Kean - First baby shoot

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Did my first newborn shoot a couple of days ago. I had somehow imagined it would be a doddle. Simply ask Mum to place nicely sleeping baby as you wish and click away. None of this mucking about or non-cooperativeness that older kids do.

LOL. Wrong. What an eye opener. Far more difficult than I imagined with baby wakeful and demanding breast feeding, Mum wanting to hold him up for shots in three hats that she'd brought and then being surprised that her hands were in the shot, her almost demolishing the set with her backside, me getting more stressed than is reasonable and the basket my missus had got was really too tall.

Great learning experience though and, after viewing the shots last night, she was over the moon with them. Here's a selection for you to crit, your feedback and advice always appreciated and heeded. (Yes, the first ones are a bit Rob Mank influenced. As far as I'm concerned he is 'the man' where little one portraits are concerned. I love his stuff)

IMG_4268 by mikeplow1961, on Flickr

Blew the hell out of the white scarfy thing. Will make sure to use coloured or position differently in future.

IMG_4279 by mikeplow1961, on Flickr
(I know I cut the hand off on this but it's the only shot I got where he wasn't active or grizzling)

IMG_4332 by mikeplow1961, on Flickr

Three_Rectangles by mikeplow1961, on Flickr
I know there are some glaring PP artefacts in these. His mum's hand was on the front of the blanket and her other hand on his left arm. I did the best job I could in removing them but I'm no Photoshop expert. But for the 7x5 prints she says she's getting done it will hopefully be okay.

As always guys, thanks for looking and for any comments.

Last edited:
Really nicely done Mike.

I've yet to do one of these myself but have one on the horizon. Many I've seen in this style make it looks easy but know it'll be far from it.

Like the uniqueness of numbers 2 and 3. Great prop, any more details of it?

Dan

Really nicely done Mike.

I've yet to do one of these myself but have one on the horizon. Many I've seen in this style make it looks easy but know it'll be far from it.

Like the uniqueness of numbers 2 and 3. Great prop, any more details of it?

Dan

Thanks Dan
The prop is just a large knitted rectangle with a slip through pocket, a sewn on trim and very large buttons. I'd seen Rob Mank post one a little while ago and thought it was a total knockout. Rob's pic looked even m ore effective as he had a dinky little five pounder in there and mine was over nine but this was the earliest we could do him.

Couldn't find one anywhere on line. Rob said his mum knitted it for him so my missus set about making one for me. All I know is she needed super chunky wool and took 5 balls and cost about 20 quid in total. Just seeing the look on the mum's face when she saw the shots it paid for itself right there. Great idea of Rob's.

Thanks for the kind words Mike!! :) :LOL:

I think you've done quite well. Its not as easy as people think! You need a lot of patience with babies. Just be careful with your placement of your light :)

Dan, its a cardigan pocket. But its knitted more of as a blanket with a pocket stitched in. :)

You just need a bigger pocket Mike! :p

Check out the one I put up this morning on my FB page. He's 5 week old now and not far off the same size as the one you've just shot :)

Might have to be on to the mother-in-law. She likes a bit of knitting!

Yours wasn't showing on Facebook Rob, but I logged off and back in and it was there, strange. Very nicely done.

Cheers

Last edited:
You just need a bigger pocket Mike! :p

Check out the one I put up this morning on my FB page. He's 5 week old now and not far off the same size as the one you've just shot :)

The light was wrong on the one of him asleep. I took a quick snap then was about to turn the whole thing and, of course, he woke up.

I saw your bigger one this morning on FB. Looks great. I'm just waiting to pick my moment before mentioning making a bigger one to her indoors. :)

personally i think the wallpaper spoils no1
but the rest of that shot is superb
And i absolutely love no3 in the pocket

good shoot

Fantastic shots mike I really like them all, i bet mother is really pleased with them

Can I ask where did you get the blocks from ?

and also can your wife knit me a blanket lol

I also agree with you I think manks baby pictures are awesome

The basket shot is good I would have just had a firmer base so he didn't sink into the blanket as much and you could have seen his whole face if you have changed the pose to the baby on the belly with arms under the head that would have worked as well but know how hard it is to work with new borns and they don't always do as you had planned. But some great shots for a first time with new borns

These are your first? Blimey!
Those pocket shots are adorable.

Back