Just bought a lens from eBay that has fungus

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys just bought a lens of eBay (Minolta 50mm 1.7) I opened the box and guess what fungus in the lens what can I do? Just ask for a refund I guess.

IMG_1487778317.238302.jpgIMG_1487778329.908475.jpg

Seems a sensible idea - send a message to the seller along with your photos - and await his or her response.

I doubt it will affect images much, but the best thing to do is send it back for a refund for being not as described. Will also educate the seller what to look out for.

Might be easy enough to clean if you could get enough of a partial refund to be worth the while.

Just ask for a refund I guess.

Absolutely!

…as it may have damage the glass and, regardless what ever
price was paid, that was possibly not in the description.

Thanks everybody I will message the seller with my pictures see what he says. The description said it was in good condition. I guess it would be without the fungus.

The fungus is on the inside of the glass so would require taking the lens apart. Shame really was a nice buy for £46.50 inc postage.

Will update once I hear back

Even if the seller refuses the refund ebay will find in your favour 99.9% of the time anyway. And keep it away from your other lenses just in case.

Yeah I will wait and see what they say eBay will have wanted me to contact them first anyway. But I know my money is safe eBay will find in my favour because the item isn't as described and I can easily provide photos.

I gave the lens a quick go in my camera seems fine but if the fungus can spread I don't want it in my camera bag at all

give the seller a chance before complaining, mistakes can happen.

Right, give the seller a chance before complaining.
Wrong, such mistakes should not happen.

Same happened to me with a Helios lens on eBay described as excellent full of fungus. Emailed seller and got full refund and postage returned.

Back