keeping camera/camcorder steady while walking

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
This has been my biggest problem when using my Panasonic HC-X1500 camcorder. It is too heavy as most lightweight gimbals payload is not enough. Larger gimbals that would hold the weight cost a packet for the amount of times I would use it.so that is my dilemma. Holding by the handle accessory kinda works but not as good as I would like, so back to the drawing board.
Up to now the best have come up with is the Sirui SL-200 . This screws in underneath the camcorder and allows both hand to hold when extended. with the camcorder set to pan/tilt for steadying is what works best so far. Videos say walk like a ninja (heel and toe) but being that much older is very tiring so in reality not very practicable.
At least with the Sirui it will pack easily into my onboard flight cabin bag and not into aa aircraft hold with the camcorder..

thank you for the link James, but it does not look as if it would fit on my camcorder. The best I have come up witrh is using the Sirui SL-200 extn bar underneath

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4_28TQyvV0

It weighs 3.5lb with a small microphone a bit more if I add the larger one. Of course I could go for a gimbal which is generally used but cost comes into the equation.

Zhiyun Crane 3S £550 would be the ideal

Mostvideos using a camcorder are just panning or zoom at least on youtube, very few are actually walking along with this type of camcorder. They are generally done with a camera or mobile phone

Last edited:
I've 5d3 being used on one of those cheapy ones like the one linked, not sure if it's the same model, but looks about the same. This was used by a pro video guy at a wedding.
link

I have considered one of them as well Scott but size is a problem when taking it on fly/cruise holiday which is what I usually go on. i had tghought about desikgning an extn arm/leg with suspension (something like a car suspension) but on a much smaller scale
P1060069a.jpg
if this had built in oil/air inside to absorb shock that would remove any step jerks/bounce when walking. Simple to use and fairly cheap if made in bulk
rly to

Last edited:
thank you for the link James, but it does not look as if it would fit on my camcorder. The best I have come up witrh is using the Sirui SL-200 extn bar underneath

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4_28TQyvV0

It weighs 3.5lb with a small microphone a bit more if I add the larger one. Of course I could go for a gimbal which is generally used but cost comes into the equation.

Zhiyun Crane 3S £550 would be the ideal

Mostvideos using a camcorder are just panning or zoom at least on youtube, very few are actually walking along with this type of camcorder. They are generally done with a camera or mobile phone
Sorry, looking again I'm being thick. The side handles only work with phones or go-pro on this one.

However, side handles were – for me – really helpful.

I think I have found the answer to the walking issue and videoing at the same time. Record as normal but when on the computer slow the video down . I tried this outside my front door and reduced the playback to about half speed. Ok yes keep the camera/camcorder as steady as possible obviously, but if this works I can't see any need for a gimbal. So I will experiment with this idea in the future to try out.

previous video

View: https://youtu.be/mCShHSOnegc

as taken

the above I had not bothered about recording as steady as I could have done but hopefully shows how slowing down playback makes a difference
View: https://youtu.be/4corIGVISl0

Last edited:
Does it have to be the same camera, or could you change to something smaller (potentially with built-in stabilisation)?

Neil I would use Adobe premier Pro good program but on a cloud based subscription and i don't like that idea. i would rather buy it outright and not keep having to pay monthly for it

Lewis
The panasonic Hc-x1500 camcorder has the best built in stabliser I have come across on a camcorder. My Nikon D810 using a Tamron 24-70mm f2.8Di VC USD G2 lens again is far better than any Nikon version I have used. My Panasonic DC_TZ95 compact camera is ok for stills but for 4K video the focus for me is a bit slow.and not as good as tfe others. My Nikon D300 doesn't do video so that is out of the question.
I did have the Sony AX53 and all the hype about how stablisation was? well say no more except I P/X it pretty quick. Not to mention lack of manual control on settings

Last edited:
Neil I would use Adobe premier Pro good program but on a cloud based subscription and i don't like that idea. i would rather buy it outright and not keep having to pay monthly for it

Davinci Resolve is free

Try Clipify, it's great for stabilizing videos and it's free. Also another vote for getting a handheld stabilizer.

i generally use this setup if videoing desktop work

xx.jpg

components are from bottom up
moman stand with feet set to widest
Serui SL-200 extn section
Mantrrotto Befree live video head with a MVH-400 top
on the arm a Lanc EL controller for zoom /start/stop control
camcorder Panasonic HC- X1500
extras can include an LED CN-160 small light, and different microphone if needed

quick example of an overhead video using above

View: https://youtu.be/6zsXtuxr54o

By just using the Serui arm together with the manfrotto arm really steadies it all I have discovered. a lot cheaper than getting a gimbal. so have to try this combo out first

Last edited:
Back