Killer Whales

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
Nothing great photographically - but a fantastic sight to see! A pod of around 10 spent the whole day very close to shore - I took most of these in the carpark at Tesco in Shetland.

Orcas, Lerwick, Shetland by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Drone footage from another watcher..
View: https://www.facebook.com/nick.mccaffrey.75/videos/10154396690074184/

Last edited:
Wow what a sight. Would love to of seen that and like you say it's not always about getting the perfect shot, just watching is a memory enough. Having said that I love the first and last of your shots.

Fantastic ... not the sort of sight I get from my local Tesco! :D
Last shot is fantastic ... also good to read about mrs crieffy in the latest RSPB magazine :)

Very cool #4!
Great chance well taken!

Wow, what a sight that must have been - fantastic shots, especially the last shot.

What a treat that must have been. Nice set of images and that last one is a cracker.

Saw a video about this on social media last night - looked amazing! Really must get to Scotland for Orca watch one year - need to win the lottery and get rid of this pesky job thing and just do fun whale stuff!

Wow, what an experience that must have been. Never been lucky enough to see them and I am jealous. The last shot is a cracker.

Superb, thanks so much for sharing. Must have been a complete privilege to see such an event.

Fantastic ... not the sort of sight I get from my local Tesco! :D
Last shot is fantastic ... also good to read about mrs crieffy in the latest RSPB magazine :)

I'll have to take a peek! Little Sis I'm in Amateur Photographer this week - Puffin pic

Saw a video about this on social media last night - looked amazing! Really must get to Scotland for Orca watch one year - need to win the lottery and get rid of this pesky job thing and just do fun whale stuff!

Have you seen the drone footage? Pretty cool!

Good set and I love the last one especially. I've not considered taking my camera when I go shopping but then agan the view from Bognor Regis Tesco never gets this interesting.

but a fantastic sight to see! A pod of around 10 spent the whole day very close to shore - I took most of these in the carpark at Tesco in Shetland.

Fantastic sight it certainly is and not often the words "killer whales" and "Tesco car park" can be strung together.

Fantastic to see though, regardless of the photos.

Killer Whales from Tesco car park. Amazing. The last shot is good, and like you say the experience must have been fantastic.

What a great thing to see!
You've caught the event well. :)

Missed this post John....what a sight for you all.
Hope your Otters are doing well not seen anything from you lately on them

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of Otter guiding, so have seen loads of Otters - but not photographed any myself as it's all about the client. Seen some amazing behaviour, Otters eating rabbits, octopus, huge fish - bit annoying, lol. Hopefully get a few days to myself on them soon though! :)

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of Otter guiding, so have seen loads of Otters - but not photographed any myself as it's all about the client. Seen some amazing behaviour, Otters eating rabbits, octopus, huge fish - bit annoying, lol. Hopefully get a few days to myself on them soon though! :)
Keep up the good work

always wanted to see orcas. Are they up in Shetland quite often? It's only a ferry ride from here (aberdeen)

always wanted to see orcas. Are they up in Shetland quite often? It's only a ferry ride from here (aberdeen)

Been a particularly good summer for them this year - hunting seals, porpoise and eider ducks extremely close to the shore. They've been around constantly for the last couple of weeks. But like all wildlife, there are still no guarantees.
There's a Facebook page dedicated to sightings > https://www.facebook.com/groups/shetlandorcasightings/

John

Nice shots! Amazing how many photographers you have caught on these too. I'm in Orkney and I have never manage to see them, they seems to spend time in caithness and shetland and only pass by orkney.... Hopefully some day i will see them by myself.

Back