Kneepads, which one?

Name
Wail
Edit My Images
No
Doing various close-up and macro shots while out hiking; I got the idea to use kneepads to support my knees (age taking a toll here).

Checking on Amazon, it's brought me a long list of such pads .. any recommendations as to which is best suited for when I'm on my knees, are they all the same or some are made for different uses?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Id go for the ones with the elasticated strapping, the ones from Nailer look good. The only downside is you need to wear them over trousers or similar as the strapping can irritate you legs

Edit:

I use similar to the Nailer G2's very comfortable

Thanks Andy (y)

I'd definitely be wearing them over trousers as I'd use them when out on hiking.

I'll ask the wife what ones she buys me :D

I've started using a fishing unhooking mat - there padded and waterproof and it rolls up like a bed roll and clips on the bottom of my rucksack.

t_16221_01.jpg

:agree: thats not a bad idea :)

I find any of the kneepads which strap on get very uncomfortable after a while. Have a look at Snickers workwear. They do trousers with a kneepad pocket, much more comfortable for prolonged use. I leave the kneepads in mine all day 5 days a week.

I'll ask the wife what ones she buys me :D

That God, I'm not the only one having to endure this :p

I've started using a fishing unhooking mat - there padded and waterproof and it rolls up like a bed roll and clips on the bottom of my rucksack.

t_16221_01.jpg

I find any of the kneepads which strap on get very uncomfortable after a while. Have a look at Snickers workwear. They do trousers with a kneepad pocket, much more comfortable for prolonged use. I leave the kneepads in mine all day 5 days a week.

This is interesting, the fishing unhooking mat. The only thing, I am out in the desert where there are loads of little rocks and what have you. I'd much rather not have something like that which covers a large area.

I was thinking of using a couple of small bean bags :shrug: :thinking:; as I do agree with your point, by the looks of it these knee pads can get uncomfortable.

I find any of the kneepads which strap on get very uncomfortable after a while.

Yes, and they tend to slip down too if you don't have them done up tight enough. Do them up too tight and then your toes turn blue :D

The better ones are the sort with the elasticate "knee sock", but they are all a pain in the butt if you are mainly walking/running, then just kneeling to take a shot.

I've had loads of these, but in the end bought some trousers that have the inner pocket and put some cut up camping "roll matt" in them.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh a subject at which I am an expert.

I use these everyday and are fantastic.

linky

Velcro fastening for ease of use and they are the best I have had in 25 years.

Blackhawk...and they come in a nice 'desert' tan - called 'Coyote'-Brown...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Advanced-Tactical-Knee-Pads-V2,168,9.htm

...and you know that I wouldn't recommend these if I hadn't used them for the past six months...

Thank you (y)

I am sure you've tried these to their extreme limits. Can I ask, are these suited for kneeling down on them or are they just good knee pads to absorb shock from being hit?

How do they measure up in heated environment? Afghanistan would be much like Saudi, desert, hot, sand, and here it's humid too!

Why dont you consider a pair of work trousers from someone like dickies? they often have pockets in the knees where you can insert lightweight foam knee pads.

http://www.dickiesworkwear.com/catalogue/trousers/industry300/IN30030/two-tone-work-trousers.html

Yes, and they tend to slip down too if you don't have them done up tight enough. Do them up too tight and then your toes turn blue :D

The better ones are the sort with the elasticate "knee sock", but they are all a pain in the butt if you are mainly walking/running, then just kneeling to take a shot.

I've had loads of these, but in the end bought some trousers that have the inner pocket and put some cut up camping "roll matt" in them.

Thank you both for the suggestion of the trousers

I'd much rather have trousers which I am very comfortable in hiking in, something that I've tried for a good while; and when needed, just sling the pads on and crouch down for the shot!

To explain a bit more, we go hiking for a few hours (4 ~ 6 at most), temperatures can run as high as 50C, and every now and then I see something at ground level that I want to shoot at close-up or macro. For this, I'd like to just put something on to help my ageing knees from aching, so that when I crouch down I'm not pushing my knees against the rocks!

At most, I'd be in that position for 30 minutes then we'd off to continue our walk where I don't need the pads on until the next shoot opportunity!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh a subject at which I am an expert.

I use these everyday and are fantastic.

linky

Velcro fastening for ease of use and they are the best I have had in 25 years.

Great (y), do you mind seeing my comments to Arkady and let me know how, if, these are suited to my environment.

If you are not travelling too far how about a kneeling stool:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Lt...459401?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1267434449&sr=8-2

You can also turn it the other way up and sit on it. Very light. Kneeling pad is closed cell foam.

Thank you, but a bit too bulky to carry where I go!

hiking + knee pads = bad times, they'll be round your ankles half the time and your'll be forever pulling them up.
I'd definitely consider some trousers with knee pads sewn in.

So true, and hence why I wouldn't want to be wearing them all the time. I want something that is easy to put on and remove, something I could hang from my backpack / camera bag when not in use then wear as and when needed.

I've had Blackhawk's, Alta's, Hatch's... you name it, I've tried it. They are all a pain to walk in - lovely when you kneel down though :D

If its photography you want it for and just as you describe, I'd go with something like this instead:

http://www.soviet-propaganda.com/in...id=234&zenid=7df81c22b75d8a9e2c8c547e386a0944

(thats actually meant to make riding on the top of a BTR more comfy :D, but it will do for this too - and folds down small!)

Oh and you won't look like some member of Spetzgruppa "Viytaz" on holiday either :D

Thank you (y)

Great (y), do you mind seeing my comments to Arkady and let me know how, if, these are suited to my environment.

Perfect for what you kneed :)lol:).

I wear mine for up to 10 hours a day no problem. pretty lightweight too so when you are about to start hiking, unfasten them slip them in your rucksack and away you go.

Most of us push them down to the ankle when 'tabbing' about for extended periods and slide them back up to the knee when needed...the Blackhawks are pretty good, though no matter how good they are - if you wrap a bit of neoprene and plastic around yourself in hot environment, you're going to sweat...lol

Just wear one - people only tend to kneel down on one knee anyway and you'll look less like a spazz...

you'll look less like a spazz...

Spazz? You mean "Spetsnaz"
ninja.gif

LOL

Your description of how you use them Rob fits with my own thoughts... but as a photographer, the need to suddenly get down and rock n roll in an instant isn't there, therefore the nastyness of the kneepads for walking around in is a unnecessary one.

The sit mat is a better bet for photography IMHO

Thank you for all the suggestions and links.

Of the three different methods, kneepads, floor pads and trousers, I am inclined to go with the kneepads.

Again, thank you all for your input and for the various links.

Just wear one - people only tend to kneel down on one knee anyway and you'll look less like a spazz...

You obviously don't know how badly I wibble & wobble, and that's on two knees. Make me use one and I'll most likely end up toppling in to a snakes' borrow.

Back