Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
https://gopro.com/

Less than an hour until release!

With all the hype, this better be something special. Part of me thinks they're creating this huge buzz and then it'll be a flop lol.... I can't wait to see how it stacks up against the DJI P4 - that's what it will be compared against.

I think it looks a really good deal. It really is a system where you get a drone + handheld stabiliser+bag|+ controller. It takes RAW pictures and it looks pretty easy to fly. Really looking forward to seeing some reviews as this would really tempt me.

Some marketing propaganda here:

https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/karma

Looking good, handheld gimbal included, compatible with my Hero Silver 4, so I can get one at a reasonable price point, and upgrade the camera at a later date (the Wide Dynamic Range and IS is tempting though).

The handheld gimbal can be bought on it's own, but is quite expensive, unless you buy the gimbal and Karma together, then it's quite reasonable (IMO), for what you're getting.

Looking forward to seeing the reviews, I might be one of the early takers for this.

I still prefer the overall look of the DJI P4. The Karma looks a bit thin/flimsy (someone said cheap on a group I'm on).

I'm waiting for side by side video comparisons of the P4 v the Karma with a H5 strapped to it

haha, I was about to post the same link....

I do like the compactness of the Karma - still waiting for more reviews though

haha, I was about to post the same link....

I do like the compactness of the Karma - still waiting for more reviews though

I think it looks awesome. I have always thought that the video quality from my Hero 4 Black was better than both the Zenmuse X3 cameras I have. Having a gimbal handle as part of the pack too is a great idea. However I already have one of those on order (from a company I found on IndieGoGo) that is just as good as the GoPro one PLUS it's waterproof.

I have the H4B and a Feiyu Tech G4S Gimbal, so all set in that respect.

Question is, do I get a Karma alone (£800~), Karma + H5B (£1,100~) or the DJI P4 (£950~)?

I must admit, the flight time of the P4 is a huge difference, plus the plus the whole thing looks more robust and could take a few knocks. I do like how GoPro say you can "service" (fix) the Karma yourself. But IMO, I shouldn't expect it to break. Do GoPro know something they're not letting on? Does the compactness/slimness of it make it weak, thus susceptible to damage easier?

It looks great and the footage, shown by Casey Neisat, looks excellent. But that was a pre-production model, carefully guarded, by a GoPro employee!

If it turns out, as good as they're selling it, it will be a huge seller. But I'm still a bit dubious, especially given the delay, that the Karma experienced.

Time will tell...........

Anyway your find out next week. I can't say anymore than that due to my NDA with DJI

Well let's hope the compass error on that image you shared isn't a regular occurrence. Let's also hope the rumour that it only has a 2 axis gimbal is false. After all we wouldn't want DJI being "out done / out spec'd by GoPro" would we.

Good points seem to be that quite compact case and included detachable gimbal, I like how quickly it unpacks with very little setting up other than opening the arms.
With P3 it's quite a faff about fitting props and starting/connecting the tablet.
I can imagine plenty of horror stories from all the new owners.
GoPro haven't exactly been technically brilliant with other recent offerings IMO

Well let's hope the compass error on that image you shared isn't a regular occurrence. Let's also hope the rumour that it only has a 2 axis gimbal is false. After all we wouldn't want DJI being "out done / out spec'd by GoPro" would we.

Let's be honest, the Karma couldn't find GPS in NYC (of all places) in Casey's video. He had to move it. That said, he did say beforehand it was a prototype model, but so is the Mavic pictured.....

I think I'm going to be ordering one of those Karma Grip's for my GoPro4 Black for sure. Release date is a bit too close to my holiday though.

The more compact design is a winner though with similar features to P4 and apparently considerably increased range.
You'll get much better satellite lock than Karma as it also uses Glonass, camera is included and looks better protected than your gopro stuck out the front.
Both these new designs are so much more easily carried when travelling.

If you already have a GoPro Karma looks sensible, if you don't Mavic is hard to beat at similar price to P4 presently.

Last edited:
If you already have a GoPro Karma looks sensible, if you don't Mavic is hard to beat at similar price to P4 presently.

I agree, the mavic will fit inside my lowepro photo hatchback at the top I think, or above my ICU in my f stop bag, on my shopping list for January. I don't like the controller though, I'd rather I didn't have to use my phone as the battery doesn't last long on my 6s so I'll have to get a power bank as well

The mere fact you can use the Karma's gimbal standalone, and of course the GoPro itself, means I feel the Karma is the better choice for me. The Phantom 4 is probably still the best for overall image quality (in the consumer price range) but something's always put me off them.

I don't like the idea of using my phone and I'd need to buy a tablet, so that's another plus for the Karma too.

Both Karma and Mavic look really good. I like the fact that Karma is a system, where you can use the handheld stabiliser (Karma Grip) if you are not using the drone and you get the bag etc. The GoPro is a great camera in its own right.The Mavic has the DJI pedigree and looks smaller, lighter and more portable. Looking forward to seeing some real world tests of each drone as seriously thinking of getting one instead of a new lens. Are there any good sites/forums for drones that will give unbiased views on each?Thanks

Just checked - the Mavic would take up the same space in my bag as my flashes.

Getting very tempted, but think I'll wait and see if this new platform has any teething troubles before placing an order.

Looking at that the video quality is going to be worse than Hero 4/Hero 5 on Karma, because it's not as good as Phantom 4.

That was my first though as well 4wd.

Personally, I'm going to wait a few months and see how both drones perform before making a decision.

I love the idea of the Mavic, but I have questions about DJI's quality control and customer service. Happy to spend £1000 to get what I want, but not to watch it disappear into the distance :)

Looking at that the video quality is going to be worse than Hero 4/Hero 5 on Karma, because it's not as good as Phantom 4.

I can't wait for my Removu gimbal to arrive because video quality from my GoPro Hero 4 Black is far better than what comes out of the X3 cameras on my Inspire 1 or Osmo.

Back