Jessops rant

I had a similar incident in PC World yesterday. I saw a monitor I quite liked, on the way to the till, I noticed that on the clearance table they had exactly the same monitor but unboxed with a sticker saying 'At least 40% discount'. I took the unboxed to the till to find it was the same price as the boxed one. Despite a chat with the Manager, there was no further reduction so I left without either.

Chris

This is a common trick at my PC World. They fill their so-called clearance area with stuff off the shelves at the normal prices.

In terms of customer service it's a little hard for the retailer to swallow such a big difference. If it had been a few quid they might have accepted it out of goodwill.

The display lens at the lower price could have been sold at a profit. The same profit that they would have made had the lens been sold a couple of weeks ago. Just because Nikon etc have just increased their prices it doesn't mean that existing old stock has to have their prices increased too.

True assuming it was a valid price to start with but perhaps the bigger issue is that the staff in store simply don't have that much control and would have to answer for what happened?

Wrong! The price label is an invitation to treat, not a contract of sale. A retailer is within their right to remove the item from sale, then replace it at the correct price.

You are completely correct.

Don't blame Jessops. I was in the local Antics store in Worcester before xmas and was told by them Nikon were increasing prices,he would let me have a Nikkor 70-300 VR lens for £325,so onto the web I went and found the best price £298.Jessops £315,but I included a voucher for £20 as well that I also found so deal made at £295.Just checked now and the same item is £369.Nikon must be sure they can keep sales going after these huge increases:thumbsdown:

Was he playing on his Nintendo DS when you walked in aswell?
It was him that told me why so much stuff is hard to get at the moment, basically all linked to this price hike business.

I must have been lucky in pc world,a few months ago i bought a new router,when i sent to the till to pay for it i was told it was more expensive than the price displayed by mistake.
I made such a fuss at the tills with a big queue forming i got it for the price displayed.:LOL::D

In terms of customer service it's a little hard for the retailer to swallow such a big difference. If it had been a few quid they might have accepted it out of goodwill.

That was my point - the store should not need to swallow the difference as they will have purchased the lens at the lower prices

Surely this means they can sell it on at a reduced price?

I must have been lucky in pc world,a few months ago i bought a new router,when i sent to the till to pay for it i was told it was more expensive than the price displayed by mistake.
I made such a fuss at the tills with a big queue forming i got it for the price displayed.:LOL::D

Exactly, how would PC World, Jessops pricing stupidity go down at Tesco checkout. It would be utter chaos with people leaving their trolleys and walking away in complete confusion.

When I see a pricing label I reasonably expect to pay that price no more no less, is that so difficult for some retailers to understand, seems it is.

Any way thanks for all your replies. I have found my lens elsewhere:wave:...

That was my point - the store should not need to swallow the difference as they will have purchased the lens at the lower prices

As above, the staff probably don't have the choice to reduce by such an amount over their listed price - head office would be asking questions.

I'm fairly sure the inviation to trade bit only applies to items on display in the window, items priced up in the shop have to be sold at the marked price.

By that logic, if there is no price tag on the item in the store, do they have to give it away for free?

I went to that exact shop, queued for 40 minutes to buy a monopod which was on display behind the counter. Thought it was worth waiting because it was a good offer. When i finally got the item i went outside and found the the piece to connect it to the camera was missing, even thought it was supposed to be included. I then had to wait a further 25 minutes for a refend. The staff in hereford jessops are a joke.

just to stir things up a teensy bit - the pricing tickets in Jessops (the rectangle white ones) actually have expiry dates for offered prices... the problem at the moment is that lots of price changes come through and ticketing needs to be kept on top of..having said that I do have to defend at least the acting Manager of Hereford - she is very good with customers.

Flash

If Trading Standards investigated and found evidence that the retailer was regularly misleading people about the price they were to charging, charges could be brought.

Who

Maybe you need to see an optician cos if you had looked rather than trying to slag me off you'd have seen in a later posting i stated i was mistaken

Last edited:
Exactly, how would PC World, Jessops pricing stupidity go down at Tesco checkout. It would be utter chaos with people leaving their trolleys and walking away in complete confusion.

When I see a pricing label I reasonably expect to pay that price no more no less, is that so difficult for some retailers to understand, seems it is.
Lots of people don't check the price that comes up on the till against the price on the shelf in supermarkets (if indeed there was a price on the shelf in the first place!) I've been behind people loads of times in supermarkets where they have queried the price of items against what was advertised. It's probably pretty common practice in most shops, and I would guess that it is common through ineptitude towards managing labels rather than malice.

My only experience of Jessops stores comes from the Edinburgh and Aberdeen branches. I have found each visit's success dependant on the attitude of individual members of staff, and their relationship with the price 'deciding' manager. Some are flexible, courteous and knowledgeable, others have been obtuse, obstructive and obnoxious!

I know exactly what you mean. A couple of months ago, I was going to buy one of those pathetic compact table tripods. The price was 6.99 so I went to the counter and the guy there scanned it into the till and it came up with the price, 6.99. But he said "I think they've actually gone up in price a bit". So he went off and when he came back he said that it was £18! :wacky: So, of course, I didn't buy it. I just buy things on-line now.

That's illegal - if it is priced wrong but appears on the till at a higher price its fair game, but if it comes up on the till at the incorrect price they are obliged to honour it.

Well one you should have pushed that the lens was advertised at £783 and by law they have to sell it at that price.

They don't have to sell at that price if it is an error.

How would you do this? Sell X lenses at a lower price nationwide then increase them all? Or do some stores manage to sell at a lower price for longer as they have a larger space out back with 8 lenses waiting to be sold instead of 2?

