Keep the DSLR or swap to a compact system....

One then I did find on the Fuji XE 2 and Sony A7 II is when I took some city pictures with sky etc all the image was perfect didn't need much hassle or editing... On the the Dslr i have to take several to get the right image...

Exactly right, you've got to try it out and when I put 2 /3 lenses together with the body I needed a bag to carry it around in.. which I do with the D800, so whilst there was a little weight saving I didn't feel it was worth spending additional money on for a CSC system as well as the DSLR. If I was looking to replace the D800 entirely then a CSC may well tempt me, infact I'm keeping my eye on developments closely.

The thing to do is to weigh the advantages of each system for you.

I'm not a machine gunner so I don't need high frame rates and I've never used focus tracking so I don't need a camera that's really good at it (but only the very best DSLR's are slightly better than the very best CSC's at this anyway and I didn't have one of the very best DSLR's, I had a 300D, 10D, 20D and then a 5D) so when I weighed the pros and cons I just couldn't see any inherent advantage in favour of DSLR's. Actually CSC's have advantages for me such as better focus performance with no front / back focus silliness to worry about and aids such as an in view histogram meaning no more blown highlights and great aids for manual focus.

When I bought into CSC's and sold my Canon kit I think I actually ended up with spare cash.

Right gotta decide lol

Last edited:
LOL seem like I am the OP at the moment as it me that want to get cracking and get back into photography. I feel I be happier with a smaller system not lugging big stuff Suppose it would help my back too

I have recently sold my D800 and three lenses and have purchased a Fuji TX-1 and the nearest equivalent lenses, for me it was all about the weight, I have arthritis in my lower back and carting the heavy kit around was getting really difficult
and I was using it less and less, when I saw the cash back deals Fuji were offering (a total of £600 for me) I decided to go for it, I have had the Fuji for six weeks and have used it more than I used the Nikon all last year so for me it was the best thing I could have done.

(y):clap:

Regards Bob

I have today made the switch from a D7000 and a couple of lenses to a Panasonic G6 and one lens for now to see how I get on. Not the smallest CSC body but it's the one that felt right to me from all the ones I tried in the shop. Weight wise I am carrying out 40% of what I was before. Also smaller size and less "bulk" means I am more likely to want to take it with me more often than leave it at home and grab the compact. Hopefully it's going to reignite the fun of photography.

Just got to get used to the EVF but having things like the vary angle screen and having wifi etc should be good as i can use my phone as a remote for longer shutter exposures.

The A7 II is new out it the A7 that was poor

Yeah but think how good the MKIII will be :).
It will probably take me that long to get up the nerve to make the change completely.
It's really the lens line up that is stopping me. I've not seen much that can compete with my Canon lenses yet.

Last edited:
Yeah but think how good the MKIII will be :).
It will probably take me that long to get up the nerve to make the change completely.
Dave which is your Fave lens on the 5D3

I played with an Olympus m5 mk2 on Sunday and it was fan bloody tastic! Lens options are infante!

I went Nikon d750 in the end it quite small compare to my last one so very pls. I wanted very good AF tracking and image quality so couldn't risk anything else

I went Nikon d750 in the end it quite small compare to my last one so very pls. I wanted very good AF tracking and image quality so couldn't risk anything else

Excellent Rookie, I thought for a while you weren't going to decide! Have you got it yet or just ordered? I.e. Is there time for you to change your mind? :)

Sorry I've already got it. Love it. It is really smaller than my last kit so that's a bonus

Hi Guys,
Thought I was the the only one finding my camera gear getting to heavy to carry around on holiday.
At the moment I have a Canon 7d, 15-85mm IS, 70-200mm IS f4L.
Could some recommend a compact system that would be similar to above setup.
Many thanks

Hi. I went to visit my brother in September and didn't take my Canon kit but a panasonic Gx7, 20mm, the kit lens and the 100-300 zoom and it did very well - surfers, Scottish deerhounds tearing about.... So I would suggest give that a whirl. There are lots of good ones out there tho so I am sure if you search the threads you will find many recommendations. Once you've had a read, go and get your hands on them and see which one fits you best. Hope that helps.

Hi Guys,
Thought I was the the only one finding my camera gear getting to heavy to carry around on holiday.
At the moment I have a Canon 7d, 15-85mm IS, 70-200mm IS f4L.
Could some recommend a compact system that would be similar to above setup.
Many thanks

Olympus EM1 generally seems to be regarded as having the best AF of the mirorless bodies, I'd suggest a look at that if you wanted to replace a 7D

I would like to throw in the idea of not trading entire systems but going from a semi pro body down to a smaller one.

I used to shoot with a D300 and it broke me. Now I shoot with various M4/3 bodies with the nice glass, the fujifilm, X100/x20, a entry level sony A37 with my old 1990s minolta glass + my 90mm macro lens (I cannot say enough how hard focus peaking rules) and a D5200 with primes.

