Kingfisher with Fish

Edit My Images
No
This is my favourite bird to photograph, and the hardest, for me anyway, to get the colours looking natural on the web.

It's got a rather large 'Bullknob' or whatever you want to call it which it's about to give to one of the young. Don't know how they can take something so big really.

King1.jpg

Wow! Really great shot with a lovely clean background. Im hoping to stake out a Kingfisher nesting site when the season is right and try and get some shots like this. (y)

Thank's for the quick replies.

Messiah Khan, don' know if you know this but you will need a license (disturbance) if you are 'at or near the nest site' from 'English Nature'

Excellent shot.

Wonderful shot.

I went looking for some today, they were flitting up and down the river but never looked like taking a break and sitting still for me :)

BTW, I think the fish is a "bullhead"

Steve

Wow. How long were you waiting for that one? What gear and inparticular, what lens did you use for that one?

Wonderful! You are right... nearly all the kingfishers I see on here look too blue. You have got it just right with the turquoise. (y)

Very nicely caught (y)

Wonderful! You are right... nearly all the kingfishers I see on here look too blue. You have got it just right with the turquoise. (y)

Thank's Janice, that'll be a first for me then.:)

Dangleman, without looking I think I used a Sigma 100-300 or could of been a Sigma 50-500 that I used to have. Either way I was in a hide and about 8ft or so from the perch I had put in the river. The hide was also in the river but it was only 4-5 inches deep.

Great catch, i mean the photographer not the Kingfisher.
I have been after a pair of these at my local lake for some two weeks now, and i cannot get a decent shot, so you done really well here.
Nice one.(y)

Superb effort! Must go out looking for some of these one day soon. I gather the accepted techinque is to observe your target water, find where the birds commonly perch, hide nearby and wait?

My technique is to find a nesting pair, not that easy to find an out of the way nest site like mine was, ie, no public footpaths, walkers etc. Of course you then need a license.

I then setup my own perch and they used it all the time.

Fantastic shot....
On another point...
Im hoping to stake out a Kingfisher nesting site when the season is right and try and get some shots like this. (y)

Messiah just Remember that you can only photograph the Feeding perch and not anywhere near its nesting site, otherwise you need to apply for a Schedule 1 license under the wildlife and countryside act 1981.

To apply you would also need a portfolio of (Sorry this should have said commoner Species Shot During the Breading season)protected species you have shot and 2 references 1 from another registered license holder.

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/conservation/wildlife-management-licensing/default.htm

Stunning :clap:

Fantastic shot....
On another point...

Messiah just Remember that you can only photograph the Feeding perch and not anywhere near its nesting site, otherwise you need to apply for a Schedule 1 license under the wildlife and countryside act 1981.

To apply you would also need a portfolio of protected species you have shot and 2 references 1 from another registered license holder.

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/conservation/wildlife-management-licensing/default.htm

is it me but do I sense a touch of catch 22 in this licence application? :rules: :thinking:

Fabulous shot Mick, I suspect I've viewed your work before, I may be wrong but did you use to post on photographers.co.uk. ??

Dean

Yes I did, and I remember you. I think you commented on a shot or two of mine, Landscapes iirc.

is it me but do I sense a touch of catch 22 in this licence application? :rules: :thinking:

Dave, do you mean the bit about needing a portfolio of protected species that you need a license for in the first place.

Well you need a license to photograph 'at or near the nestsite' so obviously during the nesting season. Just how close 'near' is I don't know but you would have to photograph them out of the nesting season I suppose.

The rules must of changed since I first applied for mine as I remember I had to submit 5 or 6 similar types of shots that I was planning on getting. None of mine were protected species.

Wow! Really great shot with a lovely clean background. Im hoping to stake out a Kingfisher nesting site when the season is right and try and get some shots like this. (y)

Remember you will need to be licensed to photograph them actually at a nest site!! - bah beaten to it!

Great shot....weather permitted I'm off to my new best place to see these tomorrow....can hopefully get in range with 200mm will be plenty for a full frame shot if I remember my camo :D

Remember you will need to be licensed to photograph them actually at a nest site!! - bah beaten to it!

Great shot....weather permitted I'm off to my new best place to see these tomorrow....can hopefully get in range with 200mm will be plenty for a full frame shot if I remember my camo :D

You must have really good camo to get a frame filling shot at 200mm. Is it invisible spraypaint or something.:)

Yes I did, and I remember you. I think you commented on a shot or two of mine, Landscapes iirc.

Hi Mick its great to see your shots again, if I remember you had some wonderful landscapes, but the feeding buzzards really stick in my mind, I think the good people on this forum would appreciate those shots !!(y)

Dean

Hi Mick its great to see your shots again, if I remember you had some wonderful landscapes, but the feeding buzzards really stick in my mind, I think the good people on this forum would appreciate those shots !!(y)

Dean

Thank's Dean, I'm still photographing the Buzzards from the same hide I built a few years ago. Only difference now is I fall sleep in it a lot quicker than I used to.:LOL:

Amazing! One of the best Kingfisher shots I've seen, seriously :clap: Fantastic colours and great separation from the background

The thing is you can shoot protected species out of season even near there nest site,
I made an error on portfolio its submit commoner species pics you took during the breading season to show your experience.
The thing about the licenses is not to shoot them but to limit disturbance around there nest site as they may abandon the nest site and as such the population declines as they may not have time for another attempt.
Barn owls are also on the list. This license is about disturbing them if they are well away from there nest site you are fine.
One of the species of bird that cannot be disturbed even out of the breeding season is the white tailed eagle.

Back