Keep the DSLR or swap to a compact system....

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Evening all, dumb question time maybe. I've got a Nikon D200 and various lenses but whenever I'm out and about it's very bulky, heavy etc. Thinking of trading them in and investing/switching to the Nikon 1 J4 system with all the lenses etc. Obviously much smaller and lighter but what else am I gaining/sacrificing? Aren't they all much of a muchness nowadays?

Look at the Olympus four thirds system! I'm possibly selling all my slr stuff for one!

I think the different brands excel in different areas, some have better AF, some are better at higher ISO's, some have better lens line ups, etc. I've been very impressed with the image quality on my Fuji X-Pro, but the AF isn't great and although it's smaller and lighter than my DSLR, it's not the smallest CSC around.

Olympus M1 ! I love the LE set ups on it

I've recently bought a Canon EOS M kit and although I quite like it there's no way it will replace my DSLR and lenses. Certainly not while I still photograph wildlife.

You say that but with the Olympus you can get a 300 mm 2.8 lens for not a lot and it then on a 4/3rds it equates to a 600mm 2.8 mirror less camera that shoots high rate per second

Personally ive been there and done that with getting rid of DSLR and just having a CSC and id have both myself as for choice personally id go with a M43 camera or Fuji X series both have some excellent camera with a decent selection of lenses to choose from :D

The Nikon 1 range doesnt have the same selection of lenses to choose from and it has the smallest sensor too.

Last edited:
EM1 hmmm cos of it AF?? I keep think EM10

It all depends on what kind of things you like to shoot and whether or not you like shallow depth of field.

I really like the Nikon 1 system, it produces lovely jpg images that are full of detail. However, the system lacks fast wide primes and doesn't have inbuilt stabilisation so the relatively poor high ISO is a bit of a limitation, as is the lack of shallow depth of field due to the small sensor. That said, my V1 is probably equal or better at high ISO than your D200. Ultimately though, for me the 1 system isn't a replacement for a DSLR.

I also have an Olympus EM10 and that is a much more exciting proposition, in built stabilisation, excellent range of lenses, excellent image quality, very good high ISO and lots on on body controls. The only thing that could be said to be lacking is the continuous autofocus which won't match your DSLR.

Other than that though I feel truly liberated from my D610 and it seems ludicrously big compared to the Olympus and nowadays when I see people walking around with even small DSLRs I smile to myself about the bulk they are lugging around.

Last edited:
Remember the new 300 and the 40-150 can be used with the new 1.4 teleconverter.

Where this 300 lens can't appear find it

Longest lens I shoot with is 50mm anyway ! I want the kit lens and the 7-14 I think it is..... I'll be hsppy

I have both; couldn't get rid of my DSLR kit as I use it a lot for macro and wildlife. FF IQ is hard to beat with good glass. I have an EOS M system with the adapter which means all of my existing EF lenses are compatible with it. Using the native lenses gives me an entire kit that weighs no more than 2.5Kg including the bag (11-22, 22mm f2, 18-55, 55-200, EF adapter, 40mm f2.8 and flash etc). The lightweight system gives me a lot of freedom when I can't be arsed to lug a DSLR around, but at least I have the option. And to top it all off I bet the whole lot has cost no more than £500 in total. Good value for money for me at least.

Last edited:
You say that but with the Olympus you can get a 300 mm 2.8 lens for not a lot and it then on a 4/3rds it equates to a 600mm 2.8 mirror less camera that shoots high rate per second
Not really its more like 5.6 due to the crop, but which lens is that sounds interesting?

Maybe just upgrade your body to the later Nikons? You have a choice from feather light plastic fantastic D3x00 up to all singing and dancing D810. D200 is barely OK for A3 print.

I've got the d7100 and can't deceide if to go for a d600 or change completly to Olympus OMD E M1

Last edited:
Maybe just upgrade your body to the later Nikons? You have a choice from feather light plastic fantastic D3x00 up to all singing and dancing D810. D200 is barely OK for A3 print.

Yes agree with this the lighter entry level bodies are excellent now and are much smaller than the pro type bodies
I shoot Canon my lightweight wildlife kit is a 550D and 70-200F4, when I dont want to carry a heavy body and lens
The 550D is an old model and is cheap second hand but has excellent image quality
I'm sure that the Nikon equivalent is at least as good

Last edited:
Got rid of my V1 kit. I didn't like the fact that you have to set the ISO in a range, not to a specific rating, but much worse was the position of the mode dial which I kept inadvertently moving. I've got big hands so have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my D90 using the V1 system moneu plus a little cash I've squirrelled away. Looking towards the D7100 (have to forget the FX cameras as good glass would be too expensive) but welcome any suggestions?

