Just Thinking Out Loud

Well Brian, I did look at the Yashicas (in fact my Mum had a T4) and I just don't like the style of them, big clunky looking things they are. I believe the lenses are excellent though.

Dunno about the T4 but the T5 might make you feel at home as you can use the waist level viewfinder as well...but I don't like compacts either h'mm and RF cameras as well. Good luck with your choice.

Another contender, the Ricoh GR1 (or V or S). Anyone used one?

OK, I think I've now narrowed it down to 2 choices, the Nikon 35Ti and the Ricoh GRv.

After watching and reading many reviews I decided that the Konica Hexar had too many 'issues', fiddly controls, shonky menu, slow shutter speed. The Nikon is favourite I think, just need to find one at the right price.

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Andy

Yep, thats on my watch list.

Ok, well then.... After giving this a lot of thought I've changed my mind (such as it is). :banghead:

I've decided that if I am going to spend this sort of money then I might as well get the camera I really want and I think we all know what that is don't we :banana: Yes I'm going to get a Voigtlander Bessa R (or R2 if the price is right). If I want a camera that is fully automatic, small and light and gets good results I'll use my Fuji X-T1 but if I don't buy a Voigtlander then I will just spend the next few years cursing myself for not buying a Voigtlander.

So, another search begins. :D

Yes!!!! At last the man sees sense! (I must confess I had NO idea why the Nikon 35Ti might be interesting, just a featureless box with very little obvious control.)

Like your conclusion, I want my film experience to be hands on and my digital experience to be almost full-auto. My Pentax Z-1 is weirdly in between. Much more like a digital camera on the outside, with control wheels and little LCD screens and autofocus and autowind and stuff. It's nice to have a film camera that just kind of takes the picture I point it at, but it's not really satisfying (and it IS heavy). So that will probably go. I keep wondering about a Fooj (I have a X10); there was a T1 with the 18-135 in the refurb store this week that had me hesitating.

:whistle:
Ok, well then.... After giving this a lot of thought I've changed my mind (such as it is). :banghead:

I've decided that if I am going to spend this sort of money then I might as well get the camera I really want and I think we all know what that is don't we :banana: Yes I'm going to get a Voigtlander Bessa R (or R2 if the price is right). If I want a camera that is fully automatic, small and light and gets good results I'll use my Fuji X-T1 but if I don't buy a Voigtlander then I will just spend the next few years cursing myself for not buying a Voigtlander.

So, another search begins. :D
Can I interest you in an R3A or R4A, I have both available for a very reasonable price

Last edited:
i must admit i have a real urge for a bessa r3a
edit-- or possibly a 4a :D i really need to use the cameras ive got and stop lusting over new toys:(:p

Last edited:
i must admit i have a real urge for a bessa r3a
edit-- or possibly a 4a :D i really need to use the cameras ive got and stop lusting over new toys:(:p

Surely a Bessa would be an old toy not a new one?

:D

Do the Bessas have interchangeable lenses or are they fixed? They're quite dinky looking.

Do the Bessas have interchangeable lenses or are they fixed? They're quite dinky looking.

They are Leica M fit so there are many, many options for lenses, most of them very expensive but some of the Russian ones are pretty good and a fair price.

Oh. You lost me at expensive :) Think I'll stick with my over sized P & S :D

Oh. You lost me at expensive :) Think I'll stick with my over sized P & S :D

Yes, my original budget may be blown out of the water... :eek:

Budget? Smudge it! Just don't let Mrs Snap see the receipt... :whistle:

(The above does suppose that while you have a budget to stick to, exceeding the allowable spend won't mean you miss any more important payments.)

..by my calculation compared to a £5 MTL3 your shots should be about 100 times better :D

..by my calculation compared to a £5 MTL3 your shots should be about 100 times better :D

This may be correct Brian but you have to figure in the drag effect from my poor technique, lack of imagination and general muppetry which means the resulting images will be about the same. :D

I aim to please luv
ya don't get late and useless over night y'know, it takes hard work and dedication...:p

Too true, I've got it to a stage now where I don't even need to try. :D

Back