just ordered my first L -oooooh yeah

joescrivens

Suspended / Banned
Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks to work I've just ordered the 100mm 2.8 IS USM L off warehouse express, will be getting it tomorrow.

Looking forward to trying out some macro for the first time!

hopefully should be a good peice of kit. be intersting to see how one of these compare to the non L - enjoy.

hopefully should be a good peice of kit. be intersting to see how one of these compare to the non L - enjoy.

On a crop body, the egdes of EF lenses are never seen. L lenses excel in edge sharpness and minimal light falloff... but you won't actually see it anyway! I think L glass on crop bodies is over hyped.

yeah I wouldn't have bought the L if it had been my money. But if work are paying why not?

It's more the IS when using it as a portrait that I'm excited about over the non L

How come work are paying for it?

I love my L on my crop body; IQ is startlingly good, with centre sharpness being consistent throughout the zoom and aperture range. I think it compliments my 17-55 very well (y)

How come work are paying for it?

I love my L on my crop body; IQ is startlingly good. I think it compliments my 17-55 very well (y)

basically we need some images of some different rocks for schools and we need to be able to provide these images royalty free and allow unlimited numbers of teachers to re-use them.

You can imagine how expensive each image would be to buy it from a stock site given the license.

Therefore, I have access to all the rocks from the school I used to work at, I have access to a 7d. All I needed was a macro lens and some practice and for £800 I can take photos of a lot of rocks for a lot cheaper than we could buy them

basically we need some images of some different rocks for schools and we need to be able to provide these images royalty free and allow unlimited numbers of teachers to re-use them.

You can imagine how expensive each image would be to buy it from a stock site given the license.

Therefore, I have access to all the rocks from the school I used to work at, I have access to a 7d. All I needed was a macro lens and some practice and for £800 I can take photos of a lot of rocks for a lot cheaper than we could buy them

Nice one (y) But do you actually get to keep the lens, or is it property of your company? Or can you make it magically disappear once the rock session is completed? :cautious::LOL:

On a crop body, the egdes of EF lenses are never seen. L lenses excel in edge sharpness and minimal light falloff... but you won't actually see it anyway! I think L glass on crop bodies is over hyped.

I bought my first L towards the end of last year, i get my second next week but then i am upgrading to FF. Now because i bought the L and stuck it on my crop body doesnt mean it was a waste, more of an investment for long term goals. I agree whole heartedly that you cant fully utalise an L on a crop sensor but rather a lens that out resolves t he sensor than a sensor that out resolves a lens. (not that all non L do that)

I bought my first L towards the end of last year, i get my second next week but then i am upgrading to FF. Now because i bought the L and stuck it on my crop body doesnt mean it was a waste, more of an investment for long term goals. I agree whole heartedly that you cant fully utalise an L on a crop sensor but rather a lens that out resolves t he sensor than a sensor that out resolves a lens. (not that all non L do that)

:agree:

Edited to so that I can agree with you! :LOL:

What is it with chasing the 'L' with Canonites? Surely it depends on the individual lens and not whether it has an 'L' in the name or not?

I don't think anybody in this thread is chasing L lenses, Barn; I've got one simply because amazon were selling it for a silly price by accident back in february (silly as in for less than they can be had 2nd hand), and I was looking for a telephoto zoom and I thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity; if I don't want it I'm sure to get more for it than I bought it for, but that's not the point; the IQ and build quality are, though. I do know that it'll give me consistent high IQ and, due to its rugged build, will be around for a looong time. My philosophy with lenses is get the best tool for the job (relative to your budget, of course), whether it be Canon, Sigma, Tokina or Tamron; L lenses are nice, but I wouldn't aspire to have a kit that consists of them alone (y)

Nice one (y) But do you actually get to keep the lens, or is it property of your company? Or can you make it magically disappear once the rock session is completed? :cautious::LOL:

i thought the same, but they said if I expense it as an invoice then the lens will be my property, I couldn't believe my luck!

