John's 2010 52, Week 27 Art (July 10th)

Thanks very much Dade

Well... here it is... not much to say really... I grabbed the camera with the wrong lens on for this, so couldn't get as far away as I wanted, I was pretty close to full stretch and getting odd looks as it was, and didn't have time to go back and redo it. So this will have to do.

IMG_4497.jpg

The Nifty isn't ideal for this sort of thing as arms length, isn't long enough.

It kinda works though. Perhaps would have been better with the focus on the thumb?

good idea for this week, as above regarding the focus, I think it may have been better with focus on the Tue but still a good shot

trying to catch up with everyone... slowly..

great idea for isolation.. the set up goes way over my head but was well worth the effort.. think I prefer the desaturated version.. agree with sarah it looks more like you are paler after being shut away from the sun..

I love that second building shot.. the tint at the top looks fine to me.. the shadows and winding stairway give even more interest to the shot.. looks a fabulous place

nice idea for post.. i'm going for the focus on the thumb.. wonder what people thought you were up to.. getting proof of postage? :)

wonder what people thought you were up to.. getting proof of postage? :)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

You made life hard for yourself with the nifty, John. :LOL: I think sharp focus on either your thumb or Tues would work well, but I sympathise with the 'no time to do anything else' since I spent all of 5 minutes on my post box. :)

Definitely on theme, simple but effective composition, so not at all bad for a difficult week. (y)

Jean

It kinda works though. Perhaps would have been better with the focus on the thumb?

Thanks Dean, I think you're right...

Good idea, agree with Dean on the focus as my eyes are drawn to you hand.

thanks... ok

good idea for this week, as above regarding the focus, I think it may have been better with focus on the Tue but still a good shot

Thanks Darren, an interesting variation... I'll keep both handy for reshot.

I also agre with DC2Z the focus on the tuesday sign could of worked better.

Thanks David

trying to catch up with everyone... slowly..

great idea for isolation.. the set up goes way over my head but was well worth the effort.. think I prefer the desaturated version.. agree with sarah it looks more like you are paler after being shut away from the sun..

I love that second building shot.. the tint at the top looks fine to me.. the shadows and winding stairway give even more interest to the shot.. looks a fabulous place

nice idea for post.. i'm going for the focus on the thumb.. wonder what people thought you were up to.. getting proof of postage? :)

Thanks very much Michelle... :LOL: proof of postage :LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

You made life hard for yourself with the nifty, John. :LOL: I think sharp focus on either your thumb or Tues would work well, but I sympathise with the 'no time to do anything else' since I spent all of 5 minutes on my post box. :)

Definitely on theme, simple but effective composition, so not at all bad for a difficult week. (y)

Jean

I sure did Jean, it's something I seem to be quite good at :bang:. I'll try again, with a different lens maybe (kit at a bit less than 50mm) for a reshoot, and work on different focus points.

A good idea for the theme John. I like the colour and composition of your image. On the subject of point of focus, can I make another suggestion?
How about having exactly the same composition but with a stamp on the envelope and the stamp being the point of focus? Just my two pennies worth, which goes without saying please feel free to completely ignore :LOL:
Iain

Good idea John, cant imagine it was easy doing it with only one hand and thats not helped in getting the focus right which doesnt really work for me.

Dan

A great idea and it has come off pretty well in spite of the focus difficulties. You are definitely braver than I am! Can I come and watch the reshoot, as you try with different lenses and focus points, and different coloured envelopes and stamps? I could help to vouch for your sanity when they come to take you away... :D:D

Thanks for the comments all ;)... An interesting idea Iain, shame I didn't actually use a stamp, although I guess the barcode might have worked just as well... hmm (Royal Mail, print your own postage labels... not receiver pays :D).

I don't know about that for a reshoot Tracer :LOL:

Quality...Nice pano, it's just a shame about the sky on the right being a little bright.

Hmmm I think the second is a Quality shot John..now it's straight :D

Post... Simple and effective shot with the traditional post box, agree with the comments on focusing on the thumb and some details on the envelope.

(y)

Thanks for the comments Scott... You're right about the Pano... I checked all the way around... but ... Check on the details on the envelope for a reshoot.

I've had a number of ideas floating around in my head this week, and in the end, this one leapt out of the morass. It's a continuation of my experimentation into off camera flash. In this case, I fitted my home made snoot, put the bottom of the flute head into it, and packed it with some tissue, to support the tube, and diffuse the spill. My idea involved having a blast of light from the hole illuminating smoke so you could see it, but, I've no way to make smoke without risking burning down the house so decided against that.... I did use my other, non manual flash, bounced off the wall for a bit of fill light.

The link to Metal... I hear you ask ?? Well.. the flute head is precious Metal as it's solid silver.

IMG_4903.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely image John, very creative with your lighting (y)
You have managed to separate the black flute from the black background too, well done on that. A sharp image with good composition. My only crit would be to clone out the dust spots on the left hand side of the flute. Good job! Iain

Really liking the post shot, great colour plus DOF and composition spot on.

Metal is a unique take on the theme, you have done well toseperate the instrument from the background and the diagonal gives a strong composition. As said above there's a little dust on the left hand side that could use some cloning.

