Jessops to close 80 stores?

went to bolton today, the new jessops on Middlebrook retail park is closing. They keep the one near mathers and close the one which is on the busy out of town centre.

ps why dont warehouse express buy the 80 closing and whoop jessops out of the water lol

I used to work for Jessops a few years ago. To be honest we were predicting this collapse the day they started buying everyone. There was no way they could sustain that growth especially when in some small town centers they had 2-3 stores. I agree that some stores give excellent quality service, I know that people used to come from miles to the branch I worked at purely for the service. They loved that they could come in and play with the gear and stand around chatting about photography and maybe have a coffee when it was quiet. Along with the fact that we always used to try and get the prices down for them. I must admit that I miss it. What i don't miss is Jessops as an employer. I can honestly say that they are the worst company I have ever worked for. They dont give a rats a** about the staff, or the customers for that matter. All they care about are the numbers. Staff incentives are pretty much zero, unless that is you force add ons and warranties down your customers throats. I don't know what the standard redundency pay offs are for other businesses but I heard that Jessops staff will get the equivalent of 1 weeks pay for every year worked. Knowing Jessops that will be net not gross!!!
Rant over

Looks like the two closest to me are remaining open Gateshead and Newcastle I thought the Newcastle one might go because its opposite the Jacobs. Either way I rarely go to Jessops as I find the staff pretty useless and prices too high. I tend to go to John Lewis for my cameras (fantastic after service) and very reasonably priced or shop on line.

Wanda

The Rotherham one has turned to a clearance store and just seems to have a bunch of consumer stuff left (small cases, compact cameras and the like). The one in Meadowhall is shut (temporarily) due to it being underwater not so long ago.

All a bit of a bugger as I wanted to have a fumble with a Manfrotto tripod yesterday :naughty:

Back