Just Thinking Out Loud

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
I know this is a dangerous thing but I've been thinking....:confused:

As I now use almost exclusively medium and large format cameras I thought it might be time to get rid of the F100 and it's only lens (Nikon 24-85mm f2.8-4). I have said in the past that it is the camera I want to be buried with but, hey, things change. Its a big old beast and it gets used very rarely so its better if someone who will use it has it.
The point is that I would still like to have a 35mm option, I do have a nice Voigtlander Vitomatic II which is a lovely camera and I use it reasonably regularly but I would like something a bit more high class. I love Voigtlanders but I'm not sure that I want to spent hundreds on an R3a or similar as it is still all manual and I do fancy something small, neat, top class and which gives me a full auto option. Preferably a rangefinder as they suit me.
So, suggestions ladies and gentlemen, budget... £500-600 maximum.

Thanking you

Last edited:
First thought...

Contax G?

Thanks Simon, very definitely in the running. I had a fondle of one in Real Cameras and its a chunky beast but exceptionally well made. I'd like someone who has used one to give me some gen, some of the reviews (especially the G1) are a little worrying concerning the focus accuracy.

Second thought...

And I'm about to utter burnable blasphemies.

I came to very much the same conclusion as you. The camera you describe, and the one that works for me, is the Fuji X100s.

You have a fuji and some lenses, so you could pick up a dinky little XE1 or XE2.

My film 35mm needs are catered for by the Olmpus XA and XA2.

Witch....:D

I've got the X-T1, that's enough digital for me.

I've used a Contax G1 before and found the autofocus a little bit leisurely and the manual focus is more of a guesstimate as there's no visual confirmation other than a sliding distance scale at the bottom of the Vf. The lenses are awesome though, having used them on my Sony Nex5.

I'm guessing you mean film 35mm really but how about an Epson RD-1? @ped always used to show excellent results from his and it's essentially a Bessa R with a digital sensor.

I've used a Contax G1 before and found the autofocus a little bit leisurely and the manual focus is more of a guesstimate as there's no visual confirmation other than a sliding distance scale at the bottom of the Vf. The lenses are awesome though, having used them on my Sony Nex5.

I'm guessing you mean film 35mm really but how about an Epson RD-1? @ped always used to show excellent results from his and it's essentially a Bessa R with a digital sensor.

Funnily enough I looked at an Epson in Real Cameras as well. Not sure its my sort of thing really and tbh I don't want another digital camera , the Fuji is plenty enough for me. ;)

Ok so your requirements are;

Rangefinder
Automatic exposure
Autofocus (possibly)
Small
35mm

I don't know of any autofocus 'true' rangefinders? The Contax G bodies are basically autofocus with a glass viewfinder that doesn't give you through the lens like an SLR nor any idea of the actual part of the image in focus. There are a million and one manual focus rangefinders around if you drop the AF requirements and a lot of them have built in metering so that gets you somewhere near the automatic requirements.

It doesn't fit any of the auto requirements but I'm strangely enjoying using the Fed 1G I picked up the other week. Completely manual and a bit of a pain in the ar5e to use really with the split range/viewfinders but it's strangely rewarding.

Get Steve to build you an APS Fuji X-Pro!!!

Ok so your requirements are;

Rangefinder
Automatic exposure
Autofocus (possibly)
Small
35mm

I don't know of any autofocus 'true' rangefinders? The Contax G bodies are basically autofocus with a glass viewfinder that doesn't give you through the lens like an SLR nor any idea of the actual part of the image in focus. There are a million and one manual focus rangefinders around if you drop the AF requirements and a lot of them have built in metering so that gets you somewhere near the automatic requirements.

It doesn't fit any of the auto requirements but I'm strangely enjoying using the Fed 1G I picked up the other week. Completely manual and a bit of a pain in the ar5e to use really with the split range/viewfinders but it's strangely rewarding.

Yeh, basically I want something to take out when I'm being lazy and just want to shoot a roll of film without thinking about it and that replaces the F100 and big old lens.
I can probably drop the rangefinder bit.

Mju2?

Edit - Alternatively, like Simon said above, the XA range gives some options. I've got an XA here waiting for a seal kit from John Goodman. The rangefinder is surprisingly clear for such a small window and the autoexposure metering seems to be spot on.

This page from Bellamy Hunt (JCH) might give some useful ideas;

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2015/04/jch-favourite-35mm-film-cameras/

Otherwise, check out Hamish Gill's 35MMC site for ideas;

http://www.35mmc.com/

Last edited:

Not really a fan of those little Olys a bit too fiddly.

Konica Hexar AF with f2 lens... looks to have almost always glowing reviews, within budget, small, sharp lens, autofocus but full manual controls when needed. Anyone used one?

I like the look of the Hexars too. The only limitation I can think of (other than it being impossible to find spare parts and electronics that can go wrong) is the 1/250th maximum shutter speed.

I like the look of the Hexars too. The only limitation I can think of (other than it being impossible to find spare parts and electronics that can go wrong) is the 1/250th maximum shutter speed.

