Kilchurn Castle and photography tour.

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Kilchurn Castle is top of my photography bucket list for the UK. I would love to get that stunning light at sunrise and the perfect reflection. Or, a dark and moody version. I am hoping to go and visit maybe later in the year or early next year, couple of nights in a cheap B&B. I then want to go and get some other stunning shots throught the day and sunset, and possibly an astro/milky way shot somewhere. Where is best for dark skies with a foreground interest?

I was thinking, drive up (5 hours), stay in B&B, up early for Kilchurn Castle, drive across to Castle stalker (A85), then onto Glencoe (Glen Etive pools???) A828, head towards Fort William A82 and stay over somewhere. Sunrise at Corpach shipwreck, head south for home (NE England) and capture something enroute home . Im not wanting to go any further north or to Skye this trip.

I know nothing about this area of Scotland, the logisitics of travel, any tolls or driving conditions, how much walking is involved from the car to each photography point, where to stay that will allow late night entry and early morning leave. Anything else ive not mentioned or needs considering? I dont want to climb mountains or trek for miles.

Its beena really tough 2020 for me and my mental health isnt good. Ive lost my mum and the loneliness of working from home for the past 6 months is really getting me down. I need to get out and clear my head, and this sort of trip will do wonders for me. As long as i dont physically exhaust myself.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Why not book an airbnb?
Then you can come and go as you please.
Fairy pools are on Sky.
Kilchurn Castle and Castle Stalker are pretty much at opposite ends with Glencoe in the middle.
I'd recommend the photographing Scotland book

And this one too....

Last edited:

I was thinking of these pools? Do they have a name?

Sounds like a plan and it will help with your wellbeing too, it's a stunning, remote area and whilst there are sometimes lots of people about, it's very easy to lose yourself, particularly in Glencoe as it's a huge area.

In my experience of Kilchurn, very early morning is best. It's a big body of water and it's rarely completely still in the times I've been there but it does happen, patience is the key. I think it works better with some light snow on the hills behind and some low mist behind it ( the mist helps hide the pylons :rolleyes:) and personally, I'd try to get there on a weekday, there's a good chance you'll have it all to yourself. IMO, it has to be a reflection shot, although there are plenty of other images to be had there. I've been a few times now but only once have I gotten any decent light, back in January this year. Watch out for the bogs, one got me a few years back, not a pleasant experience. If you turn to your left after crossing the style, that pathway is generally better. The land owner can be a bit of a grump if he turns up but be decent with him and he'll reciprocate. Ducks can ruin the reflections but they weren't there last time. It's also popular with fishing folk.

I think Castle Stalker is best at sunset although I stand to be corrected.

Fairy Pools are on Skye, unless there are some in Glencoe that I've missed.

If you're going to Fort William, you're only about 40 minutes from Glenfinnan Viaduct, the steam train goes over in the mornings and returns in the afternoon. I'd check timings though as I'm not sure if it's the same time all the time.

Heading back through Glencoe is a must, but IMO, it's an all dayer, for sunrise and sunset. You'll get Rannoch Moor too and Lochan n ah aclaise, hopefully it will be still. Then down to Loch Tulla.

There are so many opportunities in the Glen, bag your sunrise shots, explore, then bag the sunset shots. For me, sunrise is best spent either at Lochan n ah Aclaise or Buachaille Etive Mor, or even Lochan nah Fola. There are the classic shots to be had or a bit of exploring will reward you with some not so common compositions. Turn in at the ski centre for the cottage shot.

Don't forget Glen Etive, bit of a trek down to the loch but in the right conditions, stunning when you get there. You will almost definately get red deer in Glen Etive too and there are plenty of other things to see on the way to the loch.

I'm fortunate not to live too far away from it all, so I can do day trips but if your heading out 5 hours, then Glencoe alone is worth a 2 or 3 days in itself.

I was thinking of these pools? Do they have a name?

Those falls are just off the A82, turn into Glen Etive, drive for about 3/4 mile, you'll come to a bridge, park there and head on foot towards Buachaille Etive Mor ( the really big hill that you won't miss) for about 50 metres, the falls are there. Again, watch for the bogs.

Thanks Dale. Ive always admired your photography and your photo threads were the first to come up when I searched.

Thanks Dale. Ive always admired your photography and your photo threads were the first to come up when I searched.

There are far better images of the area out there than mine. I’m only just getting to know the places you mention myself and how the light interacts with them. To be fair, it’s such a magical place, it’s pretty difficult to come away without at least one keeper.

The book Bob mentions is well worth it too.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you enjoy your trip and I look forward to the results.

Sounds like a good plan. But I'd mention a couple of things that are worth bearing in mind. Weather is pretty unpredictable so I'd try not to go there with a particular image in mind as unless you're very lucky, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. I go to Glen Coe a lot and am yet to get a clear night for star photography but it's an area that looks great in any weather so I'm not complaining.

Kilchurn 'classic' view is shot from the river bank which is maybe a 5 minute trek along a path from where you'd park up. It can be quite muddy, might be worth considering wellies.

Stalker is normally shot from the beach which again, is just a short walk from parking. There are other views to be had from further away on the road back towards Kinlochleven.

Personally I'd opt to stay in Glen Coe rather than Fort william (just don't like the place!). I like the Clachaig Inn but the Kingshouse is nice too and there are various other options scattered around including the ski centre and YHA as well as camping if that's your thing. If you want to photo the shipwreck, it's only a 30 min drive back to FW. Shortish walk again from where you can park. All paved.

Only other thing I would suggest is not to try to squeeze too much in. It's quite a big drive from Kilchurn to Stalker and then around to Glen Coe. My inclination would be to sack off stalker, and head up through glen coe from Kilchurn. You'll see some amazing spots heading in this way that you might otherwise miss out on. A couple of isolated cottages and Buchaille etive mor as well as Glen Etive (worth a detour). As well as the waterfall you mentioned (not that great a spot IMO) All of these places are highly accessible. A little too accessible maybe as a lot are getting quite churned up!

Could always head back south via stalker if you're determined to fit it in but it's a bit out on a limb.

It is, but it only takes 20-25 mins to get there from Glencoe village.

Yep but another half an hour further home from there too. I really only say this as Glen Coe and glen etive are stuffed full of interesting places so if I only had one day I wouldn’t be trying to squeeze Stalker in too.

Head up and spend the day around the Etive area then Head to Caol for the the Corpach wreck, find a b&b. Next day head back to Ballachulish and get on the a828 road to Stalker then head to the fairy bridge near to Creagan then on to Kilchurn and home. It's a big circular loop. Split it into as many days as you need.

Back