kingfishers. at fairburn ings

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone know if there are many about this year been try to get some pics for a couple of years but other than lots of backends still trying :) are they more active early morning

Cheers jd

A couple of weeks ago the RSPB website said "The kingfisher has been seen pretty much every day for the last few weeks, usually the male, and usually at the Kingfisher Screen. If you hang around there long enough the kingfisher is likely to make an appearance."

I've been up there a few times, but never even got a glimpse of one. :(

I was lucky enough to go a couple of weeks ago and got pointed towards the screen. After a long wait (apparently there are regular gaps between feeding) I spotted the kingfisher and was even lucky enough to capture it with a fish in it's mouth. Take a longish lens though as at 300mm mine just wasn't big enough to even attempt to use the images.

Seems like my early Sat morning is sorted thanks for the info guys

How long is a "long wait"?
About 1/2 hour which I isn't that long really but I had been tipped off about when to head there by someone I got talking to. I think he'd seen it last feeding and added an hour or however long to its repeat visit. I'm in no way an expert though - it was my first real visit with the camera.

spent 4 hours there the other day and no sighting at the screen. Managed a sighting of a female in front of the pickup hide, but would have wanted the hubble telescope to get a decent shot.
I have visited Fairburn many times, it is very hit and miss i'm afraid

Back