Kingfisher advice, please....

RedRobin

Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have come across an ideal photography spot where I'm told by locals that Kingfishers hang out. It's about 40 minutes walk from home in coastal West Dorset. Asking locals when they saw them doesn't really give practical answers.

Can anyone advise me please what time of day and what times of year are good for finding Kingfishers out on a branch fishing?

Many Thanks,
Robin :)

I am watching 2 pairs of kingfishers at the minute on our local river, both of which are feeding chicks in the nest. I know where both nests are but have stayed away from them so as not to draw attention to where they are. I have found they they are really active early in the mornings, I have went down a few mornings at 6am to watch them and get a few shots though struggle with high iso and low shutter speeds as I only have a 150-500 sigma that is f6.4 at the long end. I have also found a dead tree that lies out into the river that they use regularly for washing themselves and preening on and I have got a few decent shots here a couple of evenings when the light has been good. I use a large camoflage net to build a temporary hide and it seems to work. There is a few shots in my flickr photostream if you click below. It tskes lots of patience and time to work out their habits and favourite spots but they are a pleasure to watch and even in poor light I will leave the camera at home and just go fown to watch them.
One question, do they use the same nest for second and third broods in the same season or do they build a new one?

Phil

Now would be a good time to see them fishing as they will likely be feeding youngsters.
They do come back to previous nest sites as long as the nests are not disturbed ... remember that you must not encroach upon a nest site so you will need to find a place where they are feeding but not directly near the site of the nest. They will feed throughout the day and a carefully placed 'perch' will often prove to be useful both to kingfisher and photographer :)

Thanks, guys.

I absolutely agree of course about not disturbing a nest site. This location is a small lake / large pond with reed beds and a number of perches overhanging the water have been installed and used by Kingfishers.

I have a Baghide and tripod, so it seems that I just need hours of patience.

Robin,when kingfishers are feeding young they start just after first light and continue right up until early evening ,I have sat and watched on many occasion to the point were I got shots at 06.00am and 18.00pm ,different factors ,ie weather ,fishing conditions ,human disturbance all play a part ,also it is not illegal to photograph kingfishers near a nest site ,just need to use common sense .plenty of info on the net about it.....My kingfishers last year used the same nest for the second brood ,even though the male did start another one not to far away .

Last edited:
I was down this morning again just after 6am watching one of my pairs and they were busy feeding at that time. they have been feeding over 2 weeks now so the chicks will probably be fledging soon.

Back