Critique Kashmir - Landscapes

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
No
Way back in 2017 on my first trip to India. I'm looking back now and trying to see whether to post-processing went too far. Let me know your thoughts on that or anything in general about the images.
Taken on a Sony A7R (the original) 55mm Zeiss 1.8
IMG_3871.JPG
Kashmir_travel-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ntz
I think they're both lovely pictures Doug.

My only question is was the sky that colour in the first one? Vignetting seems unusually heavy too but having said all that these could be matters of taste and they do look very nice as they are :D

Well done :D

I think they're both lovely pictures Doug.

My only question is was the sky that colour in the first one? Vignetting seems unusually heavy too but having said all that these could be matters of taste and they do look very nice as they are :D

Well done :D
Definitely not that color, and something I wouldn't do to a raw image today :eek:. I think I was going through my "make them feel how I felt" phase in the HSL area of Lightroom.

Seeing some of your other posts I assume you are looking for feedback...

I don't have an issue with the overall tonality of either, they might not be exactly true colour but they have a certain kind of 1970's film look to them, perhaps the backpack in the second is a bit too dark and grubby looking. I do find the first to be too dark overall (on this monitor at least) and in both the subjects seem a bit lost. the bright patch on the mountain distracts from the people on horseback in the first and positioning the woman further right in the second would separate her from the bush.

Definitely not that color, and something I wouldn't do to a raw image today :eek:. I think I was going through my "make them feel how I felt" phase in the HSL area of Lightroom.

Hey! Nothing wrong with artistic interpretation :D

I don't have an issue with the overall tonality of either, they might not be exactly true colour but they have a certain kind of 1970's film look to them, perhaps the backpack in the second is a bit too dark and grubby looking. I do find the first to be too dark overall (on this monitor at least) and in both the subjects seem a bit lost. the bright patch on the mountain distracts from the people on horseback in the first and positioning the woman further right in the second would separate her from the bush.

My 1st thoughts.

thanks, I seem to remember that I'd tried to bring up the shadows on the camels but struggled with a bit of ghosting around them. I'm wondering whether a longer lens would have given some more compression and helped the camels feel more like the subject rather than the mountain. Fair point about the bush behind her, probably could have even just removed it in PS to help with the compostion

You still can. Why not have another bash at them? With the benefit of time you might look at them differently and come up with a different interpretation.

You still can. Why not have another bash at them? With the benefit of time you might look at them differently and come up with a different interpretation.
not a bad idea, I'll see if I can dig up the RAWs tonight

I agree with what Chris and Alan said above
My broader point was that that must have been amazing to travel in Kashmir, it so often seems to be on the travel not wise list thanks to robbers and military stuff.

I agree with what Chris and Alan said above
My broader point was that that must have been amazing to travel in Kashmir, it so often seems to be on the travel not wise list thanks to robbers and military stuff.
It's definitely off and on depending on the current situation between Pakistan and India, although areas like Ladakh are pretty safe. In terms of violent threats from individuals/gangs, I spent three weeks there and at no point felt threatened at all. If anything I've felt safer there than in the UK

I would prefer natural colours.

You could do selective editing to gently bring out important parts of the picture which I suspect would be the somewhere down the bottom in no1

1st one is ok, not a fan of the second one. It comes across as more of an product shot/advert for fjallraven rucksacks (which if that's what you're going for works well) than a landscape shot. I see what you're going for and the style, but I want to see the mountains that are in the background AND the flowers.

Back