Rob

Get the FT-1 converter and you can use all your F mount lenses on any 1 series body (with a crop factor of 2.7x) Great for telephoto use but less so for wide angles! Doesn't reduce the bulk of the camera bag much though... Fuji X system does that though and the lenses are fabulous. Not a cheap option.

What type of shots are you shooting?

AF is the only real drawback to CSC's at the moment so for birds in flight you may hate it.

For treking to get a landscpae you will be happy.

I am very happy with my OLY E-M1 and E-M5 they do what I need

Sensor size & AF plays the biggest part I think as well as lens availability/adapters.

I was thinking of going 5D2 > Sony A7? but I can't fully convince myself.

Longest lens I shoot with is 50mm anyway ! I want the kit lens and the 7-14 I think it is..... I'll be hsppy
I have the EM1 and EM5 with a couple of lenses. Panasonic 100-300 and a 12-40 f2.8 pro. Fantastic kit and produces excellent quality images. They are all pretty light to carry around. I moved ( eventually) after selling my D300.
But, I have just bought a D7100 and a couple of lenses.
I prefer the IQ from the Nikon ( I tend to crop a lot and the APS-C sensor seems to take it better)
I also had a D200 and together with a Tamron SP90 Macro lens, I produced some really nice A3 macro prints that I sold and had a lot of repeat orders.
I will probably sell my M43 gear and just keep the Nikon. Its smaller and lighter than my D300, not as small as the M43 system, but much lighter than my old Nikon and 2.8 glass.
It suits me ( at the moment)
You could also have a look at the Fuji X series. I have an X100s. Images are very very good and the camera looks great but I think if I was to sell my Nikon again, I would get another X-T1
Allan

Have you ever tried a XE 2 Allan? I guess you had a X T1 would you have that over the OMD??

Hmmm X100 how does it fair really AF and C AF and low light?

Since getting a Sony a6000 in December ive hardly used my 5Dmkiii. The Sony seeems to hold up well against the FF camera. It's not as sharp or clean, but it's good enough for non critical shooting.
At this rate I can see me getting rid of all the Canon gear this time next year. My back won't miss it.

Since getting a Sony a6000 in December ive hardly used my 5Dmkiii. The Sony seeems to hold up well against the FF camera. It's not as sharp or clean, but it's good enough for non critical shooting.
At this rate I can see me getting rid of all the Canon gear this time next year. My back won't miss it.
The A7II is pretty clean and sharp even with kit lens. Am shock

The A7 II is new out it the A7 that was poor

Hi,

I've thought about CSC's myself mainly for weight savings/convenience but came to the conclusion that once you start adding additional lenses to any system they're all a bit weighty and certainly not something you'll have the convenience of dropping in a pocket. I find having a DSLR and a convenient, good quality compact the ideal balance.. I'll just take the one out that suits the needs that day

Simon

I've just come back from a holiday where I took the D800 and a mix of kit (24-70 f2.8 Tamron, 20mm f1.8G Nikon and 35mm f1.8G Nikon) and its fair to say I wish I hadn't bothered, even just with the 35mm and the 20mm in the bag it was too much.
It probably didn't help my mood any that the weather was fairly dire and not great for shots but its certainly made my mind up to get something smaller for going away in the summer.

I'll keep the D800, 24-70 and 70-200 as I do use them a lot at home but will move on the 20mm and 35mm to fund a secondary compact system for travel, some bargains to be had with Fuji, Olympus and even the new Sony kit.

Hi,

I've thought about CSC's myself mainly for weight savings/convenience but came to the conclusion that once you start adding additional lenses to any system they're all a bit weighty and certainly not something you'll have the convenience of dropping in a pocket. I find having a DSLR and a convenient, good quality compact the ideal balance.. I'll just take the one out that suits the needs that day

Simon

You have to have the cameras and lenses in your hand. Trying to decide by sitting in a chair and surfing the net doesn't do it IMVHO. Not that that's what you've done but it's worth stressing that you really do need to handle the kit to appreciate the bulk and weight savings.

When I first went out with my G1 rather than my 5D and 50mm f1.4 I honestly had to keep checking the bag to make sure that the camera hadn't fallen out such was the difference in weight. I felt uncomfortable not being able to feel the drag of the DSLR kit on my shoulder and I checked the bag more than once.

These days I have an A7 and two Panasonic cameras, G1 and GX7. I can take either of the Panasonic cameras out with three lenses, 14, 25 and 45mm and the kit is a fraction of the size and weight of a 5D and just one lens. It's the same with my A7 and 55mm f1.8, again it's a fraction of the size and weight of a DSLR system. I can take the A7 and 28, 50 and 85mm lenses in just one small bag and there's no way that a 5D and similar lenses would fit in the same bag. I might get the 5D plus 50mm and one additional small lens but certainly not any of the DSLR primes I owned.

I sometimes take a quality camera with a nice prime and a compact too, phone/Ixus/LX5, but for me there's no need to compromise on bulk and weight savings as IMVHO even the smaller sensor cameras can match the image quality of the best DSLR's at all but the highest ISO's and print sizes but of course there is no image quality compromise with the A7. Other things in the mix such as focus tracking, wifi etc... I don't care.

Plus of course there's the advantages of CSC's if you see them as advantages, I do and even if there was no bulk or weight saving over a DSLR system I'd still prefer the "compact" system camera :D

Last edited:
I am currently on holiday, went out on tuesday with the 7d and 70 - 200 got some good shots of moving dogs but was fed up of carrying it on the end, it's heavy and bulky and if I'm honest it became a pain as the day went on,, so took the fuji yesterday with 50 - 230mm still got some good shots of moving dogs, but got some fab sea scape, and more importantly had fun with it, I had somewhat fallen out with photography, but do feel my enthusiasm returning the more I use the little beast

You have to have the cameras and lenses in your hand. Trying to decide by sitting in a chair and surfing the net doesn't do it IMVHO. Not that that's what you've done but it's worth stressing that you really do need to handle the kit to appreciate the bulk and weight savings.

Exactly right, you've got to try it out and when I put 2 /3 lenses together with the body I needed a bag to carry it around in.. which I do with the D800, so whilst there was a little weight saving I didn't feel it was worth spending additional money on for a CSC system as well as the DSLR. If I was looking to replace the D800 entirely then a CSC may well tempt me, infact I'm keeping my eye on developments closely.

I am currently on holiday, went out on tuesday with the 7d and 70 - 200 got some good shots of moving dogs but was fed up of carrying it on the end, it's heavy and bulky and if I'm honest it became a pain as the day went on,, so took the fuji yesterday with 50 - 230mm still got some good shots of moving dogs, but got some fab sea scape, and more importantly had fun with it, I had somewhat fallen out with photography, but do feel my enthusiasm returning the more I use the little beast
Which Fuji u got pls

I sold a couple of Canon Lenses and bought the X e1 kit from wex with the free 50 -230 , I went this option as I didn't want to spend too much and not like it, it does everything I want am even getting used to the electronic view finder,

I sold a couple of Canon Lenses and bought the X e1 kit from wex with the free 50 -230 , I went this option as I didn't want to spend too much and not like it, it does everything I want am even getting used to the electronic view finder,
Hmmm as the XE 2 is interesting me as good deals and cash back at moment with there lens.

Hmmm as the XE 2 is interesting me as good deals and cash back at moment with there lens.
Just looked they must have been selling of the stock of the xe1 as they don't have that deal anymore, I know it was well under £500 when I bought it, I'm finding it a pleasure to use, technically my photos might not be as good at the moment while im getting used to it, but I am taking photos again and enjoying it

I was feeling exactly the same about my D700 kit so now have a Fuji set up as well. In the main, I keep the 18-135 on the X-T1 as a general walkabout set up with a few other lenses in the bag (either back in the room or in the boot). Couldn't bring myself to abandon the FF system though and have since increased it by a D750 which should come into its own on the forthcoming Iceland TP trip - its high ISO handling is better and I have a 14mm f/2.8 to fit on it for the Northern lights. Hopefully! The Fuji system is the one that gets grabbed most of the time unless I think I'll need the extra that the D750 gives.

I was feeling exactly the same about my D700 kit so now have a Fuji set up as well. In the main, I keep the 18-135 on the X-T1 as a general walkabout set up with a few other lenses in the bag (either back in the room or in the boot). Couldn't bring myself to abandon the FF system though and have since increased it by a D750 which should come into its own on the forthcoming Iceland TP trip - its high ISO handling is better and I have a 14mm f/2.8 to fit on it for the Northern lights. Hopefully! The Fuji system is the one that gets grabbed most of the time unless I think I'll need the extra that the D750 gives.
I would never get rid of the canon,, but I do tend to grab the fuji first

Back