L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

BTW - here's a shot I took with the EM1.3 on a much nicer day but almost exactly two years earlier. The position is slightly to the right and it's shot a bit wider (8mm). I wanted to do the same with the S5, but I'd left the tripod at home and so needed somewhere to perch the camera which I could only do a bit further left. It's interesting to note that two years ago there were no leaves on the trees at the same time of the year.

Baddesley Clinton by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

We could do, what time would suit?

I'm stealing digits from work (my own company) as I want to get out more with the camera
I can be flexible. I'm semi-retired now but doing about half-time with some consultancy. I have no specific constraints tomorrow aside from needing to do some prep for a project kicking off now, but I can do that anytime. Maybe switch to PM to arrange?

I'd love a Panasonic 70-300 or Sigma 100-400 but I know I wouldn't use such a long lens often enough to make it worth the outlay, so I bought a cheap vintage 70-210 lens and adapter for the S5 and tried it out at Bradgate Park. I'm quite pleased with the results for such an old lens:

P1025164 edited (Custom).jpg

P1025184 edited (Custom).jpg

P1025226 edited (Custom).jpg

I think I'll be getting a bit deeper into L-mount.

Anyone got any lenses for sale? I'm particularly looking for a 16-35 (or Sigma 16-28, but I guess that's a bit new for used copies) and the 24-105.

There are a couple 24-105 lenses on ebay, I've been very pleased with mine.

Last edited:
Thanks to Justin (@justa1972), via a post on another forum, I found a nice used 24-105 at a good price at LCE Guildford. I also found the Sigma 16-28 at Bristol Street Cameras at £50 off (every little helps!) so that’s now ordered too!

So I’ve now got a kit for my S5 which should cover most of my landscape needs:

- Sigma 16-28
- Panasonic 24-105
- TTArtisan 11mm f2.8 fisheye
- Panasonic 20-60

I may sell the 20-60, but OTOH, they‘re not expensive so it might be worth keeping as a lightweight walkabout lens.

I‘m looking forward to my continuing L mount journey!

This shot below, taken with my EM1.3 + PL8-18, is the latest reason why I’ve decided to switch most of my landscape photography to the S5. Take a look at the shadows on the left and the noise is pretty awful. The lighting was a challenge of course, but this is a 5 shot 5 EV bracket and I’ve tried every PP trick on it I know, including selective NR, to get it where I want it. And it’s still a bit ugly. So I‘ve (once again!) come to the conclusion that FF is really a better place to be for landscape.

Now I‘m not saying that m43 can’t do landscape, but it does bump up against the stops more quickly than FF. Whatever kit we use will be a compromise of course and many will say that m43 is a compromise too far for landscape photography. I think I’m coming to that view; when I travel somewhere for a shoot, it’s good for peace of mind to know that I’ve got better files in the bag for later PP. This shot is a perfect example of this. I had the S5 with me, but didn’t have a wide-enough lens to frame the tree without it being obscured by branches from other trees. I needed to be closer than the 20-60 would let me be. However, the 20-60 images I got (despite the poor framing) are way better in technical terms than this from the EM1.3.

Now, I‘ve had previous forays into other FF mirrorless with first an A7r ii and later a Z7, but I didn’t get on with either camera. This S5 though is really very nice - it’s got the closest features to the Oly cameras I’ve used for years and the handling is great. Now I’m keeping my fingers crossed that L mount continues with a bright future. We’ve got the S5ii coming soon I guess, which at least gives cause for optimism that Panasonic are still committed.

Two for the Price of One by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Some nice images @Pdk42 Paul and glad you're enjoying L Mount.

Are there any landscapers using the 18mm prime in anger yet? I keep looking at it, even though 20mm is plenty wide enough for me, but I also don't want to spend £800 on something I wont use all that often, unless it's stellar....

Are there any landscapers using the 18mm prime in anger yet? I keep looking at it, even though 20mm is plenty wide enough for me, but I also don't want to spend £800 on something I wont use all that often, unless it's stellar....
Its available for £639 at the moment

What would the 18mm prime do for landscape that one of the UWA zooms wouldn't do?

Thanks. I'm really enjoying the S5, and the lenses I have. Above all else, the S5's low light performance is stellar. I took a bunch of family photos over Christmas in really poor interior light and the results at ISO 6400 are just amazing.

As to the 18mm - I've never found prime lenses any real advantage over zooms for landscapes. Maybe the sunstars are better, but modern zoom lenses are nearly as good as primes, and in some cases better.

What would the 18mm prime do for landscape that one of the UWA zooms wouldn't do?
I like using primes for one, but I already have my lens line up that I'm happy with (20-60, 70-300 and 85mm) and don't really need anything wider than 20mm, but there's always the odd occasion where slightly wider would be handy. I don't want to go to an UWA zoom as it would mean a complete lens switch up and I'm just not into UWA.

Thanks. I'm really enjoying the S5, and the lenses I have. Above all else, the S5's low light performance is stellar. I took a bunch of family photos over Christmas in really poor interior light and the results at ISO 6400 are just amazing.

As to the 18mm - I've never found prime lenses any real advantage over zooms for landscapes. Maybe the sunstars are better, but modern zoom lenses are nearly as good as primes, and in some cases better.
I just prefer primes in general, always have done before I switched to Lumix, not for sunstars though, they're one of my biggest bugbears in landscape photography. Nothing worse than a lovely composed image ruined by a big distracting sunburst.

S5 Mk2 and S5 Mk2 X soon to be announced, with the Mk2 apparently going to be on sale Feb, and the Mk2 X (high res version) June/July time apparently....looking forward to seeing the full specs of both.

The rumours are that the S5 MkII will get phase detect AF, that will be interesting to see. There are also rumours of a Panasonic 14-28mm F4-5.6 MACRO lens being released at the same time. You can read the details on the L Rumours website

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is the same shape and size as the S5 but comes with better autofocus (so I can capture better images of the little dog I have) and has a faster FPS rate in CAF.

I am keeping my M43 kit until I come back from USA in 2023 and then may let that go and use it towards the new S5ii.

Wondering if anyone could offer advice on a flash for a Panny S5? Thinking that I'd like to be able to bounce a little more light around indoors and something on the camera would be useful. Having just bought it, a 'cost effective' solution needed.

Wondering if anyone could offer advice on a flash for a Panny S5? Thinking that I'd like to be able to bounce a little more light around indoors and something on the camera would be useful. Having just bought it, a 'cost effective' solution needed.

I purchased one of these from WEX and haven't had any issues with it. It works on my M43 Lumix cameras also which was a plus.

Back