Kicked out of Sainsburys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone..

As the subject says, I was kicked out of sainsburys today for taking a photo!

The story behind it goes like this..

I have noticed that my local sainsburys is really dropping its standards, so i have been taking pics of things (on my iphone) of the things that have irritated me recently.

Today, i took a pic of 4 staff standing about in the isle chatting about their cars and blocking me from getting down there.

The manager ran over, told me that i was 'breaking THE law by taking photos', and when I asked "I wasnt sure if i was breaking a LAW, exactly what LAW am i breaking??", things turned mean and the eventual outcome was that i am not welcome back there.

I simply wanted to know that, as HE said i am breaking the LAW, obviously, he was more aware of the legal system than i was, and i wanted to know what law it was that i was breaking.

Needless to say, i wont be going back there, but was wondering if anyone out there knew if i was breaking a law, and if so... what one?

I am tired of being treated like a peadofile or criminal because i have a camera!

i wonder how many other people feel my pain and if anyone knows anything about what law i supposedley broke..

-daniel.

trespass. you were on private property, disobeying the rules placed by the property owner (there may well be a proper printed notice somewhere, and the manager was operating as an agent of the property owner) which is therefore technically trespass.

most businesses won't allow photography or video-taking on their private property.

lol you was taking photos on private propity without consent. I would of said i was part of a customer servay from head office collecting evidance of the stores missmanagment just to wind them up.

As much as it is frustrating - most big stores have a no photography policy - and they are after all private premises, although they do invite the public in to shop. As much as you have a number of issues with the store - they were within their rights I'd say that they request you leave the store, following your photography stint. May not have been handled well, and the manager could have explained it better - and been sympathetic - however I do think they were in the right.

I have noticed that my local sainsburys is really dropping its standards, so i have been taking pics of things (on my iphone) of the things that have irritated me recently.

surly not shopping there, would of been the best solution?

TBH thats very normal. Ive been asked more times than i can count in shops "Youre not taking photos with that are you?"

I dont doubt that they had a right to ask, i think it was more the fact that no one knew (or explained) what law i was breaking..

irritates me when people assume there is a law to hide behind and dont know what law it is that they are hiding behind.

oh, and for the record, i go to Waitrose now.

trespass. you were on private property, disobeying the rules placed by the property owner (there may well be a proper printed notice somewhere, and the manager was operating as an agent of the property owner) which is therefore technically trespass.

most businesses won't allow photography or video-taking on their private property.

They are in their rights to ask you to leave, and it is private premises, but you are assuming there is a notice banning photography - I'd bet there isn't. If you left when asked you'd be hard pushed to show trespass as you were invited on initially

Hugh

Have taken a few shots in sainsburys before with my ixus and no one has commented, but then I didn't make it overly obvious I was taking a photo.

Wether is breaking a law I wouldn't say so. I highly doubt the police would have been remotely interested, as if it was trespass then that is a civil matter and not a matter for the rozzers.

We normally shop at Sainsburys 10 mins away, over the Tesco and Morrisons in town as it always had a better range, but it has gone massively down hill (and up in price) recently so did the weekly shop in the new Tesco for the first time this week...had assumed it was just the local Sainburys being crap, but maybe it is a nationwide thing...(though I did miss being served by a human at the checkouts, rather than the machine, in ladies clothing, who seemed to think the idea was to race us and leave us no room to pack anything in a bag, and then seemingly get annoyed when we werent ready to pay once she had finished...anyway ranting now)

No law was broken. It would only be trespass if you refused to leave after being asked to.

Steve.

I think i might organise a photo event in store and see if i can get 100 people to join me ;)

I think i might organise a photo event in store and see if i can get 100 people to join me ;)

then they might organise 100 people to come to your house and take photos :)

the rule is you can take pics of anything so long as you arent on private property. They are completely within their right to boot you out.

you could purchase the food, take a photo of it and then return it.

so are we going to see any photos you took?

i have had the same...in a supermarket and in a shopping mall

their security is paramount...i demurred and switched off my camera...but kept the pics

HAHA.. i will get them off the iphone and put them up here when i get the cables to do it.. Maybe the manager was so upset because he was one of the fellas standing about with his hands in his pockets ;)

I would uphold the Great British tradition of "writing a letter" i would explain your actions and the reasons for taking the picture, i would document the managers response on the day. Write constructively in a way that makes it sound like you are advising them how to improve their service and dont be rude in any way. I'd include the dissapointment you feel and that you would consider shopping with a competitor. Finally send it to the manager himself and CC it to company's complaint department. Dont forget to ask for a response. Then sit and wait for their explanation.

