Juvenile Red Squirrel

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
Taken this morning in very dull overcast conditions.
Juvenile on top of a birch "prop" that usually has some food for GSW's. Never seen a squirrel sitting up there before.
Iso 800 1/30th f5.6. With 70-200+1.4

Closer.

Love the pose on the first one Charlie.

You got plenty of young about?

Love the pose on the first one Charlie.

You got plenty of young about?

Cheers. Yes we seem to as they have expanded their range a bit further again this year. The Pine / Larch wood is strewn with freshly eaten cones too, these last few weeks.
Looks like the TLC is working! Hope so anyway.

Great shots. Glad to here you have young reds around.
Overcast conditions are usually fine for shooting images like these with the clouds acting as a huge softbox.

Cheers(y)
When I said overcast though it was just plain dull flat light.:LOL: Rain came on too.

Cheers. Yes we seem to as they have expanded their range a bit further again this year. The Pine / Larch wood is strewn with freshly eaten cones too, these last few weeks.
Looks like the TLC is working! Hope so anyway.

Excellent,glad to see it is working Charlie.

Excellent,glad to see it is working Charlie.

The Roe Buck of last week seems to have "adopted" me to:nuts:

We quite often stand & look at each other. He seems quite unfazed by me.:thinking:
Not like Roe at all.:)

The Roe Buck of last week seems to have "adopted" me to:nuts:

We quite often stand & look at each other. He seems quite unfazed by me.:thinking:
Not like Roe at all.:)

Aye, they are nosy buggers, probably wondering what the light is shining off over there........:whistle:

I have sarted feeding them now Charlie, they are still skittish,but the food goes every week.The landowner has banned all dog walking through two of the woods that we are working on,his dad was not happy,but there you go,deer don`t like dogs so the dogs are not welcome.

Aye, they are nosy buggers, probably wondering what the light is shining off over there........:whistle:

I have sarted feeding them now Charlie, they are still skittish,but the food goes every week.The landowner has banned all dog walking through two of the woods that we are working on,his dad was not happy,but there you go,deer don`t like dogs so the dogs are not welcome.

Look forward to some nice shots from you once they settle down.
I am reluctant to start feeding as I spend way too much already on those wee red fellas.
We had an idiot last year who quite cheerfully told me he liked to let his collie chase the deer.
I got stuck into him & canna understand why I have never seen him since.:thinking::shrug: :D

Another great shot Charlie of your usual subjects shown off to great effect sitting atop of the Birch prop.

Tell them to stick around ;)

I feed them on Sundays only Charlie,one of the tenant farmers lets me have a bucket of sheep feed for them,hopefully they will stay in the woods if they have food and shelter,espeially over winter, and away from the longdogs.

I only feed the buzzards on Sundays as well, they still need to learn to feed themselves, but no harm in helping them along,especially the young.

I feed them on Sundays only Charlie,one of the tenant farmers lets me have a bucket of sheep feed for them,hopefully they will stay in the woods if they have food and shelter,espeially over winter, and away from the longdogs.

I only feed the buzzards on Sundays as well, they still need to learn to feed themselves, but no harm in helping them along,especially the young.

They will stay around but the younger ones will be forced out to find their own way in the world.
I have seen an old buck with what can only be described as murder in his eyes as he chased a lesser buck out of a wood.
I was glad I was sat up a tree.:D

Both lovely but that first one is such a great composition Charlie! The tail just makes it a classic :)

Two nice shots and detailed too, I like the pose. The reds seem to be missing from the midlands now, havent seen one for longer than I care to think about :(. Its good to know they are still around and being cared for. :clap:

Nice shots as always mate, glad your seeing the results of all your hard work and money (y)

Thank you all. I have just been watching Reds in Kielder on the telly!
I think though it is time I changed the "props" & added a few more as I really want to create an outdoor studio to photograph the "locals" in.

Head check, - yep
ears check, yep
feet check, yep
tail-tip check, yep

Yep you got it all in the image Charlie
:LOL:

#1 is a stunning image
I'm glad to see that there are
surviving young (y)

Thank you all. I have just been watching Reds in Kielder on the telly!

