joint bank accounts

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
My partner & I decided it is time we opened a joint bank account for which we can both transfer funds from our own bank accounts so that the new bank account can be used to pay our bills, rent, council tax etc.
We both have our own HSBC accounts which we want to keep as they are.
Anybody got any suggestions on which banks/accounts would be best suited for this kind of arrangement?

Santander are doing there 123 account which may save you money, although hsbc would be the easiest you probably could do it instantly online being customers already.

Any account at any bank really.

I have my own halifax, nationwide and barclays accounts for savings and general spending/bills.
My wife has her own Halifax, nationwide and natwest accounts for the same.

We have joint nationwide and halifax accounts for joint bills, mortgage and savings.

Every week we both pay in a certain amount to the joint bills and savings accounts.

Just make sure you both have decent credit ratings. Getting a joint account means you are financially linked and if one of you has a poor rating, it could have a detrimental impact on the other's credit rating.

Easiest would be a joint HSBC as they can prove ID with your existing acounts.

Heather

My wife and I were in the same position. As more of the bills were in her name on her account we put my name on that existing account and I got my pay and bills transfered to that account.

I'd just had my card cloned on my account so were happy to do it sooner rather than later!

The best thing is we never argue about who pays now!

Husband and I both have our own HSBC current & savings accounts, then joint HSBC current & savings. Keeps things simple and moving money around using internet banking is very easy.

For me, having a joint account with a different bank is just as easy - transferring money about is still almost instant and if one bank has any issues (like Ulster Bank did last year when its systems went down) we can still get money.

Some of the banks are currently offering incentives for new customers too - iirc Halifax is offering £100 for a new customer opening a current account.

First Direct also worth a look as they are part of HSBC so still benefit from instant transfers. Our personal accounts with FD and business with HSBC which works well.

i think the only bank not to do instant transfers is santander?

Halifax's internet banking transfers to other banks or other peoples accounts are no longer instant as such. They now telephone you for confirmation. This is a right pain as I can no longer do such transfers from work.

We have been with Nationwide for the past ten years, and have used their internet banking without any problems. Their instant transfer/payment service is easy to use, and their screens simple to navigate. Their credit cards are usually the cheapest (or one of the cheapest) to use abroad.

my wife and i have opened a Halifax joint account for the same reasons, we put in £1300 a month into it to cover bills etc and Halifax give us £5 a month for doing so....

Actual requirements as of Feb are
minimum deposit £750
minimum 2 x direct debits
do this and they give you £5 every month, dont and you just get nowt.
Also they have an offer on at the mo of £100 cash for transfering to them

Back