Ten minutes, a bit of stationary and a stamp is a graet way of getting a response.

I'm not convinced it is trespass, at least not until you stay after they ask you to leave.

They are entitled to tell you not to take pictures and leave because you are doing so, but it would be a civil matter I think. (Though this Government have introduced criminal trespass I'm not sure even they would have included this despite their totalitarian approach)

I've taken pictures myself in Tesco to support my claim that they breach health and safety rules regarding their travelators. I helped out an accident there once and I've been very irritated by their complete lack of response to the results of that.

I did take it up with the HSE too, but nobody wants to tackle Tesco it seems.

the manager had every right to stop you taking the photos, as has been mentioned
but make a decent complaint about it and use those photos.
you can be a right pain in the arse. the manager wasn't exactly customer service orientated was he?? unless you were being a proper toerag

the photos were taken to attach to the complaint.. but not complain in a mean way, simply to point out that my experiences are more and more frequent..

Foolishly, i stayed recently at a Travelodge, and complained to the MD with photos of how dreadful the hotel room was (flooded bathroom, broken bed etc) and they gave me £200!

So, a complaint, if done correctly will make the hotel/shop better and might even get you a reward too!

On the subject of Sainsburys I was horrified to see this in my local store (no C&C required) and took a photo with my camera phone. A CCTV in the toilets!! I realise that people probably sort out their shop lifted goods in there but it is a little un-nerving non the less.

30a9pnt.jpg

CCTV in the dunnies??!?!! thats terrible!

PS. i think you just won the prize for the worst quality photo on here now ;) hehe

looking at the shake on that picture, i'd say you where there for a number two :)

been there, seen it, got the photos and a letter of apology and £50 in vouchers from Sainsburys for mis representing a TV and £35 from Next when they blocked the fire exit to my wife's shop and told me to F*** off when i pointed out their error.
The power of a well worded, constructive complaint backed up by photos is amazing ;)

you have the evidence on your phone, Write in, it will be worth your while. :)

Today, i took a pic of 4 staff standing about in the isle chatting about their cars and blocking me from getting down there.

The manager ran over,
Maybe the manager was so upset because he was one of the fellas standing about with his hands in his pockets

Which one is it? if they were chatting about cars you must have been next to them to hear, so how could the manager which you say was one of them run over?

Dont you normally say excuse me if you wish to get past someone?

If you have a complaint, i'd have thought you'd have gone to the manager rather than sending in photos.

In my opinion it all seems very sad

you guys are all rebellious

i bet you argue with a traffic cop as well

i know my place

im a manger of a supermaket, we dont allow it purely for security, people could be using them for photographing where high value stock is, where PIR's are, where alarms are etc, also as a manager, i would rather customers come up to me / phone me with issues, and if its something as important as store standards and staff under performing then Id be happy to sort the problem out, if someone just started taking pictures willy nill, then sorry but id be asking you to leave too...

as for a camera in the toilet, then thats a big no no, id imagine its just a dummy one to put customers off doing anything, i would certainly report it (ive had an incident where someone has put a wireless camera up in the loo's and been sat in the car park with a laptop)

spot on,we have big signs saying no use of camera / recording equipment

The manager has committed fraud by misrepresenting a company rule as law.

Stone him.

im a manger of a supermaket, we dont allow it purely for security, people could be using them for photographing where high value stock is, where PIR's are, where alarms are etc, also as a manager, i would rather customers come up to me / phone me with issues, and if its something as important as store standards and staff under performing then Id be happy to sort the problem out, if someone just started taking pictures willy nill, then sorry but id be asking you to leave too...

as for a camera in the toilet, then thats a big no no, id imagine its just a dummy one to put customers off doing anything, i would certainly report it (ive had an incident where someone has put a wireless camera up in the loo's and been sat in the car park with a laptop)

Well there is a wire coming out of the bottom and it doesn't look like a dummy to me. It's pointing at the sinks and if you google for "cctv" and "toilets" I think you will be quite shocked.

no worrys daniel2040, the manager could of handled it a bit better, id of asked why you were photographing and if you had said Ii was to do with some issues instore we would of gone to my office to discuss it, id email the HO and explain why you were taking the photos and the action of the manager, and like youve already done taken your custom elsewhere :)

I'm sure that there is a privacy law about CCTV in public toilets and changing rooms, that they're not supposed to be in certain places.

Re being asked to leave, you can shoot what you want in a public place, but shops etc, for all they're open to the public, they're private property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back