Kodachrome & Ektachrome Scanfest!

PMN

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
'Afternoon all,

I'll start by saying I'm not really sure where I actually stand with this post with regard to the forum rules!

Basically I've always been fascinated by old images and fascinated by scanning, in the last few years I've also developed a huge fascination with film photography (having started properly on digital). Last year I started buying collections of old slides on eBay for several reasons, so I could have a nosy at some old stuff, so I could at least party experience films I'll sadly never get to shoot and also so I could see what I could pull out of them in scanning. I can't claim to own the copyright as it wasn't specifically passed on in the sale but I'm working on the assumption that the people who took the images either didn't care for them anymore or passed away, I'm also working on the assumption if that's the case there shouldn't be any problems with me posting them on the Internet as long as I clearly state they were acquired via legitimate means and weren't taken by myself.

Anyway, I've spent today throwing some of them on the scanner and seeing what I can get, it's really quite incredible to sit watching an image appear from a 55 year old piece of film that looks better than a lot of digital stuff today!

So, enough babbling, on with some photos. Admin/mods (or anyone else who has any objection), just let me know if I am actually breaking any rules in posting these and I'll happily remove them but if I'm okay posting them hopefully they'll be of some interest! I've included the type of film and as much info as is written on the slides.

Ektachrome. Madrid, December 1967.

MijU0N8.jpg

Kodachrome. May 1967.

OZ7D3rj.jpg

Kodachrome. January 1960.

jvlBWGK.jpg

Kodachrome. Seattle, 17th August 1959.

WUN4HzY.jpg

Kodachrome. 1965.

26LLuBv.jpg

Kodachrome. November 1960.

O41laAC.jpg

If these are okay to be posted and if they're of interest I'll post more as I go through them. :)

Last edited:
I like them

Very good condition for the age and some interesting time warp content

All part of someones life

(y)

Thanks Allen! Them being a part of someone's life is partly what fascinates me. My own images are very important to me as a record of where I've been, what I've seen, experienced and felt, and I very much look on these old images in a similar way. It's like a glimpse into someone else's world, and even though the people in the photos might not still be here with us I find it amazing how certain moments of their lives still are with us in such images.

Thanks for the comment. :)

The woman on the beach scan has amazing colours

These are very cool; I can only hope that my own film photos hold up as well after as many years.

Do post more.

I've read somewhere that Kodachrome is estimated to last about 125 years before it's get a small yellow cast....mine are still excellent after 50 years stored at room temperature, and my colour negs are still good as well.

They look to be correctly well exposed.

I had very few failures back in my Contax days, as far as I can remember.

I really like these, I find them fascinating and I really miss Kodachrome :(

I like these real social history.

That first shot was from the month I was born.

I like these real social history.

That first shot was from the month I was born.

Well as you youngens are interested in us oldens shots..do you like my car.....oh forgot, the girl in the picture become my wife.

I scanned this a few years ago and must have been drunk to produce a result like this....... :eek:

I scanned some old Kodachrome slides for my sister yesterday, and it got me thinking about my own old Kodachrome and Ektachrome slides. I've scanned the lot, and the hit rate seemed MUCH higher than my current success rate. I vaguely remember there are gaps in the slide sequences, so perhaps there had been some serious weeding long ago. And maybe shooting mainly in Oz/NZ had something to do with it, too!

That first one reminds me of an exhibition I went to at the Mining museum.

It was John Bulmer Northern Soul.

Not sure if all the colour ones are all Kodachrome but it was the definitive film of the time.

Particularly these NORTH UK

just fabulous pictures..:shrug:

Well as you youngens are interested in us oldens shots..do you like my car.....oh forgot, the girl in the picture become my wife.

I scanned this a few years ago and must have been drunk to produce a result like this....... :eek:

Ford Capri!.....Great photo!

Thanks folks and it was called "Classic" the boot was so large, one of the advertisements showed a small horse lying in it......when I find the neg or pos I have another go at scanning it. Also it might be interesting to see old shots, for the female members, in seeing hairstyles and clothes used in the 60's

Last edited:
Kodachrome was a great film, this shot is about 40 years old:-

Not sure if this is what was intended for this thread, but here are a couple of 1977 Kodachromes taken in the Northern Territory, in Oz. The first is my wife pretending she's about to eat a witchety grub...

