L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

@Adam-G

Just wondering what settings you have used on the S5II for AF for your dog pictures.

I picked mine up yesterday but haven't set it up yet (mom was taken to hospital) so I'm going to be sat at home today (waiting on hospital news) so I can delve into the settings. I've looked at YT but most videos on there are about video settings.
Hi bud, hope your Mom is ok!

I customise usually. At the moment I'm using:

AF Sensitivity +2
AF Area Switching Sensitivity +-0
Moving Subject Prediction +1

I would definitely experiment though, based on the speed and direction and how much the subject stands out you may get better results from other settings.

The most important thing is to work on your tracking technique and to ensure you have a subject locked before starting to fire bursts.

All this abougt the S5 ii being sufficient for dog in action photography is very encouraging. I am contemplating a move to the S5 ii from m43 (Oly EM1.2) as I have become a little disillusioned with m43 and I'd quite like to get some fun back in my photography. The Lumix's Xpan mode and LUT/mono profiles are intriguing and may help with this; I just need to be able to capture my dog out and about fairly reliably. I'm assuming the custom buttons can be set up like m43 so you can go from tripod/S-AF mode to a continuous autofocus with burst selection in a turn of the dial? How bad is rolling shutter when shooting dogs, the em1 isn't bad and better than the Fuji X-H1 that I tried last year.

Last edited:
All this abougt the S5 ii being sufficient for dog in action photography is very encouraging. I am contemplating a move to the S5 ii from m43 (Oly EM1.2) as I have become a little disillusioned with m43 and I'd quite like to get some fun back in my photography. The Lumix's Xpan mode and LUT/mono profiles are intriguing and may help with this; I just need to be able to capture my dog out and about fairly reliably. I'm assuming the custom buttons can be set up like m43 so you can go from tripod/S-AF mode to a continuous autofocus with burst selection in a turn of the dial? How bad is rolling shutter when shooting dogs, the em1 isn't bad and better than the Fuji X-H1 that I tried last year.
There is a convenient focus mode toggle easily accessible via your right thumb and you can customise almost any button to do what you like.

I have my ISO applied to the rear wheel so I have it in easy reach and I also have the VLOG profile assigned to the front function button so I'm not rooting through menus if I need to capture log video.

As a general rule for most cameras, rolling shutter tends to be most prominent in panning shots where there are elements with straight vertical lines. Unless this is your use case for your dog photos then I doubt it's going to pop up much.

I haven't done extensive testing however as the mechanical shutter is fine for my needs.

Last edited:
Sorry, I've not had much time to play with mine since I got it as works been mad hectic. I am hopeful of some spare time this weekend and will grab the S5II and see what the AF is like in more detail.

Silly Q, if I take portraits of the dogs with the 14-28 at the wide end, I'm assuming it will distort the face somewhat? Seen some funny and quirky images online and fancy copying one if I can

Last edited:
Sorry, I've not had much time to play with mine since I got it as works been mad hectic. I am hopeful of some spare time this weekend and will grab the S5II and see what the AF is like in more detail.

Silly Q, if I take portraits of the dogs with the 14-28 at the wide end, I'm assuming it will distort the face somewhat? Seen some funny and quirky images online and fancy copying one if I can
Yes if you frame a portrait shot using a wide angle lens the face will be distorted. It can work with the right shot but generally it's not very flattering.

How much better is the S5ii for running dog photography compared to the original S5 which obviously can be had for a lot cheaper these days. I know that the fps is a lot lower but how well does the 6K Photo Mode work? Other than the different AF system and the better EVF, what other benefits does the Mk2 have (purely from a stills perspective) over the original S5?

How much better is the S5ii for running dog photography compared to the original S5 which obviously can be had for a lot cheaper these days. I know that the fps is a lot lower but how well does the 6K Photo Mode work? Other than the different AF system and the better EVF, what other benefits does the Mk2 have (purely from a stills perspective) over the original S5?
From what I remember, 6K photo mode is 18MP jpeg only. Been a year since I switched from S5 to S5ii though so someone will have to back me up or correct me!

The S5ii does 30FPS Raw electronic shutter at full sensor resolution.

I think if you're looking at taking fast moving action, the burst rate is the least of your worries with the original S5.

At 7fps mechanical my hit rate for in focus shots for a running dog was around 50-60%. I never tried the 6K Photo Mode more than once but if the Contrast Detect AF couldn't keep up at 7fps, it's not gonna manage at 30.

The S5 is a great camera for sure but you need to be aware of its limitations when used in your intended scenario.

Thanks Adam, its for occasional use for running dogs (my running dog). What's your hit rate with the Mk2?

Thanks Adam, its for occasional use for running dogs (my running dog). What's your hit rate with the Mk2?
I'd say I get twice as many hits, eyes in focus. I've got a lot more confidence in it.