Yes, just read that. Surprising given the comparative newness of the camera. My Vitomatic was made in 1958 and goes to 1/300th.

ah sorry I read your budget as £5000 ~ £6000:p

Note to self; Start wearing the reading glasses that have been prescribed for me ( preferably before I sign something that's gunna land me in the s##t:confused::D)

£5k-6k... blimey youll give the CMS a heart attack. :D

Konica Hexar AF with f2 lens... looks to have almost always glowing reviews, within budget, small, sharp lens, autofocus but full manual controls when needed. Anyone used one?

Yes, and they are brilliant. Almost completely silent, autofocus is fast and as accurate as anything else I've used, metering was always spot on. The fastest shutter speed of 1/250 is a non-issue with colour negative film. I bought mine because it was the closest thing to my X100S, which I enjoyed apart from all it's digital crap-ness.

Downsides?...not the smallest point and shoot, fixed lens, getting a bit expensive now. Still highly recommended.

Yes, and they are brilliant. Almost completely silent, autofocus is fast and as accurate as anything else I've used, metering was always spot on. The fastest shutter speed of 1/250 is a non-issue with colour negative film. I bought mine because it was the closest thing to my X100S, which I enjoyed apart from all it's digital crap-ness.

Downsides?...not the smallest point and shoot, fixed lens, getting a bit expensive now. Still highly recommended.

Now that's what I wanted to hear. Not too bothered about the size, compared to an F100 they are tiny, and the 1/250th shutter speed issue is not really an issue for me. I'm tempted. :)

Now that's what I wanted to hear. Not too bothered about the size, compared to an F100 they are tiny, and the 1/250th shutter speed issue is not really an issue for me. I'm tempted. :)

Meh, for £500, I'd go for a Bronica RF645 and say goodbye to 135 format once and for all. Is it really worth having a £500 camera system for a format that you admittedly don't even use much? Cutting out a format also means that you can consolidate film costs and concentrate on what you do shoot.

MF and LF for the win, I say. :)

I'm with RJ, if you're not using 35mm don't buy more cameras. Get a Mju or a XA if you need to have a 35mm camera handy.

Meh, for £500, I'd go for a Bronica RF645 and say goodbye to 135 format once and for all. Is it really worth having a £500 camera system for a format that you admittedly don't even use much? Cutting out a format also means that you can consolidate film costs and concentrate on what you do shoot.

MF and LF for the win, I say. :)
I'm with RJ, if you're not using 35mm don't buy more cameras. Get a Mju or a XA if you need to have a 35mm camera handy.

You make valid points, however I do still shoot 35mm regularly if not very often and being an elderly gentleman sometimes small and light is the way. Also, I want the best, or at least up there with the best. The Olys are good but I don't like the way they look, simply an aesthetic thing, the Konica is just cool looking. And I do have a large choice in MF/LF already.

Last edited:
There isn't much choice, its kinda half way between.
You might have to decide between a full blown RF, or a high end compact, give up your all manual if required rule and you're in to compact country
I had a GR1 for a while and liked it but going on your fiddly oly comment, maybe that's not the one.
I had a G1 for a while too, didn't get on with it, af in an rf box just didn't gel properly, I dunno why.
I quite fancy a Minolta TC-1, it has app priority so there's a little escape from all auto..:)
Tbh, your budget may be so high that if you are to spend it all, it limits your options to just a few cameras..

You make valid points, however I do still shoot 35mm regularly if not very often and being an elderly gentleman sometimes small and light is the way. Also, I want the best, or at least up there with the best. The Olys are good but I don't like the way they look, simply an aesthetic thing, the Konica is just cool looking. And I do have a large choice in MF/LF already.

The mju is very difficult to use in anything other than full auto.

This page on RFF has the Canonet QL17 tied with the Konica Hexar... This page has the Canonet slightly leading an Olympus 35RC, with the Yashica Electro 35 GSN not far behind. I enjoyed my Canonet, though at the time I found the focus tab fiddly; after playing with the Leica CL and Bessa R3A for half a year I think it would be fine...

All that said, a Bessa R3A and Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm should be roughly within budget, and really can't be beat! Usable by the CMS as well...

Contax T2 or TVS?

I've got some 80s Minolta with full AF and auto exposure. Not range finder though. It's reasonably small and being Minolta A mount there's a good choice of lenses for it. It's the first AF camera Minolta ever made.

How about something like that or is it too similar to the Nikon? Or just get yourself a dynax and have an easy life. That's the one I'm being buried with probably....the dynax with the 50mm doesn't feel that bulky for the first hour of use :)

Or for a cheap option then how about a late point and shoot compact type of thing? I wonder if Panasonic did one with Leica lens or Sony did one with Zeiss?

Last edited:
Andy,

I think you love the F100 as much as the R3a and therefore I am going to suggest something different for you that may be an answer.

I have picked up on the quote "Big old beast" and yes it is especially with your lens,coming in at 1330 gms and if you are using the MB-15 grip another 200 odd gms and this without batteries. So maybe up to 1650 gms. a very big 35mm weight to carry for a day of snapping.

I know as I have the exact combo.

For very little outlay,try this,I know as I also have the same combo. Nikon F80 plus the plastic fantastic Nikkor 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 D lens, no grip,this comes in at 779 gms about half the weight and you really do notice that.

