kestrel with new sky

10/10!

A very convincing composite where, as you
had your hands in it, you could maybe have
moved the bird off centre… to the right a tad
and higher so to increase the feeling of height!

Last edited:
Wowsy, very nice (y)

Some good Photoshop skills no doubt, but unfortunately it's not convincing me, the bird appears to be lit from above (as seen in the semi translucent feathers on the trailing edge of the wings and tail) rather than from behind (where the sun is now positioned)

There is also a fairly significant white "halo" around most of the edges of the bird

I have tried this very same thing many times, and this is far better than any of my attempts, so stick with it, but on this occasion i don't think the 2 images are compatible due to the difference in lighting

You have picked a subject which is really not suited to compositing unless you are highly skilled in PS. In flight birds will have varying opacity levels on the wing feathers so it's almost impossible to get the light and colour right in this area IMHO. The other main problem will be masking the bird realistically as the feathers will be denser in some places so a sharper mask would be required, yet you will need softer masks in areas of softer lighter feathers...

Well done for trying, but his is certainly not something I would ever try thats for sure, best I have managed is birds in trees or birds at a distance in my composites.

You have picked a subject which is really not suited to compositing unless you are highly skilled in PS. In flight birds will have varying opacity levels on the wing feathers so it's almost impossible to get the light and colour right in this area IMHO. The other main problem will be masking the bird realistically as the feathers will be denser in some places so a sharper mask would be required, yet you will need softer masks in areas of softer lighter feathers...

Well done for trying, but his is certainly not something I would ever try thats for sure, best I have managed is birds in trees or birds at a distance in my composites.

You did a pretty good 'bird on a car' mate. ;)

I agree with the lighting, it's not quite right but the idea is good and well done for giving it a go. I'd be completely lost with where to even start.

It is a really good attempt ....... I feel that it needs to be "stronger", both bg and bird and the central composition could be reviewed with the bird more to the right

the bg noise is also a little noticeable

but well done

Last edited:
Great first attempt. Photoshop is a fantastic programme the only real limits are ones imagination

Back