Non UK Join us on the ultimate 7 day Iceland photo adventure in 2018

Name
Ralph
Edit My Images
No
Okay, so maybe it's not the 'ultimate', but we have tried to put together something pretty special for photographers.

To explore Iceland and really immerse yourself the landscape, you have to get out there and camp. The problem with camping is the amount of kit you have to carry to be comfortable. Sure you can have a lightweight one man tent, a foam roll mat, a meths fuelled trangia, instant packet meals and a 40lb backpack. Apart from the pain of lugging all that, as well as your camera equipment, through the airport is that really a comfortable way to travel? For some, yes it is.

However we want to make it easier.

All you need to bring is your camera equipment, enough clothes for 7 days and your wash kit and get yourself on a cheap Easyjet flight from Manchester, Luton or Gatwick (Approx £140 return) to Iceland.

Once there, we will pick you up, with one other client, from the airport in our expedition prepared 4X4, take you on an adventure to see some of the most spectacular sites on the planet and drop you back off 7 days later. During those 7 days you will have the opportunity to photograph glaciers, waterfalls, natural steam vents, bubbling mud, volcanos, mountains, deserts, icebergs, basalt columns, black sand beaches, towering cliffs, sea stacks, geysers and puffins.

You will enjoy virtually 24 hour daylight with a 5 hour long 'golden hour', wild camp 2000ft up a mountain next to a crystal clear glacial stream, have the opportunity to sit in a natural geothermal river, eat dinner in a cave and have the chance to photograph many of the most popular sites when there is no one around and a lot more of the unusual and less visited places where tourists seldom go.

We supply each client with a 3 Person Camping Tent, a 3’ (90cm) flock inflatable mattress and a large 3 season sleeping bag with liner and pillow. Which we will erect and pack away for you each day.

We provide a comfortable chair so that you can relax, under cover, eat at a table and enjoy the breakfast, lunch and evening meal which will be prepared for you using local fresh produce. Hot and cold non-alcohol drinks will be available throughout the day.

We even have two spare tripods, so you can limit your luggage, and the opportunity to backup your images each day to a local rugged hard drive if you want to. 240v, 12v and USB charging are always available for your batteries.

What makes this tour special is the fact that it is limited to just two clients. Together we will explore the roads, gravel tracks and mountain routes of Iceland. Driving through rivers and exploring well into the interior. Don’t think that this will just be a trip ‘between’ locations. The countryside that we will be travelling through will throw up photo opportunities around every corner. If you don’t spot them then I am there to help point them out. Daily distances will be limited to allow for plenty of stops along the way.

If you spot something we will stop, if you miss it we will turn around and make sure you get it. Try asking for that in a coach or a minibus full of 12 others! If there are sites you have seen before, or want to explore a different area then, so long as the other client agrees, then it can be accommodated.

We are offering just 10 places. We can only run 5 tours and space is limited to 2 clients per tour. There is a discount if two people book together and a further 5% discount for forum members

The cost of running this venture, in time and money is high, so it is self funding i.e. all the money to pay for it is being raised from the booked clients. Because of this it needs all 10 places filled for it to go ahead. No money will be collected from anyone until I have interested parties for every seat. Once I have 10 names I shall then ask for a securing deposit. Sadly the deposit will be non-refundable as this will pay for the ferries to get the vehicle from the UK to Iceland.

Anyhow, enough of me wittering on! I have put together a website with as many details as possible and, if you're remotely interested, I would invite you to have a look here : http://www.iceland4x4.capturelight.co.uk/ .

I'm happy to answer any questions on here or directly.

Cheers

Ralph

Last edited:
With two expressions of interest already in the bag I though I would try and entice a few questions, comments or even bookings :)

I thought I would add a few images showing just a snapshot of what you can expect to see just on day one!