And this is of the Olgas, taken from on top of Ayer's Rock. The latter is called Uluru nowadays, and the indigenous custodians don't like people climbing it, and I think the Olgas are called Kata Chuta or similar.

(BTW, the high hit rate was entirely in my imagination, on a quick trawl through. Strong light means strong shadows and a fair number have that weird netting effect in them...)

(BTW, the high hit rate was entirely in my imagination, on a quick trawl through. Strong light means strong shadows and a fair number have that weird netting effect in them...)

The netting effect is simply the scanner trying to extract information that it simply can't get at, essentially its scanner noise and no fault really of the original slide.

***Not sure if this is what was intended for this thread***

Nice shots Chris....well we have "The way we were" this thread could be "The way it was" in colour preferable slide film to keep in with OP shot's.

***Not sure if this is what was intended for this thread***

Nice shots Chris....well we have "The way we were" this thread could be "The way it was" in colour preferable slide film to keep in with OP shot's.

It certainly isn't what I expected to happen but it's interesting so let's continue! Keeping any images posted to Kodachrome or Ektachrome would be good though so there's a common theme. :)

It certainly isn't what I expected to happen but it's interesting so let's continue! Keeping any images posted to Kodachrome or Ektachrome would be good though so there's a common theme. :)

I'm glad you don't mind, but also it has to be mentioned "preferably no modern shots".....for whatever prior date you think is OK.

Well at the time about 1965, I thought this shot was funny as it was so crowded you couldn't swing a cat, maybe someone knows this beach in the South of England.
Perutz

My mother and father's Ford Classic in 1966...he had a sharp rangefinder and it wasn't expensive S\H, but have forgotten what it was.
Kodachrome

Well at the time about 1965, I thought this shot was funny as it was so crowded you couldn't swing a cat, maybe someone knows this beach in the South of England. Perutz http://s304.photobucket.com/user/ch... for forums/perutz1000px_zps4980d130.jpg.html My mother and father's Ford Classic in 1966...he had a sharp rangefinder and it wasn't expensive S\H, but have forgotten what it was. Kodachrome http://s304.photobucket.com/user/ch...orums/Kodachrome3-1000px_zps1151e710.jpg.html

Love the Beach shot. Sadly can't name it. But it's even got a bloke with a knotted hankie on his head. Pure class, more please.

What a wonderful thread.

Love the Beach shot. Sadly can't name it. But it's even got a bloke with a knotted hankie on his head. Pure class, more please.

What a wonderful thread.

Thanks.....the handkerchief was the funniest bit, and when I projected the slide at home made people laugh, so any snap taken today can be interesting in the future.

I think Kodachromes look vintage regardless of when they were shot, its the flavour we recognise as vintage, not necessarily the content.
Were it not for her hair style, you couldn't date the first one, the other two are undateable despite looking "vintage"..:)

I think Kodachromes look vintage regardless of when they were shot, its the flavour we recognise as vintage, not necessarily the content.
Were it not for her hair style, you couldn't date the first one, the other two are undateable despite looking "vintage"..:)

Oi. My thread, my date rulzzz. :D

I know what you mean but it isn't just Kodachrome and Ektachrome I'm specifically interested in here, images from days gone by are a big part of the fascination for me. Even if there's no content that's date-specific, I find just knowing that image was created 40-odd years ago interesting.

Last edited:
Ireland about 1970....h'mm why did I put my car in the shot.

Kodachrome

Last edited:
Well at the time about 1965, I thought this shot was funny as it was so crowded you couldn't swing a cat, maybe someone knows this beach in the South of England.
Perutz

My mother and father's Ford Classic in 1966...he had a sharp rangefinder and it wasn't expensive S\H, but have forgotten what it was.
Kodachrome

I don't know which beach this is but the shot is great, it's nice to see what looks to be a classic knotted handkie sported by the chap in the blue jacket.:)

Last edited:
I don't know which beach this is but the shot is great, it's nice to see what looks to be a classic knotted handkie sported by the chap in the blue jacket.:)

Thanks..It's a shame we can't upload pictures at more than 1000px (for better looking shots) straight from our hardrive....also I'm running out of bandwidth from photobucket, to show some more shots that might interest members. :shrug:

Back