You can obtain this combination boxed and in first class condition for around £60.00 and I would defy a non-professional to tell the difference in IQ. The performance between the bodies is quite similar and you will be very surprised by the performance of the Lens which is
why I always refer to this as the plastic fantastic.

Just a thought and low cost option that may work for you.

If you would like to try this and pay the postage I would gladly send you mine to try.(y)

Contax T2 or TVS?

T2 is definitely a contender the TVS we have had and I wasn't convinced.

I've got some 80s Minolta with full AF and auto exposure. Not range finder though. It's reasonably small and being Minolta A mount there's a good choice of lenses for it. It's the first AF camera Minolta ever made.

How about something like that or is it too similar to the Nikon? Or just get yourself a dynax and have an easy life. That's the one I'm being buried with probably....the dynax with the 50mm doesn't feel that bulky for the first hour of use :)

Or for a cheap option then how about a late point and shoot compact type of thing? I wonder if Panasonic did one with Leica lens or Sony did one with Zeiss?

Thanks Suz but I feel the need to move away from SLR type cameras. I really want something I can carry in a pocket and not have to worry about what lenses to carry.

Andy,

I think you love the F100 as much as the R3a and therefore I am going to suggest something different for you that may be an answer.

I have picked up on the quote "Big old beast" and yes it is especially with your lens,coming in at 1330 gms and if you are using the MB-15 grip another 200 odd gms and this without batteries. So maybe up to 1650 gms. a very big 35mm weight to carry for a day of snapping.

I know as I have the exact combo.

For very little outlay,try this,I know as I also have the same combo. Nikon F80 plus the plastic fantastic Nikkor 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 D lens, no grip,this comes in at 779 gms about half the weight and you really do notice that.

You can obtain this combination boxed and in first class condition for around £60.00 and I would defy a non-professional to tell the difference in IQ. The performance between the bodies is quite similar and you will be very surprised by the performance of the Lens which is
why I always refer to this as the plastic fantastic.

Just a thought and low cost option that may work for you.

If you would like to try this and pay the postage I would gladly send you mine to try.(y)

Thanks for your thoughts Richard and I agree that the combo you suggest is probably a fine replacement but as I say above I think I'm done with SLRs for the moment.
I know this is all a bit hippy and zen but some days I want to be complicated and shoot LF, some days I want to be old school and I'll take the Voigtlander Vitomatic, some days I come over all Rolleiflex, some days I feel a bit digital so I'll use the Fuji and some days I feel all autofocus and lazy so I'll use the "to be decided", there's no rhyme or reason to it :thinking::)

^^^this^^^ It's one of the few 35mm cameras I still want to own. I don't see a downside.

Nikon 28 or 35 Ti ?

I still agree, even with its' limitations, that the Hexar AF is the best bet. It's the one auto everything 35mm camera I'd like to try long term too and has a good combination of size/functionality/results. I'm not sure about the Nikon 28 or 35Ti as they just look like another compact to me?

I still agree, even with its' limitations, that the Hexar AF is the best bet. It's the one auto everything 35mm camera I'd like to try long term too and has a good combination of size/functionality/results. I'm not sure about the Nikon 28 or 35Ti as they just look like another compact to me?

Apparently the lens on the 35Ti is superb, just not sure about the strange analog display, looks cool but would it end up being annoying?
I'm still very much drawn to the Hexar, especially the leather covered one with the silver top, loks stunning.

Well if you want a light camera that can do nearly everything and can be bought for a tenner and under if not in a hurry..EOS 300 https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...handing-film-worst.633719/page-2#post-7538789 #42, #43 and #44
As mentioned everything complete with batteries weighs 500g but mine has only the 35mm-80 zoom..better would be the 28 -80, but have now put a roll of film in it and the lens is quite good.

Well if you want a light camera that can do nearly everything and can be bought for a tenner and under if not in a hurry..EOS 300 https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...handing-film-worst.633719/page-2#post-7538789 #42, #43 and #44
As mentioned everything complete with batteries weighs 500g but mine has only the 35mm-80 zoom..better would be the 28 -80, but have now put a roll of film in it and the lens is quite good.

"..but I feel the need to move away from SLR type cameras. I really want something I can carry in a pocket and not have to worry about what lenses to carry."

Even if it's a booty bargain, I think Andy's looking for something different :0)

"..but I feel the need to move away from SLR type cameras. I really want something I can carry in a pocket and not have to worry about what lenses to carry."

Even if it's a booty bargain, I think Andy's looking for something different :0)

Ah...Yashica T4 or T5 then, I have the T5 and although a Zeiss lens IMO it well over priced and other compacts are just as good unless you want to do pixel peeping with large crops to prove that the zeiss lens is better.

Ah...Yashica T4 or T5 then, I have the T5 and although a Zeiss lens IMO it well over priced and other compacts are just as good unless you want to do pixel peeping with large crops to prove that the zeiss lens is better.

Well Brian, I did look at the Yashicas (in fact my Mum had a T4) and I just don't like the style of them, big clunky looking things they are. I believe the lenses are excellent though.

Back