Kell's TP 52 2020 - Weeks 51 and 52.

Week 34 - Tiny.

Had no idea what I was going to do for this week, and then my wife had been out shopping and brought me home some 'midget' gems.

I tried 'lighting' them from the front (with the flashlight from my iPhone) and they were OK.

TP52: WK34 - Tiny 02 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP52: WK34 - Tiny 03 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

But then I wondered if their semi-opaqueness might benefit from being backlit. Which I think added a bit more drama and helped them live up to the gem part of their name.

TP52: WK34 - Tiny 04 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP52: WK34 - Tiny 05 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Definitely a good call to light from the back, it really brings out the rich colours.

Hi Kell

Great colours with the back lighting. You can see the details better as well.

Pete

So, we went to Jersey last week, as it was one of the only places we could book that didn't seem in any danger of having to be quarantined when we got back.

But it did mean I missed the theme for this week as I was having too much fun to even think about it. So luckily it's snapper's choice.

Many moons ago, I had a cheap waterproof camera that unfortunately, just stopped working. So I replaced it with a Fujifilm FinePix XP140 before we went as I knew we'd be doing some kayaking.

It's still not a very expensive camera, but proved pretty useful as it would slip in a pocket even when we weren't on the water. So when we took out some EV bikes for a trip around the island I took it with me. And because it's also a 'drop-proof camera, it held up pretty well when it fell out of my pocket on a bumpy trail.

This is probably the best shot from that. Doesn't bear really close scrutiny as it seems to look a little like a 'paint' filter, but I quite liked the light.

Cropped it so that the path leads you in to the shot.

Corbiere Lighthouse, Jersey.

DSCF3327 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Back to the DSLR

Golden Poison Dart frog (I think) taken through the glass at the zoo. It's a little soft. but came out pretty well considering.

IMG_2220 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

The bay at Gorey - made up of around 5-6 DSLR shots.

IMG_2274-Pano by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Your lighthouse knocks mine out of the water - lovely light and colour :)
Nice selection of images - #1 definitely my preference.

Lighthouse shot is a belter. I'd crop it square to remove some of that sky - but I do like a square :D

Lighthouse is a nice clean shot and despite the sky the lighthouse is still clearly defined.

The back-lit midget gems are great - I agree with the mouthwateringly colourful!

Lighthouse for me too - the square crop works very nicely indeed!

Choice
Great lighthouse shot, good lead-in line. I'm not sure about the square crop, I like the height in the first and the horizon on/close to the bottom ⅓.

Last edited:
Considering we live about 1/2 a mile from a local airfield, it's amazing I've never given gliding a try as an Activity...

(These were all taken from my front garden).

IMG_9146 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_9143 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Hoping to get the contrails to line up with the glider...

IMG_9209 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_9211 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_9212 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_9215 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

My favourite...

I know lens flares aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I've always had a soft spot for them.

IMG_9157 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Choice
Great lighthouse shot, good lead-in line. I'm not sure about the square crop, I like the height in the first and the horizon on/close to the bottom ⅓.

I must admit, I prefer the height of the original. And I did crop it to try and get the path to lead in and get the horizon on the bottom third.

I'm catching up here:

The sweets images are really nice, the backlit ones are the winners, really nicely done.
I also prefer the original crop of the lighthouse, it kind of 'grounds' it better for me - all are lovely though.
Great idea to go close on the broccoli, certainly plenty of texture in those
For me, the activity image is just edged by the last one with the lens flare, looks great. But, I also really like the way you've used the contrail in the second to last.

A really nice set of images.

Nice set Kell (y)
I see you were photo bombed by a red kite in #2 though :D

Nice set Kell (y)
I see you were photo bombed by a red kite in #2 though :D

It's hard to take a picture of the sky without one round here.

I did think about doing this with it, but felt it would be too contrived.

IMG_9143.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really liking the lens flare. It's nicely positioned between the glider and plane.

Texture. Bang on theme and I really like the third one.
Activity: Some good shots here and on balance I like the first the best.

Back