Edited to so that I can agree with you! :LOL:

What is it with chasing the 'L' with Canonites? Surely it depends on the individual lens and not whether it has an 'L' in the name or not?

it a status thing, not having an equivalent for nikon you wouldnt understand. :LOL: ha ha

The L glass is great on the full-frame bodies and mostly only good on the crop bodies. To try to claim they are somehow superior to competitors own-brand lenses (i.e. Nikon, Olympus, Pentax rather than Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) is nonsense. Some of the L glass is superb - some of it patently isn't. I often roll my eyes at the rather unimpressive wide primes and the horrible bokeh fringing seen on some of the L tele primes. Wide-open performance on the zooms leaves something to be desired also (I think the new version of the 70-200 is very good, but still not absolutely top-drawer). Well done, Canon marketing.

Andy

Quality counts. When I first started with this photography lark about 3 years ago I didn't think that it could possibly be worth the exaggerated prices that you pay for the top quality glass..........

Oh how wrong was I !!

Quality counts. When I first started with this photography lark about 3 years ago I didn't think that it could possibly be worth the exaggerated prices that you pay for the top quality glass..........

Oh how wrong was I !!

I don't think they are necessarily exaggerated - the margins on the top-end lenses are not that great. The higher precision and material costs (and higher QC failure rates) are reflected in the price. Non of the top-end glass makers are exactly raking it in!

I certainly don't regret the cost of my ZD super-high-grade glass - expensive, but amazing...

yep, but only cos you don't have the option! :razz::LOL::LOL:

Yep, we don't have the option to have wildlife-scaring white lenses that are bought by many people for the supposed kudos. Instead, we engage brain and actually choose a lens on how good it is. Funnily enough, it often results in a lens superior to L glass...

Yep, we don't have the option to have wildlife-scaring white lenses that are bought by many people for the supposed kudos. Instead, we engage brain and actually choose a lens on how good it is. Funnily enough, it often results in a lens superior to L glass...

hmm, last time I checked this L is black?

also you forgot the smiley at the end indicating you were also having harmless banter and don't actually think these comments are serious, one like this for example :razz::LOL:

Cannot agree with this. Sure, edge sharpness is a factor in why L is good but there is so much more. Overall sharpness is increasingly important on crop bodies with high resolution sensors and then there is the other things that L offers. build quality, autofocus, decent IS to name my reasons.

I don't agree with the idea that L lens on a crop is "over hyped" either. However, given the subject title placed emphasis on the L I think it's a reasonable thing to point out.

I'm planning on getting an L for my 450d but it's got nothing much to do with it having an L or not for me. It's basically because I like what it does and how good it looks. It's not just about light fall off and edges. Also as said above, it's an investment if you ever plan on going full frame.

the bad boy arrived this morning before 9am which was nice. Had a play already and I'm loving it, portraits and macro tack sharp.

I'm a gadget boy and I always fall for things like the L status, it gives me a feeling that I'm an elite owner in a special club - makes me feel all high and mighty! Sad I know but what can I say (y)(y)

I don't agree with the idea that L lens on a crop is "over hyped" either. However, given the subject title placed emphasis on the L I think it's a reasonable thing to point out.

I'm planning on getting an L for my 450d but it's got nothing much to do with it having an L or not for me. It's basically because I like what it does and how good it looks. It's not just about light fall off and edges. Also as said above, it's an investment if you ever plan on going full frame.

How good it looks?

Are you talking about the images it produces, or the look of the actual lens itself?

And yes, I can see Joe put an emphasis on the L-factor in the thread's title, but I kind of thought it was done tongue-in-cheek? Pity the thread has turned into another dull 'Canon-versus-everyone-else' thread; I was looking forward to Joe posting some pics taken with the lens, not a slagging match. There are too many people on both sides of the fence who go to great pains to point out how gear is just a means to an end, and it's all about the pictures at the end of the day, whilst simultaneously making a beeline for threads like this to get all wound up about other people's equipment choices! :bonk:

Back me up here Joe; post some rock pics! :LOL:

EDIT: OK, scratch that; have just read Joe's last post... there is a glimmer of truth in what you say Barney, but it doesn't relate to all (or exclusively just to) Canon users (y):LOL::LOL::LOL:

How good it looks?

