L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

Wondering if anyone could offer advice on a flash for a Panny S5? Thinking that I'd like to be able to bounce a little more light around indoors and something on the camera would be useful. Having just bought it, a 'cost effective' solution needed.
I have this one
View: https://youtu.be/f2_nwxBU7gg

Not the very cheapest but the flash is brilliant, no pun intended.

I also have three more that I use primarily on Fujifilm, well the mkii versions and I've owned the tt350 before too. Tried a bunch and godox are the winners for me.

New Preview of the S5ii out on DPreview - looks promising but won't be trading in my S5 as I don't shoot video.

Seems quite expensive too compared to the S5 at £1999 although LCE are doing a £300 trade in bonus...

The 14-28 @ £699 looks very interesting though ! Only weighs 345g !!

Looking forward to reviews of that !

Going to wait and see what more reviews say about it prior to making a decision. I was hoping for faster burst speeds in AFC for my pet photos, but looks like it's 9 FPS and 30 with electronic shutter (although he wasn't very complimentary about it). They were not overly complimentary on the AF hit rate with him running either so not sure what to think. Microfour Nerds has a review up on YouTube and she mentioned the 30 FPS mode reverts back to the old AF detect method to enable it to keep up. Chelsea and her fella have a good review out but compared it to the A7iii and once again it doesn't look like it has a great hit rate at all in AFC even compared to the older A7iii.

No 6k photo mode either which means no more pre burst capture. The 30 FPS electronic shutter replaced it.

Edit. It's actually 7 FPS with Mech and AFC and the reviews I've watched demonstrated it was still circa 50% off the mark.

Last edited:
Yeah as a landscaper I'm not blown away by the S5 Mk2 and see no need to add it to my bag, so another Mk1 will be added soon I think now I know I'm not missing out. Was really hoping the Mk2 X was going to be a high res version, but it's just even more video oriented. Hey ho, no great loss, and money saving too :)

Yeah as a landscaper I'm not blown away by the S5 Mk2 and see no need to add it to my bag, so another Mk1 will be added soon I think now I know I'm not missing out. Was really hoping the Mk2 X was going to be a high res version, but it's just even more video oriented. Hey ho, no great loss, and money saving too :)

You'll probably get some fab deals on the current S5 soon also, so a good outcome for you there :)

As a video person, I'm quite keen on getting either the S5 II or the S5 II X to replace my S5. I'll have to wait and see what deals are like over the coming months. I'm sure the new PDAF will be implemented in all new Panasonic bodies moving forward, so it will be interesting to see what comes next from Panasonic.

For me it's a brilliant release, and technically only a mark ii. It seems to have been reviewed by 99% of YouTube too

Until yesterday the offer was extra battery and 50mm and £400 off. I find it difficult to see that will be bettered. Thoughts?
That was a mega deal, and had I known the specs of the Mk2 at the time that deal was on, I'd have wen for it.

Will have to wait and see I suppose. I'm not jumping on the S5 mkii at present. I'll stick with what I have for now and see what materialises later on down the line.
I think that's a good plan, after thinking about it last night, I'm going to do the same and wait for a while. I'm still enjoying the S5 and I've not really had any situations where it has let me down.

The amount of money Panasonic must have spent inviting so many people to Japan, plus sending them off with cameras and lenses... Hope it works out. The camera looks spot on though my S5 has so much life in it so I can't really justify the new one... but hey, maybe the S6 :D

The amount of money Panasonic must have spent inviting so many people to Japan, plus sending them off with cameras and lenses... Hope it works out. The camera looks spot on though my S5 has so much life in it so I can't really justify the new one... but hey, maybe the S6 :D
My favourite reviews (cough, cough) are the various ones I've seen that have the heading BEST CAMERA 2023....seriously, it's the first week of January lol.

I wonder if they will do new versions of the S1/S1R, etc

My favourite reviews (cough, cough) are the various ones I've seen that have the heading BEST CAMERA 2023....seriously, it's the first week of January lol.

No no, IS IT WORTH IT IN 2024?!?!

I've pre-ordered the 14-28 and am now waiting not very patiently for it to arrive. There are some examples up on both the DPReview site (some of the sample shots on the S5ii review are taken with it), and there's also a specific mini review of it on photographyblog.com with some samples (not great samples, but at least something):

https://www.photographyblog.com/previews/panasonic_lumix_s_14_28mm_f4_5_6_macro_photos

From the examples I've seen, it looks as good as the 20-60, so I'm feeling happy about that!

S1R is very interesting and I watch the L mount system with interest.

I’ve been enviously watching this thread for a while now, I’m currently running a Nikon Z7 but still miss some of the m43 features from my Oly EM1 II I had a few years back. Amazon are currently doing such a good deal on the S5 + 20-60 zoom (£1399 plus a £200 discount) that I’ve finally caved in and pulled the trigger on it. I can’t wait to get my hands on it and given I really don’t need the resolution of the Z7 I’m hoping it will give me the best of both m43 and full frame. Now just hoping it turns up when my better half is at work

I’ve been enviously watching this thread for a while now, I’m currently running a Nikon Z7 but still miss some of the m43 features from my Oly EM1 II I had a few years back. Amazon are currently doing such a good deal on the S5 + 20-60 zoom (£1399 plus a £200 discount) that I’ve finally caved in and pulled the trigger on it. I can’t wait to get my hands on it and given I really don’t need the resolution of the Z7 I’m hoping it will give me the best of both m43 and full frame. Now just hoping it turns up when my better half is at work

When are you expecting it? The 20-60 practically lives on my S5 now. I think it's a cracking little lens. I don't have that many lenses (20-30 / 24-105 / 50 & 85 mm).

Last edited:
So you're like a kid waiting for Christmas at the moment then lol
Pretty much :) Does anyone have any recommendations for an L-bracket that works well with the S5? There’s loads of generic ones on Amazon but I can’t see any specifically for it.

Pretty much :) Does anyone have any recommendations for an L-bracket that works well with the S5? There’s loads of generic ones on Amazon but I can’t see any specifically for it.
I use a Smallrig one on mine, purchased from Amazon although it looks to have disappeared from there now, maybe avaiable elsewhere still though.

One from my trip to Turkey last year, taken with the S5 and 24-105. I love the close focus ability of this lens, allowing me to get super close to this wasp (?). This is the full uncropped image, I just wish I had stopped down further or taken more shots to stack afterwards.

P1012006 edited (Custom).jpg

The 20-60 is quite an amazing little lens. I have no complaints about its IQ and the size and weight are perfect. It's a great landscape lens.

The deals on the S5 at the moment are amazing. I think it's a really very good camera. I had a Z7 a couple of years ago but just didn't gel with it.

Back