Just replaced my light seals! (OM10)

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
My light seals kit arrived today and I've just finished replacing them.

Job was pretty much as I expected, not hard but just needing a large degree of patience and persiverance. The long strip seals were in much worse condition than I expected. It did look as if the previous owner had replaced the door seal - i did it anyway as the solvent from the body seals had leaked onto it - that was the hardest bit.

I left the mirror bumper alone -it is in good nick, so I figured it would be better to avoid messing with if it didn't need it.

A suprisingly time consuming job, that was was a bit messy - but was also very satisfying to complete.

Well - you know what comes next don'cha....

gerra film through it! ;)

I don't know - maybe it's just me, but I always feel a bit more of a "connection" with the older cameras that I've had to do a little work on before they work right. I'm not saying I like unreliable cameras, just good reliable ones that weren't before I fixed 'em :)

Took a little seaside walk this afternoon and shot a 24 exp colour film through it. Great fun and loved the way it forces me to slow down and think about composition more.

I have to agree - I've become quite attached to the little olympus - partly returning it to top condition, but also the way I've been able to build a little system around it - so far spent £30 on the whole setup including camera, seals, a T20 flash, manual adapter and vintage strap!

It's a good idea to check the seals as soon as you buy an old camera. If they're dodgy don't be tempted to keep firing the shutter, the foam has probably been left years and the mirror will spread the fallout everywhere, especially inside the shutter which can be ruined by the debris.
Best to change the seals as a matter of course. I agree on the pleasure of getting an old camera working again.

Back