Kids Football Team Group Photos - Under Flood Lights

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I been asked if i could photo my brothers football teams for their up coming Gala program (as a favour)

About 25 teams in total, at a guess 2 rows, one standing one crouching in the front

But they have said it will be one evening, on the flood lit pitch, standing in front of goals etc

Kit I have would be Nikon D7100, Shooting RAW with my Sigma 24-70mm lens, Mounted flash and tripod (or would my 35mm f1.8 prime be better)

I have never done this type of thing, so was wondering what sort of setting would you suggest to get both rows in focus

Timewise, would you say 5 minutes a team, to line up, stop messing about and photograph

Things your asked to do because you have a camera and not a smart phone;)

I been asked if i could photo my brothers football teams for their up coming Gala program (as a favour)

About 25 teams in total, at a guess 2 rows, one standing one crouching in the front

But they have said it will be one evening, on the flood lit pitch, standing in front of goals etc

Kit I have would be Nikon D7100, Shooting RAW with my Sigma 24-70mm lens, Mounted flash and tripod (or would my 35mm f1.8 prime be better)

I have never done this type of thing, so was wondering what sort of setting would you suggest to get both rows in focus

Timewise, would you say 5 minutes a team, to line up, stop messing about and photograph

Things your asked to do because you have a camera and not a smart phone;)

First off.. Try to get them to change there mind on location... Front of goals is for 7 yr olds and every hard to get the goals looking straight with a team picture.. i find in front of the main stand (or whatever) is better and the floodlights will be brighter in middle of pitch..

25 players (not 25 teams haha)
Goalkeeper center at back stood.. EVEN number of players each side and rest along front (very important for even numbers each side of keeper..its the one difference between rushed and proper team pic)

staff at each end of back row....you will need to visual check make sure both rows as long as each other.. change number of players at each side of GK

Back row all with hand behind back
front row same knee up with two hands on

captain with armband front row..center if possible.. but front raw is there for odd amounts of players

take a picture stood.. then kneel.. then put camera on floor and point up...you will get the shot without looking through camera :) If your feeling good then go left and right and get them to turn towards you

IF they are up for it.. ask themn for a sillt pic first where they all pull a face.. gets any daft ideas out there head and makes for a good pic

PS
look out for bright coloured orange or lime green boots.. try to keep them on abck row if possible

just off the top of me head thoughts :)

oops just re read.. 25 tams then? arrgh
go for the layout as suggested.. and forget the addy on shots :)

Last edited:
That’s a great help, thanks for taking time out to reply, good point on the goal and not been in front of it.

Unfortunately it is 25 teams and not players that’s what’s got me thinking as it’s going to chaos

Take a whistle.. for when you need to attract there attention .. seriously :)

It really nice of the football people to do you a favour and permit you to photograph their teams. Maybe you should be paying them for the opportunity?

Oh !!!!!
Hang on a minute,
Its you doing them a favour and they have come to you to ask for your help.

I think you need to assert a bit here. If you dont you will end up with rubbish photos and guess who will get the blame... and all of those childrens parents will also think its your fault and not the football club being difficult.

A bit of co-operation on the clubs part would be helpful. Do they realise how much effort you will have to make to turn up with equipment, spend however long to do 25 teams and all the post work involved? Have you pointed this out to them? Have you explained to them why daylight would be better, that 25 in an evening is a lot to fit in, that the shadows on the kids faces will look s*** and the goal posts will be growing out of their heads?

What happens to the photos once they are taken? Are they going out as .jpg files to the children and parents for free? Are they going to sell them?

Look, its really really nice of you to be willing to do this. It may be fun and quite fulfilling.
BUT you need to stand your ground and assert here about where and how its going to be run. You are not one of the kids they are used to bossing around. I mean that in the most helpful and supportive way.

"They have said..." is worrying. Where is "They and I have discussed...."?

Last edited:
Its a amateur football club, and I'm not a photographer, just a person with a keen interest, more in landscape than portrait

The photos are not been sold, its just to insert a small image of each team in to the program they sell for their annual football gala match day, previously they have just used photos taken by a family member or the coach, though i think a old parent did do a similar photo meet

There is a fair bit to do, due to all the teams involved, been young and most likely messing about, but they don't need National Geographic standard photos

great suggestions on where and when photos are taken, as said in front of goals, and those been not straight and posts coming out of the heads, and the flood light shadows etc makes it harder, hopefully a flash will help fill those where needed

Kipax advice is the one to listen to but I done this for a local kids tournament and found, laying down some kind of markers for them to stand on made the whole thing a lot quicker.

I ended up using a pitchline and then 3 bibs and a ball, bibs back centre for keeper/captain, either side for staff(staff picked it up or moved and replaced after) and ball centre front for keeper/captain (keepers were issue as some were the smallest player, made image look strange having small player centre back)

But the basics were as they walked in it was way easier to get them set and also able to keep the camera pretty much the same spot and everything in each pic looked uniformed etc but mostly time wise saved a load as it was a little conveyor belt once a few done it the rest just followed and went right into position, a little tweak of players was all that was needed.

I would go with centre pitch or stadium or something, most junior pitches don’t have the amount of floodlights a pro stadium does and you will get awful shadows and be pushing high iso.

Can/could you use seats/chairs ?

the flood lit pitch is a astro turf one at a school, this particular club plays at a local stadium with seating so i might suggest that been a better location, but it would depend on availability etc

Lots to go on with, thanks all for the suggestions and advice

Back