced to withdraw vouchers as soon as their is any doubts to their financial stability. They surely took people's cash knowing exactly what was round the corner. The exact same happened last year to my partner with Peacocks vouchers last year. She had £70 worth for xmas, a few weeks later it went into admin and she was offered 3p on the £1 in the end so would've received £2.10 which she didn't bother perusing. The only saving grace for me is this time last year I had £400 of Jessops vouchers from bday and Xmas which I had stored away until May when I bought my d90 (when stock came through after Thailand floods) so it could've been a lot worse. I feel like kicking myself however as I went on Jessops site Sunday to order but decided to wait until Thursday and do next day delivery when i knew someone would be in.

So the chances of getting my lens will be slim.They have been messing me round a little and very vague on when I would get my lens and then said Sony could only get stock to them in 2 months but they have an ex-display at another store in mint condition.Plus not sure if they have messed up with the deposit because cant see any of the amount taken from my bank yet.

Out of interest, are cashback offers solely the responsibility of the manufacturer? I'm awaiting £130 from Panasonic for a Jessops purchase a few days ago. I presume/hope that will be fine.

Out of interest, are cashback offers solely the responsibility of the manufacturer? I'm awaiting £130 from Panasonic for a Jessops purchase a few days ago. I presume/hope that will be fine.

You'll be fine, the cashback is nothing to do with Jessops.

Another one bites the dust.

A pity, the manager of my local store (Llandudno) is/was very knowledgeable and helpful.

I hope those who end up out of a job find alternative work soon.

I agree, feel sorry for the staff if they go under.

Nostalgia alert... Fond memories of going to Jessops when they had their one and only store in Hinkley Road in Leicester back in the early eighties to buy a Minox 35ML. The Minox is still going strong.

Classic time for retailers to go into administration......struggle on til Christmas in the hope that you have a miracle quarter. Rent due in Jan so if there's not enough money in the till after Christmas it's game over especially as they did a debt for equity swap a couple of years ago.

Sad to see but there prices were staggeringly inconsistant...I bought my Nikon 50mm 1.4G from them, was a very good price but the price they wanted for a D7000 grip was £70 over the odds.

I've noticed that stock levels have fallen our local Jessops never have anything good in stock. At least the staff got christmas more then comet did.

It's sad times for company this size.

I was in the Oracle in Reading at Xmas and another fave shop was 'Closing down sale' only opened there at Sept. The manager said every company was trying to haggle rent reviews. He said that 14 Big High street names are on the verge of the very same thing as Jessops. 14? The High street will be a S H I T hole full of kack charity shops at this rate. Property owners should lower or stall rent rises.

it seems they would rather destroy a business group until times get better than get reduced rent that helps a company and still give the Landlord revenue... Empty shop space does not help them if no rent comes in. better something than nothing.

Greed Greed Greed.

Just called Domestic and General who underwrite the Jessops extended warranties, and they have confirmed they will still honour them.

If anyone wants to contact them personally, then they can be reached on 08444 810 500 (or 024 7664 3466 for the switchboard and just ask for Customer Services if you dont want to get stuck at 5p per minute for an 0844...)

That's good - I have a 3 year one on my 5D MkII <phew>

Shame that this has happened though :(

That was the funny thing with Jessops, many of their camera and lens prices were actually quite competitive (as an avid camerapricebuster fan I can confirm this!). My Panasonic G5 came from them only last week, cheapest on the web.

With that and their rather excellent ongoing interest free offer I am a little surprised, there are certainly other stores I could see folding before them.

It's up and working for me, no mention on the home page about being in administration either.

Cached version? It's definitely down.

Worrying statement on Sky News...

The administrators added: "At present Jessops is not in a position to honour customer vouchers or to accept returned goods."

Last edited:
That's my Christmas pressie voucher down the toilet :annoyed:
Seems so unfair :bang:

Working for me as well, even after refreshing.

Quite right, I'm guessing it's a traffic issue rather than the actual plug being pulled on it.

Working for me as well, even after refreshing.

And me. More worryingly, it appears you ca still buy gift vouchers! One can only hope it won't process them when you get to checkout.

They only reopened last month in Bury st edmunds in a new store after a fire caused the old one to have to shut! Wonder why they bothered?

if you have bought anything using credit card, and your mad if you havent, then your ok :)

Not sure why they are still trading though, although its the only way to generate cash.

Last edited:
Daryl said:
A company goes tits up and thousands are about to loose jobs and everyone bitches about Vouchers.

UNBELIEVABLE!

Get your kit from Calumet and you would be fine.

That's a hugely flippant and unfair statement to make. No one is saying people do not feel for the staff and the its a a huge shame to see it go under but I don't think it's unfair for people to vent their frustration about a product/service they bought in good faith. Yes it pales into insignificance compared to the staff, other creditors etc but voucher holders are stakeholders in this none the less.

It will get pre packed, and the goverment will get knobbed for paye vat etc. The stores that are trading badly will go, the ones that are ok will stay.

Pre pack is a disgusting way for the rich to be richer and should be banned.

the guys who bought comet for £2.00 will come away with millions as they were prefered creditors over the HMRC, and comet owed them £50M as part of the deal, so any monies rasied they will get, HMRC who were owed £27m, the customers and suppliers will get NOWT.

It's sad times for company this size.

I was in the Oracle in Reading at Xmas and another fave shop was 'Closing down sale' only opened there at Sept. The manager said every company was trying to haggle rent reviews. He said that 14 Big High street names are on the verge of the very same thing as Jessops. 14? The High street will be a S H I T hole full of kack charity shops at this rate. Property owners should lower or stall rent rises.

it seems they would rather destroy a business group until times get better than get reduced rent that helps a company and still give the Landlord revenue... Empty shop space does not help them if no rent comes in. better something than nothing.

Greed Greed Greed.

The problem is most of the landlords cannot go down this route, as once they do, everyone wants the same deal, shopping centers are not too bothered as they are not empty, and i suspect most of jessops stores will be high footfall areas, such as shopping centers.

If you want a cheap high street shop there are loads, most small landlords will do a £1.00 a week deal, it means they are not paying business rates which is the killer, business rates are a tax for NOTHING, you get NOTHING for them, they are more of a problem thatn rent.

Just wonder where the first port of call will be to judge prices with now? As I always checked Jessops prices first, then started to shop around a bit.

on a tangent, I have shot some product in the kitchen of the chairman of PricewaterhouseCoopers, a very nice man :)

Back