Within the first hour you'll visit the rugged cliffs of the Reykjanes Peninsula
36882358361_ab3624b1bc_h.jpg

36882355711_ae792b7fc0_h.jpg

After a time exploring the cliffs, this could be you photographing the geothermal vents at Gunnuhver
36882359911_7ad4bfc9a1_h.jpg

A few miles down the road and we will stop many times to see fascinating geological formations like this.
36882354011_bc630223bc_h.jpg

Who needs tourist traps when the roads will take us through this kind of scenery.
36882352031_d4b0b04dc3_h.jpg

We will stop for lunch so that you can wander and capture views like this:
36882347551_c0872c5ee1_h.jpg

As evening draws in on day one we will take a short walk to the 'blue waterfall', Bruarfoss. Take as much time as you like to wander the banks to find a unique angle.
36882345351_f05d768b6f_h.jpg

Finishing the day camping just 100 yds from the famous Geysir. With 24 hour daylight, you can wander the site all night, if you wish. Long after the tourists will have gone back to their hotels. Do this while your meal is cooked and your tent and bed prepared.
36882362171_d1817b8840_h.jpg

Remember, this is just day one!

I will never claim to be a landscape photographer, but If you are I'll make sure you have the views and the time to capture much better images than these.

I'll post some images from Day 2 in a few days.

I would welcome your feedback and comments.

Sounds like an interesting opportunity, can you give an indication of cost and the discount for 2 booking together, or did I miss that somewhere.

Sounds like a fabulous trip - If I wasnt already planning my 30th birthday trip I would be signing up.

I'll keep your website and details in my favorites however so I hope to see another trip like this in future.

Obviously I haven't tickled your travel buds enough, so here's a sample of what can be seen on Day two of our epic 7 day trip.

By leaving camp early we aim to arrive at Gullfoss well before the tourist buses get there.

37063564215_9965e69042_o.jpg

Knowing the area, as I do, there are plenty of other views to be had well away from the tourists and mainstream areas.
36256011503_bd8401fa0b_o.jpg

After leaving Gullfoss we will stop for a morning coffee at the lesser known Faxafoss.
36875381996_b3ee701fba_o.jpg

As the day progresses one of the many spectacular sites we will visit will be Háifoss. Iceland's second highest waterfall
36875382746_ab2a2bf9ae_o.jpg

For the second part of the day we will head into the highlands, where only a well prepared 4X4 is allowed. Here we will see some truly alien landscapes.
36228917624_5303057821_o.jpg

We will pass many unique features on roads hardly travelled by the vast majority of visitors to Iceland.
36895297196_7a297e3fcb_o.jpg

Passing through deep valleys carved by glaciers
37083674295_a3cb03ddf8_o.jpg

We will end the day 'wild' camped by a crystal clear glacial stream where we can sit and watch the mountains change colour around us as the light dims for the very short night.

36228919844_be18bc26ef_o.jpg

Remember that this itinerary has been put together to give you the highest exposure to as many fabulous sights as possible. However if you and the other guest want to spend longer in one area, say focusing on the mountains in the interior then this can be arranged. For two people travelling together we can compile a tailor made itinerary to suit exactly what you want.

Still no interest? Mmmm, perhaps some highlights from the Day 3 of the intinerary will help......

This day starts with a degree of uncertainty. The road ahead includes many river crossings. If the flow is too much we may have to follow a different path to our intended destination. Sometimes the glacial melt causes the rivers to run so deeply and so fast that it would be dangerous to attempt them. However the alternative route will still take us through the stunning Icelandic highlands at Landmannalaugar and will be just as photogenic. Even if it does take us a bit longer.

The end destination will be at the Skaftafell/Vatnajökull National Park campsite. Arriving in time to enjoy the gentle hike to view The Svartifoss waterfall and Skaftafellsjökull glacier.

Waking to the sound of a crystal clear stream
37083675735_445bca7cd2_o.jpg

The beauty of the interior on tracks seldom taken by the vast majority of tourists
36875385366_569b3c130d_o.jpg

On one route we can see the unique colours of the mountains of Landmannalaugar
36895285256_c009f9bf59_o.jpg

Martian landscape
36942299921_32da5a2531_o.jpg

Lunch stop.
37083673615_3801c90827_o.jpg

We will cross many glacial melt rivers on our way east
36270243703_4c20debf2f_o.jpg

Melting ice in Landmannalaugar
36270244743_9412e76890_o.jpg

9 seats left to fill. Go on, you know you want to :)

The full itinerary is here : http://www.iceland4x4.capturelight.co.uk/itinerary/ although this is only a starting point. Variations and suggestions are welcome if you want to build your own tailor made adventure.