Are you talking about the images it produces, or the look of the actual lens itself?

And yes, I can see Joe put an emphasis on the L-factor in the thread's title, but I kind of thought it was done tongue-in-cheek? Pity the thread has turned into another dull 'Canon-versus-everyone-else' thread; I was looking forward to Joe posting some pics taken with the lens, not a slagging match. There are too many people on both sides of the fence who go to great pains to point out how gear is just a means to an end, and it's all about the pictures at the end of the day, whilst simultaneously making a beeline for threads like this to get all wound up about other people's equipment choices! :bonk:

Back me up here Joe; post some rock pics! :LOL:

yeah exactly, it's totally tongue in cheek.

I am a gadget boy but I don't feel high and mighty really, I'm just fitting into the stereotype you guys are giving.

I'll try and post some rock pics that rock! Ha, although I got to learn how to take them first, never used a 1:1 macro before

yeah exactly, it's totally tongue in cheek.
I am a gadget boy but I don't feel high and mighty really, I'm just fitting into the stereotype you guys are giving.

I'll try and post some rock pics that rock! Ha, although I got to learn how to take them first, never used a 1:1 macro before

Phew Joe, glad you said that! :D

Well it sounds to me that you've fallen hook line and sinker for the 'L' trap. You're planning on getting an 'L' lens, not a specific lens. Not all lenses are created equally, and that goes for 'L' lenses as well as across the whole Canon range. To automatically presume that an 'L' lens would be the best lens for you is naive.

Buy the right lens for your needs. Whether it has an 'L' on it, a red ring round it, or even whether it has Canon on it is irrelevant.

Well it sounds to me that you've fallen hook line and sinker for the 'L' trap. You're planning on getting an 'L' lens, not a specific lens. Not all lenses are created equally, and that goes for 'L' lenses as well as across the whole Canon range. To automatically presume that an 'L' lens would be the best lens for you is naive.

Buy the right lens for your needs. Whether it has an 'L' on it, a red ring round it, or even whether it has Canon on it is irrelevant.

in this case the 100mm L is highly regarded as one of the best macro lenses for a canon. The lens performs superbly - the L just gives you bragging rights and compensates for my small genitals :LOL:

OK, scratch that; have just read Joe's last post... there is a glimmer of truth in what you say Barney, but it doesn't relate to all (or exclusively just to) Canon users (y):LOL::LOL::LOL:

You're right, there's gear snobbery everywhere, but it is the particular fascination with Canonites and the red 'L' that I don't get.

Nikon have lenses and bodies they consider 'professional' and you need to have a certain number of each to qualify for Nikon Professional Services, but I've never seen a post or thread shouting "Yay, I've just got my first Nikon 'pro' lens! Woohoo!"

in this case the 100mm L is highly regarded as one of the best macro lenses for a canon. The lens performs superbly - the L just gives you bragging rights and compensates for my small genitals :LOL:

The older non-L 100mm macro is also good - but a lot cheaper. I can't quite see the point of IS on macro, when this only compensates laterally, not in the longitudinal plane. This is very critical with macro because of the shallow DOF. DPReview, although they praised the lens's optical character, didn't see much benefit of the IS for macro.

So I think a more pertinent question would be whether the extra sharpness of the L is really worth the significant price hike.

You're right, there's gear snobbery everywhere, but it is the particular fascination with Canonites and the red 'L' that I don't get.

Nikon have lenses and bodies they consider 'professional' and you need to have a certain number of each to qualify for Nikon Professional Services, but I've never seen a post or thread shouting "Yay, I've just got my first Nikon 'pro' lens! Woohoo!"

(y) Tetigisti acu...

(y) Tetigisti acu...

Guys, why do you care so much? Don't let it get to you ;)

Back