Kittiwake

Lovely specimen shot of the bird, Phil

very good control of the whites and well done with the processing

looking for critique here ...... shame a little about the rocks on the bottom left ........ to my mind, (which I'm sure won't be to everyones), they slightly "unbalance" the overall image, and the OOF, which is normal, does catch the eye, (maybe try reducing the bg OOF rock a little and see what you think) ...... ........ the direct perch is good

but again you can't have everything

Last edited:

I just checked, no chance to see these cool fellow down here

shame a little about the rocks on the bottom left
Would this be more to your liking, Bill?
…if you don't mind Phil?

Kittiwake.jpeg

Lovely image Phil, especially being at eye level, so many of these are below you around Bempton so this was a good find. :)

Lovely eye level pose Phil and excellent control on the whites, especially against that deep blue BG, really pops. I also like the detail in the red ring around the eye - razor sharp. If you have it I'd prefer just a little more space above and possibly below the bird to loosen the crop off a touch but all else is good. Losing the rock does neaten the shot up as well - personal choice.

Mike

Absolute belter.

Thanks Keith

Lovely specimen shot of the bird, Phil

very good control of the whites and well done with the processing

looking for critique here ...... shame a little about the rocks on the bottom left ........ to my mind, (which I'm sure won't be to everyones), they slightly "unbalance" the overall image, and the OOF, which is normal, does catch the eye, (maybe try reducing the bg OOF rock a little and see what you think) ...... ........ the direct perch is good

but again you can't have everything

Thanks Bill, agree, the oof rocks do catch the eye. The one in the bg actually catches my eye before the fg one, must just be the way I look at an image because I've noticed before on other images. I may have a go at cloning the rear, see what it looks like, cheers.

I just checked, no chance to see these cool fellow down here

Would this be more to your liking, Bill?
…if you don't mind Phi

Don't mind at all Daniel, good effort but its very noticeable the area's been cloned, I wouldn't be happy with that as an end result.

Lovely image Phil, especially being at eye level, so many of these are below you around Bempton so this was a good find. :)

Thanks Roger, this was taken at a little spot that's 'supposedly' out of bounds, but apparently can't and isn't enforced. If it hadn't been for the locals I wouldn't have known about it :)

Lovely eye level pose Phil and excellent control on the whites, especially against that deep blue BG, really pops. I also like the detail in the red ring around the eye - razor sharp. If you have it I'd prefer just a little more space above and possibly below the bird to loosen the crop off a touch but all else is good. Losing the rock does neaten the shot up as well - personal choice.

Mike

Thanks Mike, yes, it bugged me too, I did think it was a little tight at the foot but I've nothing else below the crop. A little more above and to the left but I cropped to try balance the shot with the bird set to the left, looking to the right.

Its a great spot for photos, good afternoon light with the cliffs casting shadows on the sea, giving good contrast without the need to manipulate the bg, cheers

Last edited:
Think I'd go for something like this Phil .......... trying to get more "balance" in the shot and although OOF areas in the bg and fg can be good and useful ... I think that they distract in this shot .. trying to lead the eye away from the rocks .. if they distract .. also going for a different crop reduces the relative proportions of the rock versus the rest .. if yu see what I mean

but it's only my view and as you have worked on the bg you may as well have a go on the "rocks"

It's a really good shot with an attractive feel to the bird

(bg maybe a bit patchy and the rock edge may need a little more work ......in my edit)

balance.jpg

Last edited:
Think I'd go for something like this Phil .......... trying to get more "balance" in the shot and although OOF areas in the bg and fg can be good and useful ... I think that they distract in this shot .. trying to lead the eye away from the rocks .. if they distract .. also going for a different crop reduces the relative proportions of the rock versus the rest .. if yu see what I mean

but it's only my view and as you have worked on the bg you may as well have a go on the "rocks"

It's a really good shot with an attractive feel to the bird

(bg maybe a bit patchy and the rock edge may need a little more work ......in my edit)

Thanks Bill, the crop actually works well, which I'll be honest, surprises me, a little more work on the distracting rocks and it would be a big improvement, cheers

I think it's a corker too Phil ,I have been musing the thoughts too. for me ya nailed it but let yourself down with the framing,which is brutally harsh but once one is close framing is brutal,that's the bit I'd be slapping myself over I want just a smidge more below. Second and thinking this through could you have upped iso to grab more dof on those rocks. I do like them in that corner mate the way they work but I am a bit unsure about the removals.

finally is it possible to lighten the feet slightly?

Phil this is a bird of my childhood it's a particularly resonant image for me .The pov and dark of the sea are fabulous as is the red around the eye I've opened with crit but it is a belter,you have done really well

TFS

stu

I think it's a corker too Phil ,I have been musing the thoughts too. for me ya nailed it but let yourself down with the framing,which is brutally harsh but once one is close framing is brutal,that's the bit I'd be slapping myself over I want just a smidge more below. Second and thinking this through could you have upped iso to grab more dof on those rocks. I do like them in that corner mate the way they work but I am a bit unsure about the removals.

finally is it possible to lighten the feet slightly?

Phil this is a bird of my childhood it's a particularly resonant image for me .The pov and dark of the sea are fabulous as is the red around the eye I've opened with crit but it is a belter,you have done really well

TFS

stu

Many thanks Stu, agree mate, its definitely on the close side at the bottom, its one of those ya don't see until its too late! 9 times out of 10 I have the centre focus point active and move it if need be, this is one of those occasions it needed moving and I didn't :banghead:

And again Stu, I definitely could have got more dof, the shot was took at ISO 250 @f8, I would have happily upped 2 stops to ISO 1000 giving f16 and more dof...........but :rolleyes::D

Yes, could lighten the legs Stu, good call, when I do a re-edit I'll have a look see how it looks, cheers (y)

Agreed on the 9 out of 10 bro I don't see it!! That bit is trashing me hence the word brutal, it's pretty much the bit that we should just nail .It is way harder to do what you have done with exposure here,all that is needed is spot on framing.But so much is going on at shutter press the supposedly . easy bit clobbers one it frustrates me buddy. Your frame here is not as bad as the mistakes I make but nailing it is a worthy path to try for

belucky me old mate hope you are good

stu

Back