I was just watching that... and guess who I thought of!! :D

Thats a lovely shot of a young 'un....its SO cute! :love:

Head check, - yep
ears check, yep
feet check, yep
tail-tip check, yep

Yep you got it all in the image Charlie

#1 is a stunning image
I'm glad to see that there are
surviving young (y)

When I had it in the lens, I thought to myself that I had best get it all in the frame or hissing Syd would have something to say.:LOL:

We have a few young uns running about the place & the woods seem to be quite busy with reds this year too.(y)
There was a female who looked like she was still suckling young there this morning as well. Hope she has not left it too.

When I had it in the lens, I thought to myself that I had best get it all in the frame or hissing Syd would have something to say.:LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
it really is get at Cobra week
I have had
"that snake"
Spitting Cobra
and now hissing Sid
and these are the ones that I know about :p

But I appreciate the thought Charlie :D

We have a few young uns running about the place & the woods seem to be quite busy with reds this year too.(y)
There was a female who looked like she was still suckling young there this morning as well. Hope she has not left it too.
As long as the weather holds for a bit I am sure she will be fine (y)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
it really is get at Cobra week
I have had
"that snake"
Spitting Cobra
and now hissing Sid
and these are the ones that I know about :p

But I appreciate the thought Charlie :D

As long as the weather holds for a bit I am sure she will be fine (y)

Well I was up the glen yesterday & the bracken is on the turn as are some of the trees so I am thinking we may be in for an early autumn. Ach she can just bring the young to the hide. Never ending food supply there.:LOL:

Good job you are not a rattlesnake. They shoot them.:LOL::LOL:

Good job you are not a rattlesnake. They shoot them.:LOL::LOL:

:razz: :D
No signs of autumn down here yet everything is firmly glued to the trees
and the leaves / shrubs / undergrowth is / are very much green

:razz: :D
No signs of autumn down here yet everything is firmly glued to the trees
and the leaves / shrubs / undergrowth is / are very much green

Aye, you softies hiv it aesy doon sooth.:LOL:

Lovely shots and well taken............as always(y)

They are such beautiful creatures.......good to know someone is keeping an eye on them!

Lovely shots and well taken............as always(y)

They are such beautiful creatures.......good to know someone is keeping an eye on them!

Thank you. I sometimes wonder though who is keeping an eye on who. They really are comical when they stare in the window at you.:LOL:

That first shot is just super, Charlie. The little un' looks in good nick too.

Mr Cobra sir, I am guilty of a "the snake" this morning, but I promise it was meant with affection :love: ;)

Tara

That first shot is just super, Charlie. The little un' looks in good nick too.

Mr Cobra sir, I am guilty of a "the snake" this morning, but I promise it was meant with affection :love: ;)

Tara

Thank you. They are all in good shape these days! This is a time of plenty for them too with the cones & fungi coming on.

As to Cobra.
Ye big soook.:LOL::LOL:

Thank you once again. Glad you liked the shots of the wee fella's.
Some of the shots I have taken are used in publicity material by the Squirrel Project in Scotland. Nice to be able to help them out.

Tara
I know Tara, I know. I AM keeping score :D
(but I will let you off as you have always been my favourite member :hug: but don't tell Mr Turbotoes :D )

As to Cobra.
Ye big soook.:LOL::LOL:

Yeah but look above, I got an "affection" from a lovely young lady so :razz: to you Mr lumber-jack :LOL:

I know Tara, I know. I AM keeping score :D
(but I will let you off as you have always been my favourite member :hug: but don't tell Mr Turbotoes :D )

Yeah but look above, I got an "affection" from a lovely young lady so :razz: to you Mr lumber-jack :LOL:

That my lucky fellow is why I said it. I am just so jealous.:p:LOL:

By the way. I am not a lumber jack, I am a lumbering Jock! :p

Last edited:
That my lucky fellow is why I said it. I am just so jealous.:p:LOL:

By the way. I am not a lumber jack, I am a lumbering Jock! :p

Well in that case young sir I thank you (y) :D

Back