Just broken my 18-105VR - What to do and what to get?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Aaarrrggghhh. Just pulled my camera bag to me and didnt notice I had left it undone, camera fell out and lens came away. Luckily no damage to camera, but my kit lens has broke - 2 of the 3 plastic sticky out bits (technical name) which attach the lens to body/cap have come off. It seems quite a neat break and am tempted to superglue on, but worried about the impact that would have, can just see repeated bouts of taking lens on and off leading to lens falling off!!

Any ideas what to do, and any ideas what to get as a possible replacement?

Have a nifty fifty and 70-300VR, so need something 17ish through to 55/70/100 ish.

Do I get the same again at around £200, useful lens I have to admit and used much of the length, or Nikon 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 G AF-S DX Lens which seems to be £100 more despite not having VR???, or the 17-50 Tamron 2.8?

Would like to keep as close to £300 as possible. Mostly used on my son (1 year old) indoor and out, as well as general photography.

the Nikon 18-70mm is a great bit of glass, a true gem of a kit lens. I love mine and it does the job admirably for DPS magazine work that I shoot. Maybe look for something faster like a 28-70mm f/2.8. maybe a used Sigma? Don't know if this will come in at the right price but it's worth a look.

I'm not quite clear what the problem is, but given that a Nikon repair will be probably more than the cost of the lens, you could try the Superglue.

The 18-70 DX is a great performaner, not sure how it compares to the 18-105 VR, but my own sample has "beaten" 3 samples of the 16-85 VR FWIT wide open @ 70mm.

Any reason why the 18-70 beats that - better quality glass??

The problem is (I am so annoyed with myself!) :bang:, if you look at where the metal electrical connectors are which connect the lens to the body, just below there is a ridge of plasticarbout 2 cm long and curved, with another 2 further around. When you turn the lens onto the body it stays together. I guess if you imagaine a jam jar and lid, imagine most of the ribbed glass bits at the top of the jar were not there, the lid would not stay on!

Cant work out if it is god paying be back for getting a 70-300vr yesterday and not telling the wife, or god telling me to ditch the d90 and get a d700!;)

Any reason why the 18-70 beats that - better quality glass??

Dunno, mine is one of the last ones made with a 10 year "recycling" logo, and a 41xxxx serial number. I guess its just a good one :)

Puddleduck, same here on the serial number etc.

Cambsno, I opted for the 18-70mm over any of the other kit lenses simply because of the A) good reports, B) good build quality, C) faster apertures, and D) fact it has a metal mount, which didn't appear on the 18-105mm or the 18-135mm.

Can you remove the lens 'base' as it were, like you can on most canon and olympus lenses? The canon 28mm EF and Olympus 14-45mm that I've taken apart just needed a few screws to be taken out to remove the part that you describe that you've broken. It might be worth buying a scrap lens to try the one from that...

If you like taking indoor pictures you could be better off getting the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. The 'missing' mm between that and your 70-300mm are not that significant IMHO.

EDIT: If you go 'used' the Nikon 18-70mm can be picked up for around £110!

Never tried the 18-70 but always wanted to

the 18-135 is a nice kit lens, its one I had a while back before going 17-55 (again a cracking lens but pricey

The Tamron 17-50 is a great lens IMO and is in the same league as the Nikon 17-55 (apart from build)

incedentally I have one for sale in the for sale section

How about the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro? Worth looking into...Won't match the 2.8 Tamron but against the 18-70 Nikkor its a viable alternative....

Methinks the tamron or the nikon 18-70 is a good bet, will drop my lens into campkins and see if worth repairing anyway.

If you like taking indoor pictures you could be better off getting the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. The 'missing' mm between that and your 70-300mm are not that significant IMHO.

EDIT: If you go 'used' the Nikon 18-70mm can be picked up for around £110!
Less than that. Mine went for £100 on eBay a couple of months back and I felt I did well on it.

This happened to a mate of mine just the other day and exactly the same lens, he took it back to jessops where he is getting it mended under the warranty:D

This happened to a mate of mine just the other day and exactly the same lens, he took it back to jessops where he is getting it mended under the warranty:D

even better!
dont they offer a replacment?

Sigma 17-70 - one is available on the forums at the moment. SUPERB lens and easily a rival to, if not better than, the Nikkor 18-70 and faster to boot!

Cheers,
James

even better!
dont they offer a replacment?

well they didnt with my mate as that is what he was hoping for but they just put it through as an emergency repair and told him 5 to 7 days:D so we will see

Sigma 17-70 - one is available on the forums at the moment. SUPERB lens and easily a rival to, if not better than, the Nikkor 18-70 and faster to boot!

Cheers,
James

If your talking about richie's one I'm grabbing that one :woot:

Back