All sellers must clearly display the full price including vat. If the seller make a mistake in pricing although you cannot insit on being sold the good at the price (in the US you can), it is a criminal offence under part 3 of the consumer credit act 1987 to give misleading information about the price of the goods.
You should contact Consumer Direct 0845 404 0506

It's been said before but, I wouldn't tar every Jessops with the same brush. On Friday I went to the one in Cardiff where they have a whole floor dedicated to Pro Equipment and DSLRs. The staff were both knowledgeable and friendly. I will certainly be returning :)

Ive only read the first page so excuse me if my reply is completely out dated :LOL:

When I was working in retail, and we saw something was the wrong price as we were selling it to the customer, we would go into the back, and work out - we would explain to the customer nicely, the proper price, and either sell it to the customer at the price shown [depeninding on margins and things] or offer a discount but still not the full discount. Both those two are just customer service tbh.

Failing that, we would apologise, and remove it from sale for 24hours. I was led to believe that, that was the stated time it had to be removed for. :shrug:

I think this thread is a great example of why people shouldn't offer their opinion as legal fact unless they are 100% sure they are right...we must have about 5 interpretations on what has gone on here, and to be honest, I'm no clearer on my rights!

The supermarket comment is an interesting one, my Mother in Law has the time to check such things in detail, and at least half of all her Tesco receipts have mistakes on them, every other time she goes shopping she takes previous receipts in with her and gets refunds from customer services. I'm guessing 99% of us don't bother looking.

All sellers must clearly display the full price including vat. If the seller make a mistake in pricing although you cannot insit on being sold the good at the price (in the US you can), it is a criminal offence under part 3 of the consumer credit act 1987 to give misleading information about the price of the goods.
You should contact Consumer Direct 0845 404 0506

Way to go contradicting yourself (y)

You can't intentionally misprice something by mistake.

Way to go contradicting yourself (y)

You can't intentionally misprice something by mistake.

You can insist on them selling it in the US, and mistake or not it's still misleading the public as to the real price. Otherwise all shops would price things wrong and just say "Oh sorry it's a mistake!" to get you in the shop. My Jessop has done this to me in the past, one reason I won't buy cameras there anymore.

You can insist on them selling it in the US, and mistake or not it's still misleading the public as to the real price. Otherwise all shops would price things wrong and just say "Oh sorry it's a mistake!" to get you in the shop. My Jessop has done this to me in the past, one reason I won't buy cameras there anymore.

What you said previously was still nonsense. Are you implying by "My Jessop (sic) has done this to me in the past" that Jessops have previously mispriced items deliberately to get people to come into their shops?

That's a fairly serious allegation.

What you said previously was still nonsense. Are you implying by "My Jessop (sic) has done this to me in the past" that Jessops have previously mispriced items deliberately to get people to come into their shops?

That's a fairly serious allegation.

Whats your beef with me then Flash? Getting a bit personal isn't it?
The answer to your question is Jessop have quoted me the wrong cheap price on the phone to get me into their shop, then the give me the real price much dearer of course. I used to know one of the staff at the time and he told me it was common practice. Wayne

Whats your beef with me then Flash? Getting a bit personal isn't it?
The answer to your question is Jessop have quoted me the wrong cheap price on the phone to get me into their shop, then the give me the real price much dearer of course. I used to know one of the staff at the time and he told me it was common practice. Wayne

I don't have a beef with you personally, Wayne, but you're posting erronious information and slinging allegations about. I would have thought if it was "common practice" for Jessops to do such a thing then it would be well known in photographic circles, wouldn't you?

Regarding what I said being "a bit personal", I stand by what I said, the information in your previous posts is nonsense.

Last edited:
Who

Maybe you need to see an optician cos if you had looked rather than trying to slag me off you'd have seen in a later posting i stated i was mistaken

Yes, you followed one incorrect statement with another. Put the shovel down and step away from the hole.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. Wayne

It's not just my opinion, Wayne, statements like "items priced up in the shop have to be sold at the marked price." are total nonsense.

Here's an example...

I know guys who deal in old, collectable toys, many of these still have their original shop price sticker on them from 30 or 40 years ago. If there is no other price tag on display for the item does that mean the dealer has to sell £500 of antique for £1.99?

Last edited:
Intent is the key word here. It's one thing to display a cheap price with the intention of attracting customers only to charge more at the till. It's quite another tohave an old price ticket of a previous price still displayed purely by accident or human error.

Any legal action could be defended if the retailer shows reasonable steps were taken to prevent the mistake, ie. demonstrate systems in place that notify stores of updated prices, policies and procedures, etc.

Clearly some people wish to believe it was a willful and deliberate act by Jessops, others that it was a genuine mistake. Whatever the reason Jessops were still within their rights to refuse the sale at the lower price.

Just to cool the flames a little I'll wander off a bit with another story. Some years ago, back in the mid to late 70s I was in an old motorbike shop in Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire. It was owned by an old man, Bert Jeffries, and he dealt almost exclusively in British bikes. We had been decimal for a few years, but his shop 'till' was a cloth bag, and it was still rife with old coinage.

One day when I was in there somebody came in and asked if, by chance, he had or knew where he could get a set of front forks for an Ariel Square Four. That's a bike produced from 1930 to 1954. Bert shuffled off upstairs to his storeroom and after a few minutes of banging around came down with a brand new pair. Unable to contain his delight, the customer asked how much. Bert looked at the price tag and said "Thirty seven shillings and sixpence". That's £1.50 in today's money. And that is the price that he wanted.

Some time in the 90s I caught the last few minutes of a documentary that the BBC did about him. Bert was still alive then - in his 90s, and his son was running the shop.

Back