Lovely image John, very creative with your lighting (y)
You have managed to separate the black flute from the black background too, well done on that. A sharp image with good composition. My only crit would be to clone out the dust spots on the left hand side of the flute. Good job! Iain

Thanks Iain, the correct image has now been posted... I've no clue what's going on, I spent ages removing those spots in Aperture, only to find that on export it left some in :bang: And now to top it off photobucket is playing silly on me....

Really liking the post shot, great colour plus DOF and composition spot on.

Metal is a unique take on the theme, you have done well toseperate the instrument from the background and the diagonal gives a strong composition. As said above there's a little dust on the left hand side that could use some cloning.

Thanks very much Steve, dust is sorted... now to beat up the mac...

Like your metal shot. I like the way the hole where u blow (!) looks lit up from the inside.

Thanks JL... it is actually lit from the inside :D...

Hi John,

Massive catch up from me - sorry to fall so far behind.

Quality. I think that the second straightened building shot works very well. No idea how it says quality (much like my own effort for that theme ;) ), but I do know that I like it - even down to that greeny tint at the top.
For me it's the shadows from the roof that make it though. I love the contrast of those against the white walls.

Post. It's OK. It fits the theme and there's nothing :puke: about it. I just know that you've done better shots of this sort of thing in the past.
If you'd had the right lens and maybe chosen a different focal point, there is definitely more potential there. As it is, it works, but doesn't make me sit up and say "wow!" if you know what I mean.

Metal : Now that's more like it :clap: :clap: :clap:
I wondered if your flute might make an appearance this week.

An incense cone might have worked for the smoke you wanted, but TBH this is a strong shot just as it is.
Lovely lighting (great idea with illuminating it from inside), good composition and the flute is beautifully sharp and defined.
This is one of those shots that I just want to keep looking at.

very sharp image and love how you've managed to seperate the black flute from the background.

very sharp image and love how you've managed to seperate the black flute from the background.

Thanks Darren, the flute is actually silver, not black, it's picking up the black from the background in the reflections (it's a shiny flute and I'm trying very hard to keep it that way, my old one was decidedly not).

Interesting shot John, looks pretty well lit to me, i like the way the blown highlights distract a little from what it it and make it a more interesting shot

Thanks very much Chris (y)

I also wondered if I might find a flute in your thread this week!

I'm not disappointed in any way - that's a stylish shot, with the black-on-black working beautifully. Well done on the improvisation, too. A good week, John. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Thanks very much Jean, it seemed the most likely candidate apart from the opposite end of the scale... It's actually silver on black... the head is reflecting the black though...

One thing I am finding, this off camera lighting lark is amazingly versatile (apart from my inability to guesstimate how much flash power I really need... I have several of these with virtually no flute and totally blown out as I messed with the flash and camera settings...)

thank you both very much

I didn't like this theme last year, but got lucky, and I don't like this theme this year. Still. must have a go, and here it is...

IMG_5186.jpg

bahahaaa grunge, I remember seeing everyone having a grump at 'grunge' being in the themes again this year :p I think you've done a marvellous job with it anyway. Why does everyone dislike it anyway? I think it's a great theme :D

great bold colour, nice focus. I love the contrast between the delicate rose & the dirt. This'd make a wonderful print :)

I didn't grump about it Louise... but... it was also going to get drawn... even though we have more themes than 52.. I didn't like it as it comes down to the imagination and flair I mentioned on your 52 thread...

I struggled till this idea hit me between the eyes... if it hadn't worked I was going to just shoot anything and ignore the theme ;)...

As for you liking it, looking through your 52 thread... you've got a fair few in there would fit anyway :LOL:...

Thank you, I was aiming for the juxtaposition of the two. An interesting idea on the print ...

Good job on this weeks theme John.
I like it, you've brought colour into the theme. The composition is strong and as Louise said, the point of focus is spot on, I like the dof used. All round the image works, not sure if it would work as a print:thinking:.
What is the grunge? It looks like the contents of the hoover bag :LOL:. Iain

Good work on a difficult theme.
The strong colours of the rose works very well with the dirt. Very well lit and good DOF.

good image for a theme where I had to look up in a dictionary the exact meaning !

I like the contrast between the rose and the grungy bits.

Good job on this weeks theme John.
I like it, you've brought colour into the theme. The composition is strong and as Louise said, the point of focus is spot on, I like the dof used. All round the image works, not sure if it would work as a print:thinking:.
What is the grunge? It looks like the contents of the hoover bag :LOL:. Iain

Thanks very much Iain... I needed something to offset the grunge... I was making a cup of tea, saw the rose bush... recalled the full hoover bucket (we don't use bags ;))... and things just came together.

Good work on a difficult theme.
The strong colours of the rose works very well with the dirt. Very well lit and good DOF.

Thanks very much Darren

good image for a theme where I had to look up in a dictionary the exact meaning !

I like the contrast between the rose and the grungy bits.

Thanks very much JL

Good effort on a tricky theme - I think this would work well as a selective desat just leaving the rose coloration.

Phil

Nice one, I can see where you're coming from for a horrible theme. I don't know how you lit this but if you used off camera flash maybe a grid would have helped to isolate the flower from the background. Good effort though, I still have no idea what I'm going to do for this one.

Well done on this one, John. It makes an interesting interpretation of the theme and I like the contrast between the beautiful rose and the contents of your hoover! You've got dof and composition just right, and although I feel a bit sad that a beautiful rose bud has ended up with a horrible fate, I think you deserve a big (y)

Jean

Back