Beginner Just saying hello

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Hello all. Just joined these forums. :)

I started my photography journey just over two months ago. The reason was simply because my mobile phone isn't capable of snapping pics of
birds in my garden that aren't a blurry mess, and what I wanted was photos that look the same as through my binoculars.

So I bought a used 5D Mkll on recommendation from a friend, and a couple of lenses and am starting to get photos close to my goal. But now that I have this gear I'm inspired to
photograph all sorts of things beyond my garden! I'm a member of another photo forum which is great, but I also wanted to join here since it's UK based and I'm in north london.

Look forward to meeting a few of you and being a sponge to any help that comes my way. :)

Welcome to TP Lee! Hope you enjoy your time here.

Thank you Ian! :)

Hi Toni, thanks for the welcome. I've looked at some photos on these forums, there's some amazing photographers here. I saw one of yours of a swan. Looks like you're in a boat low down to the waterline, probably on the Thames? Really great photo, I really like it.

Oh yeah, I'm finding out it's an expensive hobby and I'm already after a second camera!

Hi Toni, thanks for the welcome. I've looked at some photos on these forums, there's some amazing photographers here. I saw one of yours of a swan. Looks like you're in a boat low down to the waterline, probably on the Thames? Really great photo, I really like it.

Oh yeah, I'm finding out it's an expensive hobby and I'm already after a second camera!

You have a good memory - that was from the riverbank in Hyde park. :)

Buy new kit when the stuff you have doesn't do what you need.

You have a good memory - that was from the riverbank in Hyde park. :)

Buy new kit when the stuff you have doesn't do what you need.

You have a memorable username, so that helped! Ah, Hyde Park. :)

:welcome: .......................from South Lanarkshire

Buying used is a good option, but I'd buy from this forum or a reputable dealer. I'd avoid eBay, gumtree etc, except for cheap stuff like straps, bags etc.
Nearly all of my gear is used, camera, lenses (all bar one), bags.

Buying used is a good option, but I'd buy from this forum or a reputable dealer. I'd avoid eBay, et al...

so true - I bought two Nikon D300 from eBay - both faulty and returned
for roughly the same price i bought a mint D300 from LCE (London Camera Exchange) low shutter count and a 6months warranty.... (y)

Thank you guys for that advice. I'll avoid Ebay and Gumtree. I only bought a used Hoya step up ring from Ebay and it's fine. I bought my gear used online from mpb in brighton and I like that they show the shutter count for every camera they sell.

It's also good to know that I can buy from forum members.

What do you think about buying grey imports, is it ok or risky? One of the cameras I'm considering is being sold on a place called hdewcameras, brand new grey import, and it says with free 3 year warranty included.

Last edited:
What do you think about buying grey imports, is it ok or risky? One of the cameras I'm considering is being sold on a place called hdewcameras, brand new grey import, and it says with free 3 year warranty included.

Grey imports are highly contentious here. Usually cheaper because they come from a locality where taxation is lower/non-existant and/or purchased by the vendor at lower prices than are possible for UK dealers. They are usually shipped without declaring value & thus avoid VAT and import duty where relevant, hence the cost savings can be substantial through tax evasion.

To some they're a money-saving blessing, while to others it's like purchasing from the devil incarnate. If you buy for business then there's no VAT invoice to use.

I've bought a grey lens from E-Infinity. It came when they said it would, works well, had no problems. I'd prefer to buy from a UK dealer (i.e. not Amazon) if I can find one with competitive pricing - there are a few that sell new lenses on ebay, and when there's a 20% voucher etc like recently then it can be the best route if you don't mind the timing.

Welcome to the forum, I am a dedicated Bird photographer, any advice you need just ask :)

My Flickr account is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/184767280@N02/ May I suggest you get an account too ( if you don't already have one - somewhere to display images and post onto forums

enjoy the forum

Les :)

Grey imports are highly contentious here. Usually cheaper because they come from a locality where taxation is lower/non-existant and/or purchased by the vendor at lower prices than are possible for UK dealers. They are usually shipped without declaring value & thus avoid VAT and import duty where relevant, hence the cost savings can be substantial through tax evasion.

To some they're a money-saving blessing, while to others it's like purchasing from the devil incarnate. If you buy for business then there's no VAT invoice to use.

I've bought a grey lens from E-Infinity. It came when they said it would, works well, had no problems. I'd prefer to buy from a UK dealer (i.e. not Amazon) if I can find one with competitive pricing - there are a few that sell new lenses on ebay, and when there's a 20% voucher etc like recently then it can be the best route if you don't mind the timing.

Thanks Toni. So it's kind of black market stuff. I can see why it would be contentious! A grey import I'd seen with warranty was something like £635, and on mpb, a used one with low shutter count is £669. It's tempting to buy brand new, but yeah, supporting retailers like mpb I think is important.

Welcome to the forum, I am a dedicated Bird photographer, any advice you need just ask :)

My Flickr account is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/184767280@N02/ May I suggest you get an account too ( if you don't already have one - somewhere to display images and post onto forums

enjoy the forum

Les :)

Hello Les, thanks and nice to meet you! :) Yeah, I have a flickr account.

I've seen some of your photos, they're excellent! I saw your robin photo in the rain, really really nice. I posted my first photo thread yesterday, also of a robin in my garden. Actually took it through my window but didn't come out too bad. If you'd like to look and post some critique I'd be grateful. It's here:

Welcome Merlin. I'm sort of new! I've been here before but under a different name. I wanted my full name here, so had to open up a new account. You will love it here.

Probably worth contacting the admins here to tell them about this. Second accounts are usually frowned on and name changes are now possible (might not have been when you were a Badger!)

Hi Tim and Smadga, thanks for the welcome! I've been here about a week or so and am finding everyone very helpful. Learnt a lot already. :)

Hello all. Just joined these forums. :)

I started my photography journey just over two months ago. The reason was simply because my mobile phone isn't capable of snapping pics of
birds in my garden that aren't a blurry mess, and what I wanted was photos that look the same as through my binoculars.

So I bought a used 5D Mkll on recommendation from a friend, and a couple of lenses and am starting to get photos close to my goal. But now that I have this gear I'm inspired to
photograph all sorts of things beyond my garden! I'm a member of another photo forum which is great, but I also wanted to join here since it's UK based and I'm in north london.

Look forward to meeting a few of you and being a sponge to any help that comes my way. :)
You've got a brilliant equipment to start, could I know where could you buy a mark II second hand? Thanks!! Welcome! Myself new here today.

You've got a brilliant equipment to start, could I know where could you buy a mark II second hand? Thanks!! Welcome! Myself new here today.

HI Angel. :) I got my gear from mpb.com. Great prices and you can see the shutter count listed for every camera.

Back