Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
This must be the best macro shot I have ever seen..:eek:

Linky here

that is a fantastic shot, very detailed

very cool....

That bluebottle must have been superglued down :thinking: Nevertheless, cracking shot.

regards

CT said:
Focus stacked image! ;)

Can you give me a detailed view on what focus stacked really means Cedric and how you go about it..:thinking:

Well Tim, you know how limited depth of field is at macro distances. Focus stacking is a way of 'increasing' depth of field. The camera has to be on a tripod, and your bug (if your subject is a critter) has to be keeping perfectly still. You then take a number of exposures, shifting the focus point slightly with each shot, so as much of the critter is in focus in the combined images as possible.

The images are then 'stacked' -pasted as layers one over the other and combined to give the appearance of greater depth of field. Obviously some PS manipulation is required to achieve the final effect. I 've never done it, but there would be several ways to tackle the editing I would think. :)

Great reply CT thanks..:)

I would like to see you tackle this when you get the time with that 180mm.;)

The results are superb from this method..

I will get into this one day..:LOL:

The thing is Tim that digital has changed the game for all of us, and things like this would have been well nigh impossible. I've seen this done with landscapes for incredible DOF from infinity to a few inches from the lens. (I can see Ken's eyes lighting up already :D) Looks a bit surreal but very cool all the same.

CT said:
The thing is Tim that digital has changed the game for all of us, and things like this would have been well nigh impossible. I've seen this done with landscapes for incredible DOF from infinity to a few inches from the lens. (I can see Ken's eyes lighting up already :D) Looks a bit surreal but very cool all the same.

Mmmmm. Interesting..:)

did you say you were adding that to the glossary cedric?

CT said:

I did a limited version of this for a photo competition a couple of years back. I was taking a shot of a field of hay bales , so I did one shot across the top of a bale in 'macro' mode then another from exactly the same position with the lens set to 'infinity'. Composited the two shots together and had an image with apparent continuous focus :)

mrgubby said:
I did a limited version of this for a photo competition a couple of years back. I was taking a shot of a field of hay bales , so I did one shot across the top of a bale in 'macro' mode then another from exactly the same position with the lens set to 'infinity'. Composited the two shots together and had an image with apparent continuous focus :)

Can we see it if you still have it?

minimeeze said:
Can we see it if you still have it?

Can't find the 'proper' entry , this is from my work-in-progress bin :)

scale.jpg

From what I remember the theme was 'Scale' & my 'proper' entry got 5th

aye i remember that one, not bad at all!

It's a brilliant photo, god knows how he got the fly to sit still for long enough though :LOL:

Mikey46 said:
It's a brilliant photo, god knows how he got the fly to sit still for long enough though :LOL:

superglue?

Mikey46 said:

Catch a fly , put it in a tupperware box , put in fridge for a couple of hours.

Result

One sleepy cold fly that poses for you.

Ps . works with kids as well

pps . that was a joke :bonk:

LOL Flies will sometimes sit still for ages, particularly when they're sunning themselves I've noticed.

Image stacking has several uses - astronomers have long used the technique to reduce noise in long exposures. Anyway I've added items in the glossary under Focus Stacking and Image Stacking.

Back