Joe Cornish - This land

I've had this a while - sits on the coffee table. It's a lovely book, but tbh I've only flicked through a few times. It's certainly more wordy than I thought it would be though!

It may be that working with an author like this dilutes the impact of the photographs in various ways.

For example in his previous books JC has presumably had total control over which images from which locations appeared, (ie they were image-led) .

Whereas this book is partly text-led and the photographer had to provide the images from the locations the author had chosen.

Strange, I thought the content was great. I really enjoyed both the photography and the writing. This was one of my favourite recent purchases, and I preferred it even over Gallery. What was it that you did not like?

For me there were just fewer absolutely outstanding images in it compared to his previous books. Look for example, at p243 (Flowerdale from.......) To me it looks like an out-take from a session which also produced the image on p103 of Scotland's Mountains, which is far better, in my opinion. And knowing most of his Welsh locations as i do, I don't think he has really done them all justice. But I am judging it by his normal high standards.

It has a rather subdued look to it too, which is a change from his Velvia days.

One thing which I thought was slightly telling was that he hadn't brought any for sale (not even a sample) at a recent workshop I met him at.....

Interesting I had not noticed that before, though on compering them personally other than the, much better, foreground in the Scotland Mountains image I prefer the This Land image for the tonal range. I keep meaning to get to the gallery to have a look as it would be interesting to see some of his work in print.

Books of landscape photographs belong in the last century, surely? Or on coffee tables in the lounges of bungalows where all is safe and paid-for, and where representations of landscape may be consumed like sweets or cake, without the discomforts of travel or labouring into a sleet-sodden wind?

It's a tested genre. Can its voice be new any more?

Books of landscape photographs belong in the last century, surely? Or on coffee tables in the lounges of bungalows where all is safe and paid-for, and where representations of landscape may be consumed like sweets or cake, without the discomforts of travel or labouring into a sleet-sodden wind?

Does it have to be new?

Do you think an image taken in a sleet sodden wind more valuable than one taken on a bright clear day? If so, why?

If you're trying to be controversial, you've succeeded. If only for those who physically cannot get out into those landscapes, books like these have a value.

Few people would claim that they have a novelty value but they follow in an honourable tradition of representing the landscape for those who haven't seen it, or at least haven't seen it through the eyes of that photographer.

Not necessarily Steve. It was a question!

I don't think it needs to be new.

I was referring to the consumption of photographs, not the means of their production.

Whats wrong with looking at pictures in a book, framing them on a wall. Not everything has to tell a story, there is merit in the aesthetically pleasing.

Books of landscape photographs belong in the last century, surely?

An interesting point, but can that not be said about any genre of photography and is the statement itself almost a sweeping generalisation? I say this because there are people like Paul Kenny, Valda Bailey, Chris Friel, etc who work in the landscape genre but still make interesting images, which are something different to 'straight' representations.

I personally love photo books, regardless of genre for a number of reasons. They they allow me to see things I probably will never see, or things I might see but in a way that I would never have imagined seeing them, or even on occasion just because they look nice.

This might be getting slightly off topic, but what do you think has a 'new' voice photographically (regardless of genre)? I ask only because I am always interested in looking at new things, as being exposed to something different is the best way to develop.

One difference between "This Land" and his previous books is that the photographs are accompanied by a substantial text (by another author) which is about the landscape, not about photography. I have always found this an interesting combination; text and image together can bring new perspectives on to the landscape (or any subject matter, come to that). It does depend on how original both strands are and I just wonder whether Roly Smith's is original enough, from what i've read.

I would rather look at images in books and prints than on a screen.

Back