just stumbled across this one!

Gary

TPer Emeritus
Name
See above
Edit My Images
No
i was looking through the 'most popular photos' section of my coppermine gallery and i found this one way up there with some of my better photos

ar11566.jpg

i've got to admit i never really paid much attention to it when i took the photo. But looking at it i really like it.

what do you guys think (honest opinions, not any 'nice photo' stuff :) )

I like the first shot because it's a bit different - seeming to be into the light. The 2nd shot though is an absolute stunner! (y)

We are always honest here ... don't know what you mean ... :naughty:

Anyway ... I have to say the photograph could be of two cars parked on the track ... whilst I know they are racing there is no sense of that or their speed from the photograph ... so although they are 'nice' and sharp as a race car pic it fails ... for me anyway ... :shrug: ... the sun's angle also doesn't help as the glare from it off the cars is quite a distraction ... and the background could do with being oof as it also distracts from the subject matter ... all imho ... of course ... ;)

The second pic is, however ... really nice ... :D

:p

The second one is a fantastic shot, it feels dangerous (y) but I'm afraid the first doesn't work for me. The lighting isn't nice and the sun reflecting off the windscreen of the blue car ruins the shot. Just my opinion :shrug:

thanks guys for what must be the fastest replies in history :)

i agree that the first photo has some faults, noteably the background.
the main thing i liked about the photo was the oil on the saleens windscreen

the plan was to get some DOF and blur out the marshall, which is why its a high shutter speed and the cars looked stopped.. with all the light shining into the lens i could only use a high shutter speed with the large aperture. but it was lucky really, as the camera was then setup nicely for the radical trying to kill me :)
this is one of the other shots in that sequence.. i probably like this one better
(its one frame previous to the above shot)

ar11575.jpg

2nd one is better than the 1st but could do with a bit of unsharp mask

as soon as those headlights go on, switch to manual mode. meter off the track and the shot will be different to shooting shutter priority. looks to me as if the sun reflecting off the screen has affected the metering, it's a sunny day but looks a little dark.

but hey, what the hell do I know? :D

looks to me as if the sun reflecting off the screen has affected the metering, it's a sunny day but looks a little dark.

which is perfectly demonstrated in image number three :) but the camera has metered for the headlights

Of the three ... second is a clear winner ... it has speed, menace and thrills all in one ... a great picture Xynamic ... (y)

Right place, right time and right settings ... ;)

:p

tricky one. metering off the track (or grass) is a nice way of getting the exposure near as damn it spot on. even if you'd gone Manual you probably would have still got the reflection of the sun on the screen blown out, even if the car was exposed perfectly.

probably underexpose by 2/3 or even a stop and bring it up in Post Processing.

or shoot from somewhere else? LOL

haha

the thing is, it's all very easy to sit here and analyse it down to the last minute detail but actually doing it in the field is a different matter.

yup its def a bit under exposed in areas, but then the sun reflection would have been blown. any tips on how to fix that? (with the camera i mean, not photoshop)

Why do you shun Photoshop for what is a very minor adjustment. :thinking:
I entirely agree with your comments in another thread about misuse of photoshop for spinny wheels etc., but all I've done is made a very quick gamma adjustment to your shot which is no different to varying the exposure at the printing stage with film. :shrug:

ar11575.jpg

you misunderstood me a bit there.. i just meant that i wanted to know how to fix the problem for next time. (apples latest update to 'aperture' has a rather brilliant feature for brightening up low lights, and dulling down highlights)

LOL Fair does but in all honesty with these cars doing the speed they do and the changing light conditions all the time, then to get it dead right 'in camera' is virtually impossible and not even really desirable given the latitude which RAW processing gives us these days. You should be more than happy with that shot - it's a belter. :)

Back