Kids, and the Law

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I am looking for some advice, just for the sake of knowing the facts for future.

Sunday when I turned up at an U16’s Cup final, that I was asked to do by the Manager.
A club ‘official’ for the team I was asked to take photos for, stopped me on arrival, and advised that I wasn’t permitted to take photographs, as I required permission from both teams to comply with child protection laws. I disagreed with him.

Now, my understanding is that I can turn up at any football game for any age, and take photographs WITHOUT permissions of any of the teams, this is on the basis that it is on public land i.e Council owned pitch, unless the Council, had some bylaw against it.

The only difference with this occasion was that instead of normal local playing fields, is that teams had hired a Junior club venue for the final. Now in my mind the only restriction that could be imposed would be by the ground owners, and only because it is private land, and they can impose any restrictions they see fit.

Does anyone know what the true legal stance on this is?

Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but I searched and couldn't find it.

Many Thanks.

Now, my understanding is that I can turn up at any football game for any age, and take photographs WITHOUT permissions of any of the teams, this is on the basis that it is on public land

True..You can also walk to the front of the que in the post office...No law against it.. but would you?

Your in the right legally but other than that your totally and utterly in the wrong and it just makes the job harder for the rest of us..

your photogrpahing two team.. get permission of both managers BEFORE the day where humanly possible.. and when you get there notify the ref what your doing...

Well you did ask :)

No that's great, I just wanted to know what the true legal stance was. I just like to know the rules, just so I can play by them...........

P.S. I have done photography for a junior football team, for past 2 years, and never had to ask the opposite team............that's why I wanted to know if it was something to do with it being u16's

Cheers

I always speak to parent/coaches when the teams are < 18, it puts their mind at rest, and speaks of your professionalism. Also, you might just get to hand out a few business cards!

I was asked at late notice by the Manager of one of the teams. Good to know what the etiquette is.

The team put a link on FB to my website, so good advertising.

Cheers.

The RFU actively encourage photography and I had a CRB check from organisation covering me for every club. Every club also have a safeguarding officer. I'd expect that to be the same for football clubs
As parents we had to sign each year that we agreed to photography.

Even then I bothered to introduce myself to the other team manager and had copies of my CRB available if required.

The RFU actively encourage photography and I had a CRB check from organisation covering me for every club. Every club also have a safeguarding officer. I'd expect that to be the same for football clubs
As parents we had to sign each year that we agreed to photography.

Even then I bothered to introduce myself to the other team manager and had copies of my CRB available if required.

When I first got an CRB application to shoot junior footballl ..the English FA sent me a letter stating that photogrpahers are not in the list for CRB coverage and its actually unlawful to apply for one...

PS I have done thousands of junior sports jobs.. hundreds of junior football and hundreds of school sports... not one single person has ever asked me to show a CRB or more recently the DBS ....... Must be my whole approach gives confidence in me :)

When I first got an CRB application to shoot junior footballl ..the English FA sent me a letter stating that photogrpahers are not in the list for CRB coverage and its actually unlawful to apply for one...

Anyone can apply for a DBS Basic, previously a DS Basic, it requires a specific role to apply for Standard or Enhanced, with or without child/adult barred lists, it is unlawful to apply for these checks without authority.

Last edited:
Football tends to be a bit more highly strung than rugby. A good few years ago now, I was photographing my son's team and the opposition coach got the hump. Even though he didn't know his own FA's guidelines and spouting incorrect laws, he threatened to stop the game.

After that I always got the team coach to inform the other coach.

Back