Last edited:
Perhaps some images from day 4 will interest you?

Ice is the main theme of this day, with stunning views of glaciers, crystal ice formations and flowing icebergs

The mighty Vatnajökull
36942296731_1ff90d80b2_o.jpg

Jökulsárlón lagoon
36270228673_8b3c953630_o.jpg

Ice on the beach
36270224353_fb3f1865f3_o.jpg

How close would you like to get?
36913433242_7484772863_o.jpg

Blue ice is old ice at Jökulsárlón
36270230653_a6e952324a_o.jpg

Even to main road and iffy weather can throw up an interesting photo opportunity
36942298901_7c37d4403a_o.jpg

One of the many 'tongues' of Vatnajökull
36942297851_667114cf75_o.jpg

This day will end camped in one of the most spectacular spots in southern Iceland surrounded by towering volcanic stacks. You will even have to option to eat your evening meal in the 'dining cave!
'Remember I don't claim to be a landscape photographer, so just think what you could do in this place. This trip is fully catered, flexible and limited to just two guests at a time. All you need is your camera equipment, enough clothes for 7 days and cheap flight to Keflavik.

If anyone is interested there are plenty more details and images at http://www.iceland4x4.capturelight.co.uk/

Last edited:
No more interest? Too expensive? not enough included? No one here like Iceland? Perhaps Day 5 might?

On day 5 we drive the shortest route, but will experience the widest variety of subjects.

Retracing the mountain path back to the N1 we will continue west. Very soon though we will turn to the south and visit the black volcanic beach and basalt columns at Reynisfjara beach. This is just the first port of call. Before the day is out we will stand just feet away from puffins, walk behind a waterfall and witness one of the most iconic views Iceland has to offer.

We will also visit some lesser known areas to avoid the tourists.

We end the day camping at the stunning Þórsmörk, after many river crossings and passing the Gígjökull glacier and see first hand the impact of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption in 2011.
36808604570_1a37a80bdf_o.jpg

37016042756_b518a168ec_o.jpg

]
36808602820_f5221e9e5e_o.jpg

37016043836_3d87189bf4_o.jpg

36808591620_78d3b00b29_o.jpg

37016039336_abd327385f_o.jpg

36808597560_1167afe3b3_o.jpg

36808595520_568a5d416c_o.jpg

I have now placed a facebook ad covering the UK and Ireland and several people are expressing interest. I will make a decision at the end of November if this will go ahead.

Last edited:
@holty Thanks for the comment and I'm happy to explain (justify:sorry:) the pricing.

For us to provide the trip we need to cover the cost of transporting our vehicle, and us, to and from Iceland and cover fuel, food and camping costs. In addition we have calculated for 8 hours per day at minimum wage for the two of us as well as a small profit margin (which means we will make about £1000 per tour) . Sadly I also have to charge VAT. We will be away from home, living out of our vehicle for 59 days and working solidly, with clients, for 35 of those. Another 10 will be spent travelling to and from the country. We estimate that we will cover around 7000 miles in that time. We also have to consider contingencies, safety equipment, vehicle maintenance, insurance, etc. etc.

Adding all that up does make it expensive, I agree. However, compared to other Iceland trips, I believe we are competitive on price and offer a far more 'immersive' experience than the hotel based 'hub and spoke' type tours. We also offer photo opportunities for virtually 24 hours each day, if you can do without sleep:). To simply rent a vehicle and do it yourself will cost you around £1200, but you won't be insured for any water crossings and you will have to carry your own camping equipment (on the plane), buy food and fuel and do all the research yourself. Of course that's perfectly 'doable' and many do. What we offer is convenience. Maybe, the price for us to provide that is too high. Only time will tell.

In the end though if it is worth the money then I should be able to fill the 10 seats. If not then it won't go ahead.

As I stated in the opening post I won't ask for any money until we have enough seats filled to cover the cost of the trip and I hope that goes some way towards explaining the cost, even if it doesn't make it any more palatable:(.

Back