Just got a D60 need some advice

Name
chris
Edit My Images
No
I have just got a D60 with the standard lens, I am off to silverstone for the F1 next weekend, will the lens i have be good enough or is it best to get a new lens. Be gentle with me as really new to this and some of the terms go right over my head :)

Cheers

Chris

if the standard lens is the 18-55 then no, not for track shots anyway, in the paddocks will be fine though. i use a 300mm and find that ok, would always be nice to have a bit more length though lol

What sort of price should i be looking at and any particular brand

What sort of price should i be looking at and any particular brand

Once people have replied with varying prices for lenses, and they will vary massiveley, then set yourself a maximum budget and get the best lens you can afford....

Lens is the most important piece of kit so I think most people would always advise getting the best you can afford... but as has already been said if it's the 55mm lens you are going to need some more, I did donning ton park with 200mm and I was pushing it there and really needed more than that

I'd say 70-300 VR. About £300 used, overpriced new though.

Can't help you with Nikon lenses directly (I'm Canon), but I use a 70-200 and 70-300 lens when I goto race meetings - I've not been to Silverstone for a very long time, but I do hear you can be far away from the track, so would probably go for the 300mm reach.

I hope the weather keeps up an you have a great day (y)

Can't help you with Nikon lenses directly (I'm Canon), but I use a 70-200 and 70-300 lens when I goto race meetings - I've not been to Silverstone for a very long time, but I do hear you can be far away from the track, so would probably go for the 300mm reach.

I hope the weather keeps up an you have a great day (y)

Thanx hope the weathr holds out.

Is this lens any good SIGMA 70-300mm DG MOTORIZED Lens for Nikon D40 D40x D60 its on flea bay but don't know anything about cameras and lenses

your D60 needs lenses with an internal motor. Make sure any lens you buy has one, or it won't focus automatically on the camera.

If in doubt, look for AF-S [for Nikon lenses] or HSM [for Sigma lenses] in the specifications.

Some lenses have motors that don't use these letters, but if you're not absolutely able to guarantee what you're buying, don't buy. Just because an eBay seller writes 'for D40/D60' doesn't mean it's fully compatible.

Thanx hope the weathr holds out.

Is this lens any good SIGMA 70-300mm DG MOTORIZED Lens for Nikon D40 D40x D60 its on flea bay but don't know anything about cameras and lenses

this is the lens i was considering but really struggling to get reviews on it, some say it is slow to autofocus and not to good quality at the top focal range, the macro function is a waste of time ect ect

i understand its a budget lens but would like a few opinions on this lens from those who may use it on here,
all i would like it for it for taking shots of the dogs in the fields so i am not always in their faces with the D60 kit lens, I would like to get shots of them running at liberty, so i am not looking to spend a huge amount as i am not serious about photography, altough i would like to get nice sharp shots, its purely for my own pleasure and if friends and family enjoy the shots thats a bonus :)
anyone with experiance of this lens would be great if you could share your opinion on it.

Silverstone is notoriously bad for photography.
Where are you sitting?
First one I've missed for 4 years, totally gutted.
It's a fantastic day out, don't be disappointed if you don't get great pics, red arrows are good for photo's though (y)
Of course you may get some good shots and that should be considered a bonus!

Silverstone is notoriously bad for photography.
Where are you sitting?
First one I've missed for 4 years, totally gutted.
It's a fantastic day out, don't be disappointed if you don't get great pics, red arrows are good for photo's though (y)
Of course you may get some good shots and that should be considered a bonus!

I have a 3 day ticket so grandstands on Friday and wherever i can get on Saturday and Sunday, went last year to the Renault event that was on there got tickets to go again this year, have been looking at lots of 70-300 lenses around £300 seems to be the price for a second hand one

That'd be about right for a VR, the non VR is a lot cheaper but you obviously rely on better light.
If you know your way around the place then you'll have a good idea. My mate got some nice shots from Club last year. I've always been at Club Silverstone, Becketts grandstand, and it's a bit far for 300mm even.
I don't think I'd be very popular with anything bigger in the grandstand though!

Back