I would really really urge people to look at what lenses they would end up buying before the bodies and compare it to what they have. I ended up with the two DSLR bodies because the second hand price of them has absolutely tanked since people, and by people I mean people like my mother who only take holiday pictures, decided they wanted M4/3 instead.
I paid £150 for a A37 with 100 shutter actuations and that's just madness - the D5200 was ex-display and £300 and that's full blown they are coming to take me away haha insanity - this is a camera with the 7000s focusing system, the D7100's iso stuff and a newly developed sensor. Stick a 35mm 1.8 on it and you have a astonishing camera you can't fail with for about £420.
Both of these bodies are sort of half way between the smaller body cameras and D300/D200/D7X00 in weight, stick a 35mm/50mm prime on them and they actually weigh about the same as the oly Em-5 with the 25mm f/1.4 on it.

But anyway, I'm rambling now, as I said it's all about the glass, and for the love of god don't buy into the nikon or canon smaller sensor/body system, it's not that they are bad, it's that the competition is light years ahead of them in all ways.

Well I went for a D750 still a fantastic size camera smaller than the 5d3. Glad I went for it over a em 1 as it such a ace camera it crazy at high ISO really is.

...as I said it's all about the glass, and for the love of god don't buy into the nikon or canon smaller sensor/body system, it's not that they are bad, it's that the competition is light years ahead of them in all ways.

I agree about it being all about the lens but I'd add that it should also be about how you want to view the pictures, on screen or in print and how big etc...

For example I'm very happy with MFT for on screen viewing and for the few prints I do these days but my A7 is great for old manual lenses :D

On the Canon and Nikon thing, one thing that disappoints me is the relative lack of APS-C lenses and specifically nice primes. I suppose it could be argued that you can use a FF prime on an APS-C body and yes you can but just look at the lovely compact and sharp primes for MFT and they've only been going a few years.

Well I went for a D750 still a fantastic size camera smaller than the 5d3. Glad I went for it over a em 1 as it such a ace camera it crazy at high ISO really is.

I had been thinking before my recent trip about trading the D800 for the D750 and using that as a lighter system but after my week away lugging the D800 even with small, light gear (20mm f1.8G, 24mm f2.8D & 35mm f1.8G I'm not sure such a small change in body would make much difference. Now looking at either a cheapish used Sony (A7/A7r) and maybe the 35 f2.8 for my summer holiday, I'm loathed to give up the D800 completely as I do enjoy using it but I;d find it hard to justify two full frame setups with similar lenses (If I bought 24-70 & 70-200 for the A7/A7r) especially when AF aside I can't see that theres really anything the Nikon can do that the A7/A7r can't....

I agree about it being all about the lens but I'd add that it should also be about how you want to view the pictures, on screen or in print and how big etc...

IMO once we got to about 8mp it became all about the marketing, it's easy to forget that the manufacturers know that the vast majority of cameras sold will never have the kit lens taken off and will mostly be viewed at web size or just printed off from the jpeg at boots and you won't see a difference between 8mp or 98mp at this size, only real difference it makes is to the memory card manufacturers. I found it quite funny that when the D3200 came out with the 24mp sensor and I had incredibly annoying teenagers all absolutely insisting it was the greatest camera ever, (because as they own one it must be true) it was even funnier showing them real world test results showing that the sensor was too good for the kit lens so pictures were noticeably softer than the old sensor on the D3100. I'm rubbish at technical terms but I believe it's "the sensor out resolves the lens".

I had been thinking before my recent trip about trading the D800 for the D750 and using that as a lighter system but after my week away lugging the D800 even with small, light gear (20mm f1.8G, 24mm f2.8D & 35mm f1.8G I'm not sure such a small change in body would make much difference. Now looking at either a cheapish used Sony (A7/A7r) and maybe the 35 f2.8 for my summer holiday, I'm loathed to give up the D800 completely as I do enjoy using it but I;d find it hard to justify two full frame setups with similar lenses (If I bought 24-70 & 70-200 for the A7/A7r) especially when AF aside I can't see that theres really anything the Nikon can do that the A7/A7r can't....

Here my view on it.. Sold my canon 5d3 cos of it weighit and size... I was going oly or Sony A7II. But to be honest the D750 isn't that much smaller or heavier than the A7 when I handled them. So I went for the d750 and glad I did as it a excellent cameras. Plus the lens are cheaper and not much difference in size as Sony lens are big to ma,e use of the ff sensor

How come nobody ever mentions samsung as an option? Surely with the nx1, nx500 and the new premium s lenses it should be worth considering?

Here my view on it.. Sold my canon 5d3 cos of it weighit and size... I was going oly or Sony A7II. But to be honest the D750 isn't that much smaller or heavier than the A7 when I handled them. So I went for the d750 and glad I did as it a excellent cameras. Plus the lens are cheaper and not much difference in size as Sony lens are big to ma,e use of the ff sensor

I would have thought there to be palpable size and mass difference between the A7 MkII and D750 http://camerasize.com/compare/#579,567
And even more so between a E-M1 and D750 http://camerasize.com/compare/#482,567
Especially when you take into account the size of the lenses available (m4/3rds) and the mechanical flippy mirror and housing that accommodates it on the D750 (body depth).
If you factor in a an E-M5 or E-M10 which I think you were also considering the difference is even bigger http://camerasize.com/compare/#289,567

The D750 is a nice camera no doubt but I find it hard to see it being considered as a compact or light option these days.

Last edited:
Back