Well I went out for a quick ten minutes this morning to get some of the dog running and decided to start with the little one running straight at me. I need to play around with the settings more as I got a few but some still out of focus. Doesn't help that her nose and eyes sit on the same level, so she's got a flat face, so whilst the AF system had locked focus some of them the nose is in focus but the eyes aren't lol. I was only in S mode (it was freezing). So I need to use M and perhaps put the shutter from 800, up the F stop a little to increase depth of field.

I was using CAF and the one box option with animal turned on.

I'll go out again tomorrow and set the SS to say 1000 and FTP 5.6 as a start.

What I will say is every single image I took and played back the AF had the little green box either on her eye or around her face..much better than the old S5.

Last edited:
70-300

The AF has clocked her face, but cause her face is flat, it sometimes catches her nose not her eyes. It's still a million time better than the S5 was, I gave up with that and just used to use 6k photo mode.

I was only using normal burst mode, so I can improve the chances even further by using the 30 FPS shutter tomorrow

Last edited:
Had another 10 minute play out the back and got some great shots within about 5 minutes so I'm happy.

Harder than it looks isn't it, this dog photography stuff. Wonder if it's easier when they aren't running directly at you.

Last edited:
What did you change?
I changed to manual from S mode. Set SS to 800, F7.1 and ISO was 2000 (bad light).

Then I just sat and played around with the focus modes whilst in CAF. Didn't have to use the 30FPS either, just normal burst. I was only out the back for 5-10 minutes as it is cold and I was sat on the floor, but I got 4/5 keepers out of that which I'm really happy with. The more I play now the better I will get.

I just had a (virtual) look at the 1.2. How do you get in with the weight - it looks to a heavy little beast. Have you compared with any other 35mm L-mount? Thinking of getting one of them.
I’m basically a gorilla so the weight doesn’t bother me really. I know Lumix’s own 1.8 is very well thought of and the Sigma 1.4 is apparently great too. I just got the 1.2 cos I do a lot of low light gigs and wanted to treat myself.

These are lovely
Thanks buddy, from what I've read online capturing dogs running straight at the camera isn't easy. I've watched a few pros on on YT (that tog spot for one) and even they say it's hard. Jess on that tog spot, often positions a log or something in the path, locks focus round the log and then when the dog jumps over it she fires away. I'll get better but the AF is doing so much better also.

Out of curiosity what F stop are you using when capturing them running towards the camera?

Thanks buddy, from what I've read online capturing dogs running straight at the camera isn't easy. I've watched a few pros on on YT (that tog spot for one) and even they say it's hard. Jess on that tog spot, often positions a log or something in the path, locks focus round the log and then when the dog jumps over it she fires away. I'll get better but the AF is doing so much better also.

Out of curiosity what F stop are you using when capturing them running towards the camera?
Depends on the lens. I've shot them at anything from f1.2 for a wider angle prime to f7 at Super Tele. I could definitely get into the habit of stopping down a bit to minimise error though!

Only got a day to decide on the S5ii and offer online with the 20-60/50/85. Seems ridiculous value.

I was looking at the A7iv but the value of the S5 seems so good.

I want to start shooting more video and the A9 just isn’t the camera for that.

Only got a day to decide on the S5ii and offer online with the 20-60/50/85. Seems ridiculous value.

I was looking at the A7iv but the value of the S5 seems so good.

I want to start shooting more video and the A9 just isn’t the camera for that.
I think S5ii is a better video camera and A7iv is a better hybrid.

Reactions: CSB
I think S5ii is a better video camera and A7iv is a better hybrid.

Yeah I agree after reading in to both cameras. 2k budget is also limiting the Sony choice. £1500-1600 for a used body only leaves £400 for a lens or 2.

S5ii currently just a smidge over 2k with 20-60, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8.

Yeah I agree after reading in to both cameras. 2k budget is also limiting the Sony choice. £1500-1600 for a used body only leaves £400 for a lens or 2.

S5ii currently just a smidge over 2k with 20-60, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8.
But you already have Sony lenses?
Do you also have other Sony related bits like spare batteries, flashes etc?
All that can add up...

In the end though manufacturers will charge whatever they feel they can get away with. Sony bodies are becoming more expensive and they still sell fair bit more which gives them less incentive to be as competitive.

But you already have Sony lenses?
Do you also have other Sony related bits like spare batteries, flashes etc?
All that can add up...

In the end though manufacturers will charge whatever they feel they can get away with. Sony bodies are becoming more expensive and they still sell fair bit more which gives them less incentive to be as competitive.

Bare bones at the moment. A9 + 70-200 2.8 mk1 plus 3 batteries! I was going to shell out on some primes for the A9 and try some more video but we have had some other financial stuff that has taken priority.

I might just hold for a bit, by a cheap as chips prime and see how things settle financially in a month or so!

I got an email from Panasonic today saying they will have a stand at the Photography Show (first time in 5 years!). I'm looking forward to seeing all their latest kit on display. Is anyone else going?

Back