Wild Joyful Bathing

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

E2238%201Dppp.jpg

E2243%201Dppp.jpg

E2244%201Dppp.jpg

E2246%201Dppp.jpg

Last edited:
The open bill in 1, 3 & 4 give the impression of joy very well ... I always have to smile when I see Greylags turn upside-down when bathing. :D

I always have to smile when I see Greylags turn upside-down when bathing. :D

Yes, Swans do the same… all the birds for that matter
but when the Swans are bathing like this, they splash
in a more spectacular way.

I know you won't agree Daniel, but they look so much better with the shadows lifted to me, ;) :)

E2238 1Dppp.jpg

They do look better to me with the shadows lifted, as per Phil's edit.

But Daniel's bird shots are always underexposed, presumably so as to not blow any whites, Daniel?

Certainly seems to be having fun, I would be splashing about like that! :)

Daniel's bird shots are always underexposed, presumably so as to not blow any whites
Always?
Daniel's bird shots are always underexposed, presumably so as to not blow any whites
Underexposed… in digital photography?
That statement suggests that I totally ignore the
histogram, and /or use uncontrolled camera set-
things. Really?
Daniel's bird shots are always underexposed, presumably so as to not blow any whites, Daniel?
Not presumably but most certainly.

You bet, nothing would kill my working position
easier and faster than blown highlights.

Thanks for your comment.:cool:

Last edited:
I think some people 'lift shadows' too much and in this case think somewhere between Phil's edit and the original would be better, although the mid tones might then suffer ;)

I think some people 'lift shadows' too much and in this case think somewhere between Phil's edit and the original would be better, although the mid tones might then suffer ;)

Hiya Nick, it was more an edit for the sake of devilment if I'm being honest, I knew Daniel wouldn't appreciate it, all i did was just lift the shadows to the point the whites still held detail :) .......as Daniel always points out, more could be achieved with the raw file!

@Kodiak Qc Daniel, as I said above, more a bit of devilment, but I do have to wonder why a lot of your shots do 'appear' too dark or under-exposed?

Its obvious your a knowledgeable chap. I have no idea of the weather conditions on the day but I'm sure the water wasn't as dark as that, neither the swans. I'm sure the shots could be brighter and still hold all detail in the whites with water the right shade, to reflect conditions on the day.

I'm not looking to argue, so I hope this comes across as a genuine enquiry, I just don't see how the shot could be a true representation of the conditions on the day.

The only other thing I can think, are you going for artistic merit? Nothing wrong if you are, but for me, wildlife shots should look like, or as close to, they did on the day the shot was taken.

I will admit, I do find it hard to comment/crit most of your shots as they all either look too dark, or as Wez said, a little under exposed, sorry :)

Super set Daniel and pleasing to the eye...:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: In my opinion for what its worth......your rendition has a quality to it and requires no edit:)

Super set Daniel and pleasing to the eye...:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: In my opinion for what its worth......your rendition has a quality to it and requires no edit:)

Hiya Charlie, hope ya well :)

Your reply does confuse me though :confused:

Do you like the artist style of editing or you think that the editing is a good representation of conditions on the day?

Hiya Charlie, hope ya well :)

Your reply does confuse me though :confused:

Do you like the artist style of editing or you think that the editing is a good representation of conditions on the day?

Hi Phil still soldiering on ;)..... I just like Daniel's renditions period.:)
Hope you and your good lady are keeping well....did you manage to find a lens for her....... It would be nice to see you again so if you are down my way anytime soon drop me a message and I'll put the Kettle on.(y):)

wezza13
Phil-D

I think I said that before somewhere on some thread:

"I am not a birder!" I have no more consideration
for a bird than a worm, a rat, a snake, any beetle,
a dragonfly, an otter, a fox, a horse, a wabbit…

see my drift?

To me, this is all Mother Nature and there is beauty just
about everywhere.

I am just a photographer with a great passion for "mise
en scènce" both in studio and in Mother Nature's theatre!

The description, documentation of species is something
that is the passion of others like gardenersasiistant ,
Paul Iddon, Callophrys, Dale and so many others that
devote lots of time, energy and technique to show a world
of the smaller scale. Often, and to my greatest pleasure,
many will introduce elements of theatre lighting to their
takes as to get natural "mises en scene" of their capture.

At a larger scale, birders, "wildlifers", street hunters and
so many others are describing, as you say you do Phil,
their subjects in "a true representation of the conditions
on the day".

Many others will see the theatre in given scenes or will
introduce it beautifully and tastefully.
Steele, Nick Owen,
Neil Burnell (to name but a few) are systematically looking
to capture and render reality with a delicious sense for poetry
and a dramatic taste that transcends the mere representation
of reality and the "true conditions on the day." Call it impres-
sionism if you want… it's very ok with me.

My take and position on this is everything that is beauty.

Between strict documentations and free inspirations — both
through art forms of photography or imagery— there are in-
finite levels of artistic intents, technical skills… and what not.

Vive la différence!
… and the good living I make with my pictures.

May I dare illustrate…

Compopp.jpg

Are these too dark?
Comments? Opinions?

Last edited:
Hi Phil still soldiering on ;)..... I just like Daniel's renditions period.:)
Hope you and your good lady are keeping well....did you manage to find a lens for her....... It would be nice to see you again so if you are down my way anytime soon drop me a message and I'll put the Kettle on.(y):)

All good here thanks Charlie :)......and yes, she ended buying a new Sigma 150-600 c, imho, value for money, they have to be one of the best buys in today's market (y) Will do, would be good to see you again too, cheers

@Kodiak Qc

So the simple answer is , you edit to be artistic,.......... would have saved me a lot of reading and you typing ;) :D......and if you've posted that before I've not read it :)

and the good living I make with my pictures.

That still doesn't mean they look too dark for my taste and after all this is a critique forum, but if people are prepared to buy them, good on you (y)

Last edited:
you edit to be artistic

No, I don't… as I describe myself simply as
photographer and not imager… and Mother
Nature does that very well. I'll give the client
what he wants… as long as I am still proud
to sign it.
That still doesn't mean they look too dark for my taste
So you mean the pictures are not too dark but
they are to your taste! As said in my signature:
—"If personal taste is involved, discussion is pointless."

…but that doesn't mean futile! :cool:

too dark for my taste

I was referring to the fact, I would not buy them, not the technical aspect ;)

You have a good following that like your style and plenty of clients willing to buy, that's all that matters.................................but I do have to wonder why you offer them up for critique on here! :)

I do have to wonder why you offer them up for critique on here!

1. There are some members who like to see them
  2. I do not know that one can post in this section without critique
  3. I don't mind the critique… I was given some very good tips by
    beginners who shared most creative ideas
  4. Even my edit says YES!

Hiya Nick, it was more an edit for the sake of devilment if I'm being honest, I knew Daniel wouldn't appreciate it, all i did was just lift the shadows to the point the whites still held detail :) .......as Daniel always points out, more could be achieved with the raw file!
I fully appreciate that and it wasn't meant as a dig ;)

I got some joyful bathing too at the weekend although it doesn't seem that the geese smile down here, lol